• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this? No Really what is the name for this?

Stan Leschert

We are about to detail the truck in time for parade season. What is the proper name for the sleave that goes around the gate hook chain? It is a Royal pain to have go get out the touch up gun, to cover the chaffing. I only want to touch up 2x per year. Once in the spring, to fix the winter deterioration, and once in the fall, to preserve the metal for winter. Thanks. When I know the right name for it, I can get the proper one. Otherwise, I'll just have to bug my sailmaker.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tailgate chain guard is what I've heard it been called. John Tennis has new canvas ones for ya for sale. He goes by jatonka on this board.

mckeeranger

In the vintage and antique truck restoration world, we just call them tailgate chain covers.

Bicycle inner tubes make great ones, not authentic, but they work well. The problem with the Deuce is they have a welded link on the hook end, and the last link is welded to the truck. That's why the canvas covers are sewn on. When I get ready to replace mine, I'm going to cut a link and put a quick link in it's place.

jatonka

The tailgate chain protectors will slip over the hook on the tailgate chain. hook a string or wire to the chain hook and pull them right on. JT out

Stan Leschert

Thanks guys. When I was in the service, my Cpls and Sgts configured the VEHs. I told them when, where and how I wanted it done. They always helped to flesh our part of the OPs order, so that we accomplished the aim.

Motorpool was not something that I worried about. I should have paid more attention in my VEH courses, I guess. I only had to be qualified to operate any VEH in our inventory in case of OH S***. My job was to be on the ground leading my troops. And insulating them from Officers of higher rank!

Blood_of_Tyrants

In the vintage and antique truck restoration world, we just call them tailgate chain covers.

Bicycle inner tubes make great ones, not authentic, but they work well. The problem with the Deuce is they have a welded link on the hook end, and the last link is welded to the truck. That's why the canvas covers are sewn on. When I get ready to replace mine, I'm going to cut a link and put a quick link in it's place.
Cut it in the middle and you can hide the quick link.

Dodge man

We are about to detail the truck in time for parade season. What is the proper name for the sleave that goes around the gate hook chain? It is a Royal pain to have go get out the touch up gun, to cover the chaffing. I only want to touch up 2x per year. Once in the spring, to fix the winter deterioration, and once in the fall, to preserve the metal for winter. Thanks. When I know the right name for it, I can get the proper one. Otherwise, I'll just have to bug my sailmaker.
In other postings (in the Paint and Body Section, I think) they called them sleeves and suggested getting ones that are used to cover hydraulic hoses. They said their hydraulic house just gave them to them. You could also get the expandable sleeving that they used to cover auto wires. Push it together to expand it, then slip it over your chain and hook and then stretch it out to shrink it and then secure the ends in place with black tie wraps.

Green_gator

I picked up a couple of sets from New Life Canvas for my M35 and trailers for $10 a pair and they even have longer ones if you want to cover all of the chain. They slid right on over the hook but are snug enough to not slip off.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
X2 for bicycle inner tube. I cut mine twice as long as the chain, so the tube bunches up all along the chain. It looks better and stiffens the chain so it does not swing as much.

The inner tube rubber is only good for about 1 year in the sun down here. But there's a bicycle store down the road from me, and the price of their old used tubes is free!

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks