• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is up with M1009 prices?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
So last month I picked up a M1009 that is a good runner for $1050. Today there were five at Aberdeen, Md. that went from $2550-3427. Given that they all do look good in the pics, but we all know how unreliable that is. Aberdeen would not allow inspections months back when I checked.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=980333
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=980332
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=980331
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=980330
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=980328

dilvoy

Auctions are like that. If there is someone to bid against, the price will go higher. With people bidding on the internet, without inspecting. You can bet that the pretty ones will go higher at any given point in time, as compared to an ugly one. I bet many are suprised at what they bought, when they actually go to pick it up. I wonder if that's why so many come up for auction again. I just picked up a M1008 which looked really nice, but has a frozen engine. It was cheap and I have an excellent running spare engine, so I'm still OK, but that's the risk of buying Govt. suplus vehicles.

gasser

Damn - those all had their glass ... both M1009's that I have needed glass all around. Granted, I paid 1/2 of those prices - and willing to take the ugly ones.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
The high one was over 3K many days back. Someone knew what they wanted. Wonder if there some people being allowed to inspect? I also wonder if the inspections are open to all? They were not open at all before.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah it seems like a real crap shoot these days. The auctions I like are when there are 10 lots of the same item for sale and they all have the same picture attached to them :D

gt1009

Well, the biggest thing is that if you are buying from an online auction, you should get lots of pictures of every part of the truck. Also, there is no substitute for a nice test drive. You should really look for one on ebay that is close by. I found mine with a for sale sign on it in someone's yard. I paid $2500, and I have seen ones up for auction at the same condition as mine for twice the price.

Greg
'84 M1009

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had started this thread because of the cyclic trend I was seeing in GL auctions. GL auctions are not comparable to Ebay or private sales. If nothing else the scale of the audience for each means they have nothing to do with each other. Almost everyone that has a computer has stopped by Ebay at one time or another. Private sale are limited to who drives by your sale sign or reads the classifieds. GL dispite its recent apparent increase in popularity is very limited by problems with inspection, titling, bad pictures/descriptions, pickup problems, and just the general nitch interest. Prices have a lot to do with the size of the audience.

BKinzey

Of course Aberdeen wasn't allowing inspections :roll:

They have to send a Recon Patrol out to find them! They are training for desert deployment. Not that scary jungle stuff :shock: :shock:

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt anyone inspected those trucks. From the pics, the one that went the highest looked very clean, but that's still getting a little carried away.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I bought one of those that was at the auction and I bid on but did not win the one that had only 20K miles. The one we won had 58K on it and started right up. The only thing it needed to pass inspection was new tires, new vacume lines, and my stainless steel sheetmetal and pop rivets for areas that had suscummed to rust. It is my Son's daily driver and only a week after being on the road a chick on the cell phone rear ended him in the rain. It really wrecked her mini and took out the bumper and receiver hitch on the M1009.
The biggest gripe I have is the pictures they take are sometimes worse than 1st grade coloring pictures and they should fix this for what they are charging.

We straigtend out the bumper and have ordered a new reciever hitch for the M1009 but it is back on the road

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one I liked was a M1008 that was up recently. Of the 5 pictures, 4 of them were clear and the truck looked pretty straight. The other picture was of the passenger side from the rear. It was the only blurry picture, and if you looked closely, the bed was caved in just behind the cab on that side... Now, tell me that the picture was out of focus by accident... :roll:

Never trust the pics. Sometimes they make things look worse, sometimes better. If you can't inspect, bid accordingly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks