• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this hole?

Gravel

Searched and searched, even looked through dozens of pics and I am coming up empty handed. (course its probably just cause I don't know that one key word to search with) I have seen several with the hole but a blank cover there, and seen one with the hole open like mine, but nothing to indicate what it actually is.

Hole outlined in red though its hard to see, next to the fender light.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The lower hole is actually the correct air intake for the heater. There is supposed to be an angled metal elbow that attaches to that panel and the hose then attaches to that and takes the air to the heater box on the inner fender.

Gravel

Ohhhh.....

If anyone is so kind and can provide a pic of said setup, that would be awesome!!

BTW this does have heat, though its currently not installed. The side panels and hood are off another rig entirely, so it would explain having dual holes.

Gravel

Well after going through another couple of hundred posts, I think I got a handle on this, its a late model thing, or a factory installed thing, or an USAF thing .This is an 83, so it falls into the late model thing. Could be a factory install. It does have a signal tower sticker in it. (ok, kinda got a handle on it rofl )

Now I need to find a side panel without a hole and the lower hole scoop.

Thanks for your help!

bottleworks

Re: RE: What is this hole?

Gravel said:
Well after going through another couple of hundred posts, I think I got a handle on this, its a late model thing, or a factory installed thing, or an USAF thing .This is an 83, so it falls into the late model thing.
Mine is a 1968 and has both holes, if that helps.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that the top hole was used most often with the older deuces and the newer, mid-80s deuces used the bottom hole as has been said above. I am not sure why they switched, but I think it makes more sense in the lower hole since the duct work makes it tight closing the engine side access door.

Gravel

Yeah, that was what I was thinking, that and the fact that it will be easier to get a new side panel than properly plug that hole.

I know the 5ton next to it has the upper panel scoop, but those are different in size and shape than the lower scoop, so it won't do me any good.

Thanks for your help guys!!

BTW I do not think this was a USAF truck. I did find this sticker kind of amusing though, it had to simply be put there as a joke.

Attachments

racer-xerols

The "closing the side panel" bit prompts me to ask: my Deuce has heat, with the upper hole used for the vent. The duct comes out of the side of the heater case facing the side cover, and there is no elbow there, just a bend in the hose. Closing the side cover seems to pinch the duct against the heater housing...is this right, or should there be an elbow turning forward before the flex duct attaches?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks