• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this hose?

BAZYRKYR

So this weekend an attempt is being made to install my Air-O-Matic air assist steering but I need to find out what type of Thermoid hose this is. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

WTF 2.jpg

It's the multilayer cloth hose with a metal coil in between the layers. It says...

THERMOID
RCSK 16931
3Q96

BAZYRKYR

Thanks...but I called them 4 hours ago and gave them the info on it (after searching the internet for hours since I got this thing) and they are having an issue finding it and are now having a senior management staff member trying to find it. I was hoping to find someone who knew exactly what it is or what a suitable substitute would be.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several large lots of those hoses sold on the GL site last month, surprised they haven't shown up for sale. The purpose of the hose is to route return low air pressure from the sterring actuator back to the engine instead of being vented overboard. Any hose with the correct ID will work. This hose set up is unique to the M35A3. Modifing a M35A2 may take an adapter to plumb to the engine intake.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll get back to you tomorrow , got to go up to the shop to get a look at the truck. If anything, it can be let to vent in the engine compartment.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Baz,
the air line Is plumbed into the air inlet between the air filter and turbo inlet. Maybe drill and install a connector in the air filter housing or let it vent overboard.

BAZYRKYR

Thanks for the info guys...I appreciate it. We never ended up getting a chance to install it because we ended up working on other things but I'm glad it worked out that way because I was able to get a brand new kit that had never been open so we're going to wait and install that one. Thankfully the kit comes with instructions so it will make it much easier to install.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to buy hose/fittings like that at the Cummins dealer. It was referred to as "stratoflex".

BAZYRKYR

The smaller hoses look like the stratoflex you mentioned but the larger one in the picture with the red arrow pointing to it looks like some thing else. Its made by Thermoid and actually I'm waiting for them to get back to me. In any case...I was lucky enough to come across a brand new Air-O-Matic in an unopened box this weekend so I went ahead an bought it so now this Air-O-Matic is for sale. If you happen to know anyone who might be interested in it please send them my way. I bought it about 3-4 weeks ago for $1200 so that's what I'm asking for it. Its in the Classifieds now.

Robert N

Hi, I have a general question. I would like to put air o matic on my deuce. New, they are $3000, used, they seem to be around $1500. How well do they work and what is a reasonable price for a used one?? Robert

welldigger

Hi, I have a general question. I would like to put air o matic on my deuce. New, they are $3000, used, they seem to be around $1500. How well do they work and what is a reasonable price for a used one?? Robert
There are a few things to remember about the air-o-matic. They are a steering assist, not power steering. They are also not made anymore....well sort of. The manufacturer makes a run of them once in a blue moon. Parts and rebuild kits are made in the same way. Meaning parts can sometimes be hard to find. If you buy a used unit then like any other used part, its a crap shoot as to what condition it is in. For not much more money than a used air-o-matic or less than a new unit you can have full hydraulic power steering. Find a member named m-35tom. Or go to his website WWW.waterloospecialties.com. He also gives a discount to steel soldiers members.

BAZYRKYR

Well from what I've been told they work pretty well but its not like hydraulic steering where you can turn it with your pinky like with the 900 series trucks. As far as price goes the new ones usually go for about $2500 but sometimes you get lucky and find them cheaper. The used are about $1500 like you said. I bought mine for $1200 but actually just put it up in the Classifieds for $1200 because I was able to find a brand new one at a good price. If you are interested let me know.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 4 trucks with air assist and they work well. I would never pay big dollars for a used unit.

From a post in the classifieds below.

"05-25-2013, 21:23 #4 TNJMurray
Join DateNov 2012LocationDover/DelawarePosts269Feedback Score2 (100%)
I have 3 kits n.o.s 2000.00 ea or I have some m35a3 trucks that we are parting out . Murco@tnjmurray.com "​

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Any kit $900-1400 should be jumped on if you are looking. So far most issues have been minor fixes if it needs fixing at all.

BAZYRKYR

What exactly is it you want to do? Start a new thread about a different topic? If so you need to go to the appropriate forum. There is a list of various forums at the SteelSoldier Home Page.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far I have only been able to respond to other peoples posts, I can't figure out how to start a post? Robert
You go to the forum you want to start a new thread in, click the "Post New Thread" towards the top of the page, add a title, your post and hit "Submit New Thread".

If you want images the easiest is to click on the movie screen "insert Image" button (with all the editing buttons) and follow the directions