• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Luck! (pipeline truck saga)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you read any farther, I didn't say bad luck. While rummaging around at my buddies tow yard last night I found that he brought 3 deuces in. Of course anytime one comes in I have to raid the glove compartment and tool boxes. This time was no different. For my efforts I found a new but damaged wiper blade and some rust. The last truck I looked at appears to have a fresh engine in it! I tried to open the tool box but met a little resistance. Had
to resort to the gerber tool to open it. Once open I spied a pile of yellow chain. Big yellow chain! Big yellow chain with pear shaped eyes one one end. Yellow as in Seabee yellow. Much to my amazement this M35A2 had both of the a-frame chains used on the pipeline maintenance truck. Just an incredible find and it was right under my nose. Whats one of the few things missing on my pipeline truck? The yellow chains! I haven't talked to him yet and I know tow companies use chains, but I'm confident that proper persuasion and some bartering stock will net me those chains. The tough stuff keeps turning up!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great find! You have to know what to look for to find it , I say.
Wonder why they are painted yellow, or painted at all.

So, what else do you need?

Are the troop seats, racks and bed sides unique in construction for the pipeline truck?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bummer! During the night I went back to pull the chains out of the truck to see if they were exactly correct. Problem is, there's only one chain. It is the right one but the only one. he might have the other one and for all I know, they may have came out of my truck as this is where I got it. Either way I'm pleased that I at least have a correct one to go from. Bjorn, the bed sides gate are unique to the pipeline constr truck. The seats and racks are but only in lengths. Regular stuff will work, just have to shorten the boards and the same with top bows. Here's what I need to be 100% complete.
1) bed sides, troop seats and top
2) log chain 12' (common and easily purchased)
3) one boom chain
4) 4 lengths of standard size steel pipe (common stuff, used for rolling off stuff)
5) center bed mount with sheave

I have a snatch block that interchanges at the top so the hook can be removed and the cneter anchor attached. If I go this route the common snatch block used on 5 ton trucks will suffice for the other block.

Right now I'm just keeping my eyes open. While having bedsides to be correct, they would probably not get much time on the truck. I have so far to go in the restoration that none of this stuff is urgent. If bed sides become available, great! If not, so be it. I'm very lucky to have all the rare stuff I have for the truck.