• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Is This ?

rustystud

137.jpg138.jpg139.jpgI'm parting out 2 1953 REO Studebakers, and both had this assembly in the air line just after the compressor. The manufacturer is "Westinghouse" but the language is in German. Does anyone know what it does? I think the first section is an oil cleaner.

Last edited:

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
At first glance, that looked to me like a primitive air dryer. I've driven some older trucks that had something like that on them. Then I did some research on the german written on the first cannister, and had my suspicions confirmed. Sort of.

Unless I'm misreading what my research is turning up, that appears to be an air/oil separator. According to patent information, it's an early model "Dual cartridge air dryer and oil separator". Quite an old design.

The german at the top of the first cannister says "Drain Oil Daily".

Anybody else got anything on this?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The text on the left part is (more or less):

Westinghouse
serial number
Made in Germany

Daily drain oil
through working the button/knob

Tire filler
unscrew flyhandle bolt
and connect hose.

So probably the construction sticking out below the table is the oil drain knob, and the big knob sticking up is the connection for connecting a tire filler air hose. The knob has the Westinghouse symbol.

The flow direction is from left to right.

Last edited:

rustystud

That's it !!! I looked up the wedsite you posted,and there it was !!! It's made by Wabco now and called a "anti-freeze pump" and used on the "Unimog 404" . The military never used these did they ? I'm sure it must have been added later to both riggs by whoever bought them.
Thanks for all the help guys !!!

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the rigs see service in Europe (Germany)? It could be a unit modification - maybe their mechanics saw the setup on German trucks and how well it worked in the winter and decided to give it a go?

rustystud

Did the rigs see service in Europe (Germany)? It could be a unit modification - maybe their mechanics saw the setup on German trucks and how well it worked in the winter and decided to give it a go?
Well according to the data plates they where setup as decontamination units for Nuclear cleanup. I guess they could have been overseas. I don't know.
The one truck did have a unique PTO. It is a rear powered unit, but not the WN-7-28 . It is aluminum housing with just on and off.018.jpg019.jpg025.jpg022.jpg023.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks