• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What kind of records do the DRMO/DLA keep?

KallyLC

As the title suggests, I'm hoping to try and find some information out about a vehicle.

My M1008 came from of one of the USAF bases here in England, and would've almost certainly passed through the DRMO/DLA office at Molesworth when it left service, so I'm wondering if they keep any records that would help me figure out which base it came from.

I have the vehicle's original military registration number, 85K1457, and I know that it was first registered with the UK's DVLA for civilian ownership in 1997. So I know the number and roughly when it might've left service.

If they actually keep records of where their surplus comes from, are they the kind of people to share information from these records? I've emailed them, but have yet to recieve a reply. Is there anywhere else that might be worth contacting for this kind of information?

Guyfang

Staff member
The DRMO, (Defence Reutilization Marketing Office), no longer exists. Its now known as Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) Disposition Services. Their job is to reutilize material and equipment, and or, to dispose of it through sales, to try and recoup funds spent on said equipment. That's there only funtion in life. Records keeping on that equipment or material will not happen. IF, and that's a big if, there is any records left inside that equipment, they will normally not remove it. But tracking from where it came, who signed for it and so on, no.

KallyLC

Yep, that's fair enough. It's still a shot in the dark but I'll see if Mildenhall or Lakenheath have anything.

All I was told about my truck is that it came from a base in East Anglia, though that doesn't narrow it down a huge amount, as that's where they all are. I found a video from RAF Upper Heyford showing an M1009 that turned out to be the vehicle a friend used to own, pretty incredible luck but I'm doubtful that I'll be able to find any kind of proof like that of where my own truck was stationed.

Guyfang

Staff member
Some folks here in the forum CAN help with some info. There are self made data bases and some folks have collected data on lots of things that they are willing to share. So, look here in the forum, and in the net. Also, when you get the truck, take care to look at bumper markings, If they are painted over, use extreme care to remove just enough paint to see whats under it. Look for ANY document in the truck. There could be something under the seat, under the mat, in the glove box, in a strange corner. You just never know. Do not be afraid to ask question, or call or write organizations. The worst thing they can do is not answer. I am an A12/SR-71 nut. I wrote a letter to the CIA asking for info on the Oxcart/SR71 programs. Everyone laughed at me. On fine day, a very large envelope came to my house here in Germany. No return address. Inside were a boatload of declassified records, and a declassified briefing on the A12 and SR71 aircraft. All from the CIA. So you never know what you can find.

KallyLC

I already have the truck, and there's unfortunately nothing to ID it besides the Air Force registration number in the driver's door. It's been in civilian ownership since 1997 and has been repainted a number of times, so if any other evidence was left inside it's long since been removed.

The only thing I'm likely to find on the bumpers or the tailgate is the same number I already know, as that's all the Air Force put on them. None of them were painted with anything to identify exactly which base or unit they belonged to, sadly.

I've found good information on this forum regarding the meaning of the Air Force ID number, 85 is the year, K is for 'tactical vehicle', and 1457 is the unique number to identify that vehicle, and supposedly means that it was the 1457th vehicle accepted into service of that year. If there are records of which vehicles were assigned where, those would be the key to finding out where mine was stationed.

I've sent a message to the Public Affairs department at Lakenheath, and will do the same for Mildenhall if I hear nothing. Doesn't cost anything to try.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks