• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Is The WIDTH Outside Tire to Outside Tire of a HMMWV??

I seem to find the dimension of 71" on-line, but I wanted to ask. I won a HMMWV at auction and I have a car hauler with side rails. I want to be sure before I drive to the base that the HMMWV will fit on the hauler width wise... Thanks!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will fit on a regular car hauler trailer...but most are 6500lbs rated and the hmmwv is a bit over that.
i have a CH 60 big tex and have hauled many hmmwv's....imwould make sure your tires are aired up properly and good condition. It just squeezes on, air up the tires to 40-45 psi...unless they are old bias plus. The max on MT's, MTR and BFG's is 50psi cold.if your skirts are in the way...build a ramp and drive over them till the front tires clear, then you are good....that **** truck is heavy. I'm pulling with a 2015 2500 Duramax with 765ft lbs of torque....pulls it well, but you know it's back there.

I used a U-Haul and it was 81" between the fenders. TIGHT FIT !!!
Sounds perfect.
My trailer has about 84" between fenders.
I'm guessing that the 86" which is stated on the official chart, includes side view mirrors when folded?

Mike82ndABN

I just brought home a truck on a uhaul. It was 82 inches wide. There's a little overhang on each side.

You want the silver auto transport. There's a 7000lb version and a 7500lb version, both silver. There's also a red one that you don't want.

I just brought home a truck on a uhaul. It was 82 inches wide. There's a little overhang on each side.

You want the silver auto transport. There's a 7000lb version and a 7500lb version, both silver. There's also a red one that you don't want.
Thanks for the U-haul tip.
I'm actually hoping to use my skidsteer trailer. It's a Pequea rated for 10,000lbs, however the axles can hold 12,000lbs and the frame is the same that's used for both the 12,000lb and 14,000lb models. It's a bit short at 14' so I may have to find a different hauling position for the ramps...
http://www.pequea.com/images/stories/manuals/trailer/skidsteer/SkidsteerTrailers_SS_lo.pdf
Probably going to pick it up in January at the rate that the paperwork supposedly moves.
Fortunately my High Output Ram 3500 dually is 4wd so the likely snowstorm should be manageable.

1991 and drove it right on the trailer..View attachment 580675
Looks great! new top, doors, and tires?
how many miles did the meter have when you picked it up?

Is it lifted? any thoughts on coil spring spacers? I've read that if you want to fit a 12valve cummins, a 2" lift is needed.
I'm guessing that lifting it will also bring the tires closer together?

Looks like I've still got a few months to wait before I can pick up my 1993.
IMG_4433.JPG
took the photo the day before sale, had to climb... to inspect it. batteries where still good.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You only lift the body...not the suspension. Here in my opinion FWIW...anything other then the factory motors will do nothing but make you work on this truck more then You might want....plug and play is key. The truck wasnt designed for a cummins.
so it's a hack job to say the least. Seen many...but in the end, they are problematic....with varying issues, One that seems to be most common is running hot. Even the Duramax conversions have a habit of running real hot...I've had them in my shop...this is on trucks with 50k dumped into them and all sorts of cooling fans, intercoolersc head cooling kits etc..
the key to these conversions is money,time, resources and mechanical ability.

You only lift the body...not the suspension. Here in my opinion FWIW...anything other then the factory motors will do nothing but make you work on this truck more then You might want....plug and play is key. The truck wasnt designed for a cummins.
so it's a hack job to say the least. Seen many...but in the end, they are problematic....with varying issues, One that seems to be most common is running hot. Even the Duramax conversions have a habit of running real hot...I've had them in my shop...this is on trucks with 50k dumped into them and all sorts of cooling fans, intercoolersc head cooling kits etc..
the key to these conversions is money,time, resources and mechanical ability.
I might be getting a little off topic...
But you seem very knowledgable so I'm seizing the opportunity.
Any body lift kits you can recommend?
Mine has the 6.2 with almost 8,000miles on meter.
The oil pressure gauge reads a little over 30(normal?). but the oil is very dark. do you think putting in fresh oil will give a higher reading? starts like a champ, no detected blow-by. Was planning to keep this motor as long as it runs well.
been thinking of a cummins because of fuel consumption. what are the best MPGs you've ever heard of for an HMMWV with a 6.2?
Any modifications to help?
I've got a 5.9 cummins in my ram 3500, barely notice the fuel gauge move.
Thanks!

Last edited:

DatGuyC

I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge in my m998 with the 6.2. I get about 30psi idle that goes down to 25 if I stop right after driving on the highway and the oil is hotter.

I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge in my m998 with the 6.2. I get about 30psi idle that goes down to 25 if I stop right after driving on the highway and the oil is hotter.
I'm trying to understand how some of these 6.2 m988's can have readings of 55 or even 60 when I've read that 25 and 30 are normal.
I had thought that higher pressure was a sign of a less worn engine.
What did these engines have for oil pressure when new?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
30 psi is normal...dont ever trust a mil gauge anyway.

Oil is always black on these motors

You dont buy mil vehicles for fuel mileage...get a prius if its a major concern.

Lift kits are simple shims...use hockey pucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks