• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Kind?

Earth

Hello,

I can't speak the lingo when it comes to radios. I know lots about cows and trees and diesel mechanics but just about nothing when it comes to radios. Funny though, I do remember the call sign of my best friends HAM station: WB2ISJ. And the call sign of another friend's family CB sign: KBU5514. Both those #s have been in my head for over thirty years now.

Anyway, we want to get some radios:

A: One in the house
B: Two in the trucks
C: One hand held

We are in hilly, almost mountainous terrain. The house is in the middle, and we work three miles in either direction. We farm, log, and make maple syrup. Cell phones don't work here, and if and when they do, I don't want one. We tried some "good for 15 miles" hand held jobs, but they don't have enough power. I got a quote this past summer from a radio supply company for the above units. I'm just getting around to making a decision now and want to ask you all for advice. The quoted units are UHF. Is this the right choice? Any advice welcome here.

Thank You
Tom