• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is your favorite M1009 upgade/mods?

5moker

I recently purchased an M1009 at auction. Just seeing what you guys enjoyed doing to yours, and what has been most beneficial. Anybody tried the banks turbo? Mine is a clean slate. It was painted white at some point. Very minimal rust. It will go back to camo. Motor has a blown head gasket I think... Getting fuel, turns over well. Glowplugs getting power. Does nothing but turn even with a little starting fluid. 70 degree days here so seems it should catch at some point. Ordered my compression test gauge last night... :deadhorse:

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased an M1009 at auction. Just seeing what you guys enjoyed doing to yours, and what has been most beneficial. Anybody tried the banks turbo? Mine is a clean slate. It was painted white at some point. Very minimal rust. It will go back to camo. Motor has a blown head gasket I think... Getting fuel, turns over well. Glowplugs getting power. Does nothing but turn even with a little starting fluid. 70 degree days here so seems it should catch at some point. Ordered my compression test gauge last night... :deadhorse:
If your glow plugs are working and you used either , your probably right about now needing a head gasket . NEVER use either with glow plugs.
Have you download the TM's and at least read the -10 series , doing so may save you abunch of money .
Tm's can be downloaded here ; [h=2]CUCV TMs[/h]

5moker

Resorted to ether after several failed attemps to start. Glow plugs are on a push button, and were not used during the ether test. Yes, I have been reading the tm, even before picking up the blazer. TY for looking out though.

5moker

It was low on water when I picked it up, None in the oil though. Upon filling, I didn't find any oil in the water. It was used at university of GA to check peanut fields, and driven by college students. I am scared that they dumped cold water in a hot motor! IF the compression comes back bad I suppose I will just replace the motor instead of the all the machine shop tests, rebuilld kit, time, ect., ect.