• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this on my grille?

Bill W

According to TM9 8031-2 "100amp system installation" ( 1968 ) There was a Title change to delete all references to Command truck M-42 ., "ALSO" in Description para 355: the 100amp system is used when electrical requirements of "Special equipt" such a radio equipt exceeds the capabilities of the 25amp systems" so as already mentioned the 100amp system is not just for the command car. The TM also gives complete instuctions and diagrams to do the "Field" install of this system.
This TM with "Change 3" superceeds the earlier version/copy that was printed in 1963 so 100amps systems had been out for quite awhile since all that "Change order" supplements do is recind,correct or supercede procedures of previous manuals

Last edited:

M42Dodge

Right. Published orders, in my experience, continue to repeat themselves with newer revisions, so until the first version of the order removing or adding an item is nailed down, there would be room for inturpetaion. The revision commonly available also gives a 1958 date for removal of M42 equipment and deletion. I thought it may have been a typo. More to throw on the fire.

TJ

Bill W

"The revision commonly available also gives a 1958 date for removal of M42 equipment and deletion. I thought it may have been a typo. More to throw on the fire"

TJ
I have TM9-8030 with C-9 dated 1965 and it gives a title change/deletion of the M-42 that was printed in the 1955 edition of the same manual so 1958 can be correct, we atleast know it was somwewhere between 1955 and 1965. I also have a ( December) 1956 TB that still lists the M-42

Bill W

Huh
According to M-37 Series Production Story (TM9-1840C)
M-42's were factory delivered with about 8079 delivered by the end of production of the M-37s (1954), there is nothing listed for later B1 series ( 1958-68 ). Book also states that after vehicle was no longer needed as a command vehicle the modification kit was removed and the truck redesignated back to M-37. I also have read that the M-42 had a Red data ( nomenclature) plate that was inplace of the M-37 Nomenclature plate ( also removed after use)

M42Dodge

I never heard of the red data plate scenerio. The plot thickens...

The parts book I have, ORD9 SNL G741 lists all the pieces of the M42 kit and it only mentions the one M42 kit plate. The m42 cargo cover set up was the same dimensions as the M37. I have seen red data plates around, but I never took note of them. Interesting.

TJ

pwrwagonfire

Just found this on the net

"Many M37 Cargo Trucks were fitted with radio transmitters or other equipment that exceeded the capacity of the original 25 amp electrical generator. A 100 amp alternator kit was supplied as an upgrade, described in later versions of the manuals. The kit consisted of the 100 amp alternator, a regulator, a rectifier to convert the AC current to DC, along with heavier cables, four parallel drive belts and other parts."

68t

I got some of this equipment, the rectfier, and gen. and cables. if any need them, They were also on the m38a1 jeep for a large radio system, When keying the mike it would slow down the jeep. That radio took a low of power to operate it., also our m37 has hole cut in the shroud, I might put my parts on the m37 just for looks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks