• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What kind of life can you get out of a 923 with a NHC250?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The NHC250 has some power.

Here is an m819 towing an m62 towing an m105 with a cummins 250 in the can and about every tool you could imagine. We figured it was close to 72klbs. It held 50mph from point A to B while on the highway.wrecked wrecker with trailer.jpg

Csm Davis

It's all about what you are looking to do with the truck, if you are going to work the heck out of it heavy load go 250 with a manual transmission. If you want to use it like a pickup truck everyday driver and occasionally haul a load go with the 8.3 and automatic transmission. All military trucks have drawbacks and big pluses you will have to decide what fits your needs.

sent from my decrepit fingers

74M35A2

Engineer? Not hardly. I'm a comedian....a broke comedian. "The Engineer" is a nickname stemming from an old inside joke. It'd be boring if I told it, but it amuses me.

You were actually correct though. I bought my truck with a hand shake over the phone after looking at a couple of pictures. It happened to be what it is, and for what I thought was a good price with my limited knowledge of MVs at the time. It turned out to be a good price and a good truck. I've never driven an A2 or rode in one but I have stood beside one that was running. I will agree that it does sound a little like a school bus....but those busses will leave me in the dust when the light turns green. I've also seen other A2s at the rally and they seem to hold their own just fine. The point I'm making is...don't mind me. I see this as being like the Chevy vs Ford debates. Everybody knows what it'll turn into, so you might as well have a little fun while you can.

To return to the original question: What kind of life can you get out of a 923 with a NHC250?

I would say that the main determining factor would be the actual condition that it was in when you got it. That would be the best gauge but it's really hard to say without doing a thorough inspection.
I like the broke comedian part. I've been wanting to heckle a few more of you, but could not feel if you could handle it. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more humor here. But, anybody that throws around the short bus made the list. I found a pic of the NHC-250 engine. Slower than snake sh!t, and will live like 200 years:

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my first 923 that I sold to a logger. He pulled the bed, put on a fifth wheel and put it to WORK ! The only limiting factor he has found hauling these red OAK logs (HEAVVVVVYYYY !!!!!) 3 miles out the uphill haul road were the torque (Dogbone) rods. Now that they are all new, he has run over a hundred loads out, with a stock 250. I also own an A2 and love it, but if I found the right truck with a 250 I would own another in a heartbeat.

ws1photo.jpg ws2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's all about what you are looking to do with the truck, if you are going to work the heck out of it heavy load go 250 with a manual transmission. If you want to use it like a pickup truck everyday driver and occasionally haul a load go with the 8.3 and automatic transmission. All military trucks have drawbacks and big pluses you will have to decide what fits your needs.
I regularly haul heavy loads with my A2 and it does quite well, grossing between 44K-55K pounds. And does a decent job of keeping up with most other trucks on the freeways.

The 8.3 turbodiesel was the only reason I bought my 931A2, while awaiting the right M920 to become available.

It's funny how as soon as you get a semi-tractor, your friends find all kinds of stuff they need moved/hauled with it. :mrgreen:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the broke comedian part. I've been wanting to heckle a few more of you, but could not feel if you could handle it. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more humor here. But, anybody that throws around the short bus made the list. I found a pic of the NHC-250 engine. Slower than snake sh!t, and will live like 200 years:
Pfft...that's just an RV with the toilet on the outside. The tag and registration for it will be cheaper though. THIS is what your were looking for, lol.

image.jpg

I don't mind hecklers. They're usually broke too, and hang out at the same clubs as the comedians. Same circus, different seats. :mrgreen:

Send me a PM with an email address where I can send you a couple pictures. I have a question for the Alternator Grand Poobah if he ain't too busy.

Csm Davis

I regularly haul heavy loads with my A2 and it does quite well, grossing between 44K-55K pounds. And does a decent job of keeping up with most other trucks on the freeways.

The 8.3 turbodiesel was the only reason I bought my 931A2, while awaiting the right M920 to become available.

It's funny how as soon as you get a semi-tractor, your friends find all kinds of stuff they need moved/hauled with it. :mrgreen:
Yeah don't get me wrong I have some of both but take the 816 for example it will drag any of the 936's like a Mastiff dragging a Beagle. I know this from owning more than one example of each 816, 936, 936A1, and 936A2. I too have a great 931A2 and regularly use it to haul up and down the hwy and love it, but this whole "my 250 is better than your 8.3" is like the kids at Sonic comparing their rice burners then one of us old farts drive up in a blown big block hemi and they forget what they were argument was about.

sent from my decrepit fingers

WV New Guy

All my neighbors have NHC250 931 and 923s I'm the only one on the mountain with a turbo M923A2 currently . I wouldn't hook my truck to my neighbors 250 cause it would drag me down the road . I could smoke him off the line and up the mountain but pulling trees and other trucks is no comparison .

I also have a Duramax that's tuned and I have had plenty of guys with fords ask to drag race until they find out it has EFI live . But i know from owing a ford also the Chevy parts will explode if I hook it to a Ford with a Dana 60 . But that stuffs for discussion on other forums not here .

If I can score a 925 or 928 next I hope I can get one with the NHC250 !

74M35A2

You will. People can't give away running NHC's for free. Swamp's video showed an 8.3 taking a 250 for a walk. 250 engine can't pull a string out of a cat's a$$.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks