• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this?

citizensoldier

Is this the famous shift kit from Memphis Equipment? The motor I pulled out did not have it.
I am just getting the old gal so she will move on here own power. Soon she will be completely rebuilt. "Just rip it right out of there!" :-D

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GMC "deuces" from the 1950's had a 4 speed automatic transmission "hydramatic". The transmission is just like today's automatics, it is modulated by the throttle, so shifts happen at higher RPM's when you "get on it". Sometimes, for certain applications such as rock crawling for instance, you want the transmission to stay in a certain gear. There is no way to control this on the hydramatic, so Memphis Equipment invented the REB powershift, it works just like in a dozer, you put it in 1, it stays in 1, until you shift it to 2, etc. There is no provision to go back to full automatic once you have installed the kit.

butch atkins

hey yall,good to see another GMC being fixed,not that many still around,at least not as many as the M35 that are popping up on GL,maybe one day my M211 will be worth 10% of what i have spent on it,LOL,PM sent

citizensoldier

The new heart go's in... GMCs are a very different breed then I am used to but its growing on me. I could do without the extra drive shaft and bolts :evil:.. She has some rust issues also, but its all flat steel and easy to fix on a cold winter day. Soon she will move on her own power. I bet she has sat for 25 years or more. The "Green Pig" will run again come hell or high water.:roll:

Attachments

butch atkins

Hydramatic trans oil

opinions are like a##holes on this,everybody has one and they all stink except your own,the TM 9-8024 says engine oil 30wt NON DETERGENT,but im sure this will cause a flame war from all the various "experts"on this subject,many who have been "told" by a "trans expert",to use this that or the other,look back thru this thread at all of the different answers to this question.In the words of Bob Kettler,David Doyle, reguarding the oil to use in these trannys,"Service it by the book,drive it by the book and you wont have any problems from this tranny".For the record i have tried it all and prefer 30wt NON DETERGENT ENGINE OIL,tranny shifts more consistently,doesnt leak as bad,or have that funky ATF fluid smell,and i have had 35k miles of trouble free service,1st time i put ATF in it,wasnt too long till my M211 was in a tranny shop to rebuild the reduction unit,the man that did the work was a 30 yr vet of the US Army wheels/tracks tech schools.Its your toy make your own decision,just make sure you consider that the availability of parts for these trannys is not that good.Good luck on all of your projects, Butch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks