• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What M1028 Battery to Buy

cavetech

This is my first post here. Forgive me if this is in the wrong place and move it.

I recently purchased an M1028 dually and today it wouldn't turn over fast enough to start. I've determined it needs new batteries. I've searched this site and gotten a whole lot of good information, but I can't find what batteries I need.

What batteries do I need to buy when I go to town tomorrow?

Thanks,

Steve

kentuckycucv

I put 2 Optima Blue top batteries on the rear tray and removed the front tray. You will need two 800 cold cranking amp batteries. There are several threads. You can also google search and add "cucv" or "steel soldiers" to what your looking for.

Drock

Like Kentucky I also put 2 optima's in the back tray and removed the front tray. Although I chose yellow topsOptima batteries.jpg I had to make the top hold down and lengthen the base. But it did clean up the engine bay.

cavetech

Fortunately I am not on a budget. I've never seen a battery shaped like that Optima. I will look for batteries with at least 800 cold cranking amps tomorrow. I live in Florida where it doesn't stay cold for long in the winter.

I think the positions of the battery terminals matter. If my truck will start I'll drive it to a battery store to get batteries with the posts in the right places.

This is a heck of a site for military vehicle information. I keep finding interesting things to read.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Bummy

Mine had the electrical gone through it before I bought it (m1008). Another thing that helps even in the summer is cycle the glow plugs, in colder temps even more. It's due in part to the indirect injection and prechambers in the engine. Trust me it works.

cavetech

An Optima question. So far I've read about Optima batteries with different color tops. What do the colors mean?

What is "cycle the glow plugs"? Wait until the dash light goes out?

Skinny

A couple of Exide Group 31s from Tractor Supply will do you just fine, and fit into your existing trays with no problem.
Had mine over two years and they are still kicking strong. That includes extended periods of sitting connected without a charger during winter storage. Can't beat the price and availability either.

Any special use like heavy winch or aux accessories? If not, don't waste your money on a gel cell. You'll gain nothing and they have gotten really bad service life over the years. All depends on what your needs are. If I was building an offroad rig I would probably lean that way but I don't have huge demands.

Drock

I can't agree with the bad service life comment . I've had the same red top in my work van for 11 years. Red top in the wife's truck for 4 years. I hear a lot of guy's say they don't last long but it just hasn't bin my experience. Perhaps there using the wrong battery for there application?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't agree with the bad service life comment . I've had the same red top in my work van for 11 years. Red top in the wife's truck for 4 years. I hear a lot of guy's say they don't last long but it just hasn't bin my experience. Perhaps there using the wrong battery for there application?
You don't have extended cold temperatures in Georgia, that may affect the failure rate in northern areas.

Skinny

They are very rugged batteries. A friend of mine actually had his yellow top fall out of his truck (threaded rod snapped that held it down) and he went back to find it on the trail with a big swamper track across it. The quality is very hit or miss. I personally have had numerous yellow and red tops with great luck. I also have replaced many working in the field on 4x4's that see lots of use at a 4wd shop. I'm not impressed and would not take a chance spending that kind of money. You are buying a name and a warranty as far as batteries are concerned so buy it from a place you frequent often.

tim292stro

I like the Odyssey PC2150 Group 31, or the Sears 50131 rebrand of the same for ~$100 less. Higher reserve capacity (better for glow-plug starts), more cranking power (1150CC), and better construction (not coiled, just flat plates, so more actual work being done in the same space). Did I mention the sears battery is easier to find than the Odyssey in a pinch?

I've personally had two Optima batteries fail at bad times within 5 years of purchase/installation even lightly loaded, I'm not buying those again, I don't like being stranded in odd places... :(

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I've been reading about this a lot on different vehicle forums. Looks like they had an ownership change a few years ago and haven't had the same quality since.

Drock

I've been reading about this a lot on different vehicle forums. Looks like they had an ownership change a few years ago and haven't had the same quality since.
Now that you mention it. I haven't heard that about optima ,But I have about Autozone and there batteries. For years I used there "Duralast gold" batteries in both my daily drivers and they worked great. Then ah few years ago I would have to replace them in both cars every cold snap, so once ah year. They'd pro rate it ,But still they should last more then ah year! Finally A.Z. adopted a new store policy that they wouldn't replace a battery until they "Load tested it". After taking both bad batteries to 3 different Az's that all claimed the "batteries where fine" and that "it was my alternator" . I left them on the counter and told the kid to take these "GOOD" batteries home and put them in his mothers car. I ordered 2 red top Optima's, and have had them AND, those alternators in both those cars for 4 years now. I haven't shopped at AZ sense.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks