• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this?

oldMan99

2 items.

#1: At a drag race about 2 months ago the USMC sent over a couple trucks for display. 1 was a big recovery/wrecker of some sort. The other:

Looked like a giant Duce with 52" wheels (1 per axle per side) and 6 wheel drive through independent suspension. Had CTIS.

What is the name of this type of truck? I would like to be able to try to look it up and get more information on it. It looked almost brand new.

I assume these are not yet available on the surplus market and if they were would be pricey to say the least. Is that correct?

#2: What is the vehicle in the picture?

Are they available?

I assume they get about 5MPG?

Is it a straight frame, articulated (Don't think so) or is it separate pieces like a tractor/trailer (Also don't think so)

How long is the bed part?

I don't suppose it is amphibious is it?

I assume it is a maintenance nightmare?

Thats it, THANKS!

Attachments

oldMan99

Checkout www.olive-drab.com

They have pictures and specs on many different military vehicles.

US NAVY AND USMC MTVR 7 TON 6X6

The HEMTT is out there but very limited, most are required to be crushed and MTRV will probably never be available
I used the link in one of the above posts and it took me right to the Oshkosh site. They have both of these vehicles listed, (Along with a bunch of other cool looking vehicles). They even have some videos of the trucks doing their stuff.

That TAK-4 suspension system (Used on the MTVR) has its own set of videos. It looks like they sell it (Probably not to the public, just to the govt) as a unit that can "Just bolt on" in place of the old solid axle and suspension. Way cool but I bet you could but a 5 ton truck full of 2.5 ton axles and springs for the cost of just one TAK-4.

I'll never understand crushing perfectly good equipment when they could sell it and make some money back on it. Restricted and dangerous stuff like bombs and so forth sure, you expect that. But a truck? Empty ammo boxes? Makes no sense to me at all....

Even if the MTVR was available I bet it is several hundred thousand dollars new to the govt and at surplus I bet would still go for $50k which is well outside my budget for this kind of thing.

Of course you have to have surplus before they get sold. They are probably begging for more of these things as fast as they can get them, so your probably right, they may never be available to us and if they are, it will probably be many many years. Maybe our grand kids can get one.... Sigh..

OK guys, thanks much!

Last edited:

KsM715

I have to plead guilty to steeling that pic from somebody's avatar. Saw it, liked it, "Borrowed it"....

Thanks for the ID's! (I thought that one was a HEMMIT, was not sure.)

So, are either of these things available? Are my assumptions correct?

BKUBU, I believe is his name. Yes there are a few in civi hands and yes very expensive.

oldMan99

BKUBU, I believe is his name. Yes there are a few in civi hands and yes very expensive.
Just noticed I butchered the spelling... HEMTT. To bad they are not more available and the cost. Using one of the with a 40' shipping container converted to RV use would be way cool. Of course I'm sure you would need a second one, the tanker variant if you planned to go more than a hundred miles or so.

That of course doubles fuel consumption and means you have to feed and house at least 1-2 extra people. Might as well get another and use it for a kitchen unit and give it extra large water tanks so you don't run out. (3 HMETT's so far).

Now we have 2 fuel drivers, cooks (probably 2 to allow for 24/7 service) at least 2-3 galley hands. Going to need motor pool people to pull maintenance, better make it 3 of those guys. And of course we need security to make sure we don;t get messed with and or robbed at night while everybody is sleeping. Better have 4 security guys.

So now we have 12 people in addition to the main camping party and no place for them to sleep, shower and so forth. Better bring another HEMTT with a 40' container built as living quarters for the support staff.

12 people, 4 HEMTT's.

Looks like we are going to need more fuel on hand so add HEMTT #5 and 2 more guys.

3 maintenance guys for 4 HEMTT's does not sound like enough, add 2 more, total 5.

14 people, 5 HEMTT's (Not counting the people in the primary camping party.

Seems that we should probably have a few smaller vehicles to use for errands, scouting and so forth so better add 2 Humvees and the security guys can drive them.

