• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What make and model truck is this?

wsucougarx

Some observations I made were the location of the heater intake on the driver side. The lower location was seen in the late model M35A2C's (1980's). Also, the lack of a pioneer tool rack steered me to the USAF trucks. The US Army added pioneer tool racks at the unit level to a most if not all of their deuces. I have not come across too many late modeled M35A2C's that were used by the Army (unless they were transferred from the USAF to the Army...I have one of those trucks). Most of the contracts in the 1980's were to the USAF. Unless the front bumper was replaced, the USMC/USN had paperclip lifting shackles to aid in lifting/lowering their trucks into ships. In regard to the soft top and curved exhaust stack, I have seen a good number of USAF trucks in the south with those provisions (contact called for hardtops and straight stack w/flapper). These were just the observations I made off the couple pics.
To many, the 1987-1989 M35A2C's are the most sought after due to the split brake system. To verify this, you'd have to crawl under the truck to see if there is a starboard and port side air pack.

jasonjc

Gee I said AF in the 3 or 4th post:roll:. My AF truck has: curved exhaust stack , soft top , slave port and no data plates.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My AF truck has a hard top, curved exhaust stack, no slave port, right half of data plate cut off, and all it's original delivery and maintenance records. I'm more interested in the laser accumulator mounted forward of the air intake. Where can I get a NOS unit like that one?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the item in front of the air intake bonnet?

From WIKI:

"That would be the XM-1985 MMFCMF Combination Unit.... The Miniaturized Militarized Flux Capacitor & Mr. Fusion Como-Unit standardized by the USAF in 1989 to the M-1985 variant. (M-"1985" was the baseline year of the Back To The Future movie series that inspired the military to pursue the whole TIME TRAVEL thing.) In later years, the M-1985 project was abandoned because the congressional-pork-barrel requirement of using the M-35 truck as the operational platform failed to achieve the minimal 88 MPH Space Time Continuum Leap threshold originally discovered by Dr. Emmitt "Doc" Brown. Tests in other vehicular platforms functioned more reliably, however the Test Time-Traveler in the DeLorean Test Series, codenamed, "Marty McFly", regretfully suffered nervous system degeneration effects post-testing, thus killing the M-1985 program altogether. Doc Brown shunned public attention for the invention and often gave full credit for the technology to his faithful dog and mentor, Einstein."

rustystud

Some observations I made were the location of the heater intake on the driver side. The lower location was seen in the late model M35A2C's (1980's). Also, the lack of a pioneer tool rack steered me to the USAF trucks. The US Army added pioneer tool racks at the unit level to a most if not all of their deuces. I have not come across too many late modeled M35A2C's that were used by the Army (unless they were transferred from the USAF to the Army...I have one of those trucks). Most of the contracts in the 1980's were to the USAF. Unless the front bumper was replaced, the USMC/USN had paperclip lifting shackles to aid in lifting/lowering their trucks into ships. In regard to the soft top and curved exhaust stack, I have seen a good number of USAF trucks in the south with those provisions (contact called for hardtops and straight stack w/flapper). These were just the observations I made off the couple pics.
To many, the 1987-1989 M35A2C's are the most sought after due to the split brake system. To verify this, you'd have to crawl under the truck to see if there is a starboard and port side air pack.
I agree with your assessment. It looks just like my M35A2 1988 deuce. Except mine has the straight stack with flapper. The bumper also should have the paperclip shackles if it was truly a Marine truck.

AZDeuce

Not ALL USMC deuces had paper clips, I was in towed artillary both in B Btry 1/11, 1st Division and D Btry 2/12, 3rd Marine Divisions and neither units had paper clips on the deuces. this was back in 74-78. And I've seen several Army trucks with cut off paperclips, indicating possibly that somehow the Army got hold of some Marine Corps deuces. The Marines "usually" under coated their trucks, I got a Ex Airforce/Army deuce that is undercoated, but have found no paint or numbers indicating that it was ever a Marine truck (of course it is now!). So there are so many possible variables out there that it is hard to say what you're looking at unless you can verify by at least 2 features or more, of what your truly looking at, you shouldn't base your decision on just one item.

I've never seen a Marine truck marked USMC on the bumper like this, that doesn't mean it's not so, but seeing every thing else indicates this to be a Air force truck, I'd take that USMC marking with a grain of salt. It could have been applied by a Marine owner, or it could be legit.

meumar

I've never seen a Marine truck marked USMC on the bumper like this, that doesn't mean it's not so, but seeing every thing else indicates this to be a Air force truck, I'd take that USMC marking with a grain of salt. It could have been applied by a Marine owner, or it could be legit.
Ditto. Marine Corps orders, at least when Shep was a pup, were quite specific about where and how to mark vehicles (TM 4750-15/??). Hood markings were the protocol.