• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what is the wheelbase on a bobbed 1971 M35A2 kaiser? considering a zj body swap/drop

sigma

Have a zj I that will go in the ground with me due to some emotional attachments. IDGAF what anyone thinks. Ill keep it till I die, and then it goes with me.

Now on to my stupid idea. Answers and advice appreciated.

Thinking about hacking the entire thing onto a beater 1971 M35A2 as a fun/winter truck. I am not a stickler for keeping it jeep/jeep for any brand loyalty purposes, just that these things are jeep priced, so why not?

00K0K_lgddz2mMcMu_1200x900.jpg

zj wheelbase, which clearly is somewhat irrelevant, is 106"ish, with overall body length of 177"ish

I have no idea what the wheelbase on 71 M35A2, and my googlefu is not great at the moment. So anyone that knows that wheelbase front to mid axle would be helping me out a bit.

I also am very ignorant about the bobbing process in general. Do you chop the rear off and leave the mid axle?
swap the rear axles and you can pretty much set a custom wheelbase easily-ish because the frame needs to be reworked anyhow? or what?

Is it reasonable to shorten the wheel base up to be slightly more accommodating to a project like this?

I am happy for the jeep to look mad max, I am not attempting to build some show piece. But if I can make it look half decent I would like to know if its possible and how I might go about doing it.

This would also allow me to get rid of my 4x4 tundra hopefully, which I only ever use the 4X4 in occasionally.

so yeah. thanks

And just to reiterate, I am not over-concerned with creating a super functional daily driver. In fact not at all. If it will go through the mud and snow decently, thats cool. Everything else is negotiable.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A general site search for "bobbed wheelbase" rendered me 187 results.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
You can make it any wheel base u want,remove the entire rear suspension and get another set of front springs from another deuce,,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 2' too long for your wb.

sigma

considering I am happy to butcher the zj body that could work out perfectly.

so if you take a 130" wheel base and say, for example, you were running 54"s that would give you 76" between the tires.

zj wheel well to well is just under that, meaning you just cut the wells out like a crawler, and slot the body down in their without having to deviate from how people usually bob these it seems.

I saw the thread and wasn't sure about the process, so I wasn't sure if people were speaking about measurements relating to the bed.

I guess people are tired of noob questions here. I build buy sell and race bikes for a living if anyone cares.

I think I can get a decent running m35a2 around the 2.5 mark. could I expect to actually get anything back for the spare axle and fenders and cab and extra stuff?