14 people, 5 HEMTT's, 2 Humvees

We need to have some toys along for the trip a well to entertain everybody. Better add 2 2x4 sand rails, 3 4x4 off road trucks, 6 4x4 4 wheelers, 6 jet skis, 2 18' ski boats and of course 12 Harleys of various models.

OK, toys taken care of but we need to haul them around. Probably 2 more HEMTT's specially rigged to haul the toys, so we need 4 more drivers for the 2 additional HEMTT's and to load/unload all the toys.

18 people

It seems we have noting for fishing. Add 2 20' bass boats, 1 24' offshore fishing boat, 1 20' offshore fishing boat. Another HEMTT, 2 more driver/load handlers.

20 people
8 HEMTT
2 Humvee
2 sand rail, 2x4
4 offroad truck/buggy 4x4
6 4 wheeler 4x4 sport/utility
6 jet ski
2 ski boats, 18'
12 Harley's assorted
2 bass boats
1 offshore fishing boat 24'
1 offshore fishing boat 20'

Better add some more cooks and galley hands, 3 more. This brings us to 23 people and only 1 housing unit. Not good. Add 2 more specially configured HEMTT's with expandable walls to be used for additional housing. Add the expandable wall unit to the first housing unit. 4 more drivers for the 2 additional HEMTT's. Better add 2 more Humvee's too. No need for additional drivers, we can find somebody.

Modify my primary camping HEMTT to have expanding walls. I mean really...

27 people
10 HEMTT (4 with expandable wall living quarters)
4 Humvee
2 sand rail, 2x4
6 jet ski
2 ski boats, 18'
12 Harley's assorted
2 bass boats

Looks like we need more Motor Pool guys. 3 more should do it. And with a convoy of this size we will need a liaison department to interface with local LEO, campground, National Forrest officials and so forth, probably will need 3 of them and another Humvee.

33 people
10 HEMTT (4 with expandable wall living quarters)
5 Humvee
2 sand rail, 2x4
6 jet ski
2 ski boats, 18'
12 Harley's assorted
2 bass boats

****. My simple "Get a HEMTT and make it a camper" project has gotten slightly out of hand, and we have not even added in a bursar department to make sure everybody gets paid, and supply department to make sure we have the food and fuel and I'm sure I am forgetting something. Better take the above list of people, and equipment and add 25% to it. That gives us a total of:

42 people
13 HEMTT (5 with expandable wall living quarters)
7 Humvee
3 sand rail, 2x4
5 offroad truck/buggy 4x4
8 4 wheeler 4x4 sport/utility
8 jet ski
3 ski boats, 18'
15 Harley's assorted
3 bass boats
2 offshore fishing boat 24'
1 18' RIB

42 people will need more than just 4 living quarter units so up that by 2 more so the guys can have a bit of space. No point making them live like in a submarine. And another fuel truck. That means 3 more HEMTT's and 6 more drivers.

Medical department? 8 people, a HEMTT expandable wall unit hospital, An Ambulance....

Maybe an aviation element for scouting, Medevac, personnel movement. Maybe 2 or 3 choppers and a couple jets. More fuel, pilots, mechanics, needs housing and ground support vehicles....

Think we have enough cooks now? Geez.... Maybe I'll just stick with my $49 Walmart tent...

=============
It is 1am. I have been awake 36 hours straight now. 20 hours ago my storage unit burned to the ground taking all my child hood pictures, a bunch of furniture, a complete kitchen set of good pots/pans and dishes, 25+ years worth of 2 different expensive collections (Ceramic eagles and collector scale train sets - brand new in the box, most with the plastic wrapper still intact... ) auaaua

I guess the bright side is that nobody was hurt and it was my storage unit, not my house.

I can't get to sleep and right about now I am bored so unfortunately, you guys "have" to endure insanity like this post.... My apologies it won't happen again...... I'm going back to reading and learning from you guys now. I really am impressed with the huge amount of great info on this site.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled life.....:???:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks