• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this and what is it worth? M57?

gtgdrew

I have this old Dodge on my property. It has a weird bed on it and Im thinking about selling it. Does anyone have some info on this truck? Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 12.25.09 PM.jpg

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like what is left of a Navy crash truck after a fire department got done with it.

It is worth whatever the market will bear, depending on the condition of the truck.

3dAngus

I've never heard of a M57, but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist.
One picture doesnt tell the story, but, from what I do see, it could be a M-37 with lots of local fabrication work.
You'll need full all around pictures for people to see to sell it, so they can figure out what it would take to strip that junk metal off of there and rebuild.
Then too, its kinda neat and unique as it is, and a buyer may just want it just like that.
Good luck.put up some more pics and list it in the classifieds. m-37s are bringing good money today.

FrankUSMC

Looks like the remains of an MB2. I have seen one almost like this where the doors were removed. The back has been cut, and you can make out the hatch on the roof of the cab.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

nattieleather

If you could get some info off of that data plate that might help solve the mystery. I'm thinking it's was an M43 ambulance that some cut down to make into that.

@gunboy1656 That's a Kaiser M725 ambulance that has been modified.

Oldfart

http://vintagemilitaryvehicles.com/2014/10/super-rare-navy-mb-2-crash-rescue-truck-2/

Plowboy came up with this series of photos. It sold October of 2014 for $6500. This is the most complete M2B I have seen (actually only seen one of these in person and the rest I have found have been photos.) The M2B body was made by Gichner and it was mounted on an M56 chassis. Note the fire nozzle and tanks in the bed as original equipment.

Oldfart

The better number is 130 M2B's built and as best as I can determine, 308 or 312 of the Air Force R2's were built. There seems to be a different mindset in the purpose of the two trucks. The Navy M2B truck had a foam spray nozzle, chemicals and water on board, no winch and seems designed to suppress fire. On the other hand, the Air Force truck had a ladder stored inside the truck that was pulled out the back to deploy and it was equipped with all sorts of electrically driven power tools (chainsaw) powered by a 180 cycle PTO driven generator. There were entrance hand tools mounted on the back doors of the R2 like and axe and pry bars. All the R2's had a winch with a grapple hook. ~~~ Cabell Garbee has accumulated some photos of both the R2 and M2B on his web site.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks