• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What kind of electronics does the 6.2/CUCV rely on?

kadetklapp

Ok, this post may come off as a little kookie, but stick with me here.

I'm needing to know what kind of electronic systems the CUCV has, such as the glow plug control card, etc. The reason I'm asking is that the main reason for me shopping for a CUCV or deuce is that I want a diesel, 4x4, multi-fuel, heavy duty vehicle in my "stable" in case things.......well, in case things go to **** and reliable transportation becomes non-existant.

I know one of the dangers that are often discussed by "preppers" is the threat of a HEMP or "high elevation magnetic pulse" which is generated by nuclear devices. It's a threat I believe we face from terrorism or north korea or whatever.

Anyway, what other electronics are there on a 6.2 liter that could be damaged/destroyed if not protected? Is it....possible to maintain enough spares to replace them if such an event were to take place? Even if there is no "HEMP" it is still possible for a mechanical mis-hap to destroy an electrical system on a vehicle. What all should a guy be prepared for? :cookoo:

ida34

There have been other threads on emp issues. It has been a couple of years but a search should give you some more insight.

Keith_J

Modern EFI diesels are well-protected from EMP. Will the 6.2 start without the glow plug card? I know my EFI diesel will easily start without the glow plug relay (which functions like the GP card in the 6.2, measuring GP current and temperature rise time).

The key is the injection pump. In the 6.2, it is pure mechanical indirect injected so it should be just fine. Besides, it is enclosed in a multi-layer Faraday Cage.

Blood_of_Tyrants

As an electrical engineer, I am not convinced that the electronics in a vehicle would be damaged by a high altitude EMP.

First, the amount of voltage and current induced on a wire is dependent on the length of the wire and the vehicle is a fairly small target.

Second, your engine and most of the wiring is protected by the metal body. The wires between the sensors and the computers not shielded by the body will generate such a small voltage that they are unlikely to damage the electronics.

Third, you will have much bigger problems than transportation if we suffer a nuclear attack, which an EMP would be the start of.

So, what could you do to protect your vehicle? The easiest thing to do is to drive a ground rod near where you park your vehicles and make sure that it is a good ground. Then simply attach a grounding wire between the ground wire and the vehicle. And current induced in the vehicle will be quickly shorted to ground.

Now, if you want to talk about the proper vehicle to run down zombies in the post apocalyptic world would be.......

niferous

Here is a recent thread started about a CUCV compared to an Excursion for a bug out vehicle. Eventually the topic turned to EMP. I think I may have started to steered it there :lol:. Anyway lots of good info there.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/4...-f350-other-pick-up-bug-out-snow-vehicle.html

Also other good information can be found on survivalist forums. Just do a Google search for those and more than a few should pop up. Strap on your tin foil hat when reading the Survivalist forum stuff. Some of those can get down right strange. I say this of course being someone who has read Lights Out three times and One Second After. I also focus a lot of my spending and efforts on "prepping".

TyJustice

Yep, you found me![thumbzup]

TexAndy is 1Andy2, Texrdnec is here along with N_T!

There are others...who are you?rofl

"GD" can provide a man with some cheap entertainment!

Maybe I'll join up someday and enter into the madness. :smile:

If I ever do, my first post will be a dinner pic.8) You'll know it's me.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to your original question, the CUCV has electronics in the glow plug controller and the internal voltage regulator inside the alternators. The glow plug controller can be converted to manual with great ease, many threads on this, basically apply voltage to the firewall solenoid. If your alternator for the 12 volt battery is not charging, you can probably power the injection pump solenoid for 6 hours as long as no lights or blowers are on as well.

kadetklapp

Thanks for the info fellas. I'll be honest, I didn't bother to do a search because I honestly didn't think anyone here thought along the same prep lines I do. Good to know. Anyway, I posted in another thread and was told that while not as fuel-versatile as a deuce, that the 6.2 had some multi-fuel capabilities? Is this incorrect?

I plan on running biodiesel anyway, or SVO.

Where is a good write-up on simply eliminating the glow plug card? Sounds like that would be the thing to do upon purchase, no?

Westech

CPL
you can run veggie oil if it is heated or warm out side. The cucv injectors do not like lots of WMO or ATF any of that junk. You are able to mix to a piont but I would not go over 25% and make sure to filter the snot out of it, or it will destroy the injectors and the injection pump in a flash. Witn the 6.2 if you are not in a war zone or have zombies after you stick with the over the road diesel.