• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this - Seat from WWII Bomber?

m715mike

Can anyone provide any information on the seat pictured below? What did it come out of?

This seat has been in my friend's father's garage for 10 years. According to the father, it is a WWII bomber seat. He couldn't bear throw it away, but wanted it out of his garage. So naturally, the seat found its way to my garage.

I'd like to provide my friend and his father with more information about the seat and, ultimately find a good home for it (preferably someone that needs it for their plane).

The seat is extremely light weight and I assume is made out of aluminum. There is a rectangular spot on the back of the seat with no paint. I assume this was the location of a data tag at one time.

seat5.jpeg
seat3.jpeg
seat4.jpegseat1.jpegseat2.jpeg

Katavic918

In my limited research I found similar style seats from ww2 bombers. The ones Found for sale go for quite a bit and most didnt have cushions. Looks like a good find. Would look good in my family room. Hope you are able to make a positive id.

m715mike

No part number? Nothing writen or stamped anyplace?
No, which I find strange. I didn’t see one yesterday and I just went out for a second look. There are no stamps or writing on the seat.

There is a rectangular section on the back of the seat where a data tag may have been. However, there are no holes (for rivets or screws) and no indication of welding on the rectangular section. Here’s a close up picture:

A9FAF5FC-6BEB-438B-8554-2B3198029C38.jpeg

m715mike

Have you considered a short study of interior photos of various bombers to help find comparable seats installed in those aircraft?

Give it a shot.
I did a few google searches before starting this post as did my friend who gave me the seat. Neither one of us found an exact match. That’s when I turned to the collective wisdom of the SS group.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen that seat before. Do you have pictures of the bottom and mounting pattern? It's keeping me awake. The seat cushion looks wrong and the pan is deep enough I could be sitting on my parachute, or in my Rat Rod. I have a cool seat I'll share later but I searched the term "__everyplane__ cockpit" for hours looking for mine and your seat wasn't in the show.

Prior to that I went though all the model photos of "bomber interior", "gunbay" "gunners bay" 'bombardier" and got lost inside hundreds of aircraft

I sent pics of your seat to a few gurus and got some feedback.....and a few more guys will lay awake tonight. It's not logical because seats are upright in an aircraft to save space and for visibility. We were thinking post war, pre-ejection fighter or the B-45 Tornado gunner position but it's a stinky skunk so far.

m715mike

plowboy - You got me thinking. I made an assumption about the seat’s orientation when I took pictures of it. What if I was wrong. What if the seat went in the cockpit like this >>>

083359AA-4C6C-4380-BAD0-A99CF8FA934C.jpeg
50D32D97-7351-4888-99C6-82A947393DC5.jpeg
C8CDFA88-7665-47C3-A32F-A5037CB687A0.jpeg

This is the upright position you expected. Also, there would be room for a parachute.

It doesn’t surprise me that you think the cushions are wrong. When I got the seat, my first thought was that the cushions were in good shape. Actually, the condition seemed too good to be original.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
plowboy - You got me thinking. I made an assumption about the seat’s orientation when I took pictures of it. What if I was wrong. What if the seat went in the cockpit like this >>>

View attachment 803275
View attachment 803276
View attachment 803277

This is the upright position you expected. Also, there would be room for a parachute.

It doesn’t surprise me that you think the cushions are wrong. When I got the seat, my first thought was that the cushions were in good shape. Actually, the condition seemed too good to be original.
I favor this as the probable orientation as well. :goodjob:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting search. I found a similar "Bomber Seat" made by the General Fireproofing Co. Well,...... I didn't find it but this guy did and put up some cool pictures..... it may not be a bomber seat but it's called a bomber seat. The floor pan is different and obviously the mount but it looks like a sister.

jjseat.JPGjalopyjournal.JPGjalopyj.JPG

I hunted that down through a "bomber seat" search and found another likely information source here.

Your mounting points are odd with no reinforcing or....no mounting points.....so we continue.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If memory serves me, it looks very much like the flight engineer seat from a B-29. Orientation was right the first time.
The lower seat cushion could be used, or removed and it's place taken by a parachute pack.

Edit - I found the attached picture in a cockpit 360 view from the USAF museum's B-29

Cheers

B-29 Flight Engineer position.JPG

Last edited:

m715mike

I’ve been emailing with the Senior Crew Chief at the B29/B24 Squadron of the Commemorative Air Force in Fort Worth, Texas. His comment was:

“Yep that’s definitely an authentic B 29 flight engineers seat! What’s even better is that you have the original cushions in it which actually had horse hair for stuffing in some of them.”

I’m making plans to donate the seat to the B29/B24 Squadron.

m715mike

Success! @fuzzytoaster and I met-up this morning and took the seat to the B-29/B-24 Squadron.

170A94E3-AFCE-4BE2-AB14-EF8AEBC6B1B1.jpeg

The Senior Crew Chief is also the Flight Engineer on FiFi (the B-29). He is a very knowledgeable guy and has been with the squadron since 2008. Today was the first time he saw an original Flight Engineer’s seat. FiFi was upgraded with a more comfortable seat:

AC86A403-1B01-4C4C-BE58-407B7770851D.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks