• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this?

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Manufacturer called, said they are looking for a way to get it to me. Sounds like good folks!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mounted on the firewall. Maufacturer says it’s proprietary and can’t sell it to me?View attachment 844072
Really!? What kind of hogwash is that!

Of course, it may be another problem...
Your truck has 100% ED. Says it right there on the part.

Maybe you could have great fun with the vendor...
Since they have insulted your trucks manhood - ask if they give out little blue? pills?
Maybe to solve the problem instead of proper parts... :)

EDIT: Okay, too good to pass up - but I am happy for you!
Glad to hear that they are working on solving the problem!

Last edited:

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I’ve got it sorted out. Dealing with two different manufacturers and both have turned out to be exceptional after being rebuffed initially. Getting the whole OEM assembly and connectors.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think I’ve got it sorted out. Dealing with two different manufacturers and both have turned out to be exceptional after being rebuffed initially. Getting the whole OEM assembly and connectors.
That's Great!

We should be able to click and clack and engage the solenoids on the axles soon!

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The manufacturer is Metal Work. It is a small manifold located on the passenger side firewall. One solenoid controls the air to the fan clutch. Haven't traced the other line out yet to see where it goes. It's a 3/8 line and the fitting that screws into the manifold has been cross threaded and is leaking badly. Metal Work has been great to deal with. Should have the complete OEM assembly soon. Next item on the repair list is a massive oil leak coming from the back side of the engine. Taking it to a truck mechanic next week. He works for a logging company here and their log trucks run Cat C15's with Allisons, so he's very familiar with the setup. And, his shop is across the street from my house. Another big deal is the skid plate (?) assembly on the center axle is missing. The seller of this vehicle was very dishonest about it's condition, but more on that later.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The manufacturer is Metal Work. It is a small manifold located on the passenger side firewall. One solenoid controls the air to the fan clutch. Haven't traced the other line out yet to see where it goes. It's a 3/8 line and the fitting that screws into the manifold has been cross threaded and is leaking badly. Metal Work has been great to deal with. Should have the complete OEM assembly soon. Next item on the repair list is a massive oil leak coming from the back side of the engine. Taking it to a truck mechanic next week. He works for a logging company here and their log trucks run Cat C15's with Allisons, so he's very familiar with the setup. And, his shop is across the street from my house. Another big deal is the skid plate (?) assembly on the center axle is missing. The seller of this vehicle was very dishonest about it's condition, but more on that later.
Happy to hear that you found the folks at Metal Work.
Sounds like a whole new issue to fix and you have the solution coming in a brown box :)

Seems pretty fantastic to have a neighbor with C15 and Allison experience too!

---

Never really have understood why people have to lie about what they are selling.
Every time I have sold a vehicle or a boat or similar, I have tried to tell the potential buyer what I knew.
I may have gotten less than I might have on stuff sold - but telling the truth just isn't that difficult.

Still, that is an AMAZING truck! Hope that the things you need to make it right doesn't pound your wallet too badly. OR if they can be found...

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy to hear that you found the folks at Metal Work.
Sounds like a whole new issue to fix and you have the solution coming in a brown box :)

Seems pretty fantastic to have a neighbor with C15 and Allison experience too!

---

Never really have understood why people have to lie about what they are selling.
Every time I have sold a vehicle or a boat or similar, I have tried to tell the potential buyer what I knew.
I may have gotten less than I might have on stuff sold - but telling the truth just isn't that difficult.

Still, that is an AMAZING truck! Hope that the things you need to make it right doesn't pound your wallet too badly. OR if they can be found...
I am hoping the oil leak isn't the rear main, but I don't know what else it could be. There were two empty gallon containers of engine oil stop leak in the back of the truck, so it's obvious the seller knew. I have a bad habit of trusting people until they give me a reason not to trust them, but there is no honor among thieves. I've learned a very valuable lesson from this deal. When I sold my 5 ton, I told the buyer every single thing that I was aware of that was wrong with it, which wasn't much, but I made him aware of the issues before he purchased it. I believe sowing and reaping is an immutable law that governs the universe. Some call it karma. It's not. It's a righteous and holy God administering His justice among men.

"For we know him who said, 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' and again, 'The Lord will judge his people.' It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am hoping the oil leak isn't the rear main, but I don't know what else it could be. There were two empty gallon containers of engine oil stop leak in the back of the truck, so it's obvious the seller knew. I have a bad habit of trusting people until they give me a reason not to trust them, but there is no honor among thieves. I've learned a very valuable lesson from this deal. When I sold my 5 ton, I told the buyer every single thing that I was aware of that was wrong with it, which wasn't much, but I made him aware of the issues before he purchased it. I believe sowing and reaping is an immutable law that governs the universe. Some call it karma. It's not. It's a righteous and holy God administering His justice among men.

"For we know him who said, 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' and again, 'The Lord will judge his people.' It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."
Gallons of oil stop leak... WOW. I can't imagine - and why the lies.
Nobody bought that much stop leak and forgot about it.

Somehow I imagine a special place in hell for people like that.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I replaced the old assembly with a brand new one. It does exactly the same thing the old one did. The one on the right leaks air from the cap on top of the solenoid. Upon inspection, I noticed it has an array of very small holes drilled in it. This is where the air is coming from. The one on the left controls the cooling fan. Not sure what the one on the right does. Notice how the tubing just loops around on it, tying back into the valve body. Does anyone know what the second solenoid does, and is everything plumbed correctly? I have new connectors too, just haven't hooked them up yet. As you can see, the wires on the right hand solenoid were cut at some point before I bought the truck. Considering the yahoo I bought it from, he probably did it.

fan control.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, I replaced the old assembly with a brand new one. It does exactly the same thing the old one did. The one on the right leaks air from the cap on top of the solenoid. Upon inspection, I noticed it has an array of very small holes drilled in it. This is where the air is coming from. The one on the left controls the cooling fan. Not sure what the one on the right does. Notice how the tubing just loops around on it, tying back into the valve body. Does anyone know what the second solenoid does, and is everything plumbed correctly? I have new connectors too, just haven't hooked them up yet. As you can see, the wires on the right hand solenoid were cut at some point before I bought the truck. Considering the yahoo I bought it from, he probably did it.

View attachment 844842
It's a normal closed solenoid so air is bypassing without power to it.

I looks like it has NC on the side of it.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's normally closed, when you apply power, wouldn't it open? Maybe some of the MTVR gurus will respond and tell me what the thing does, if anything, other than send air to the fan clutch.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Normally closed - Is a contact that flows current in its normal state. Energizing it and switching it on will open the contact, causing it to not allow current flow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks