• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model Genset is this?

scootertrs

Yea, back on topic!

Hi Peter

OK, look at the various boxes (control boxes) and see if you can figure out which is the regulator. I may have one, it may work, but I don't know. Try measuring the (DC) voltage on the exciter winding on the generator head. See if you have any voltage there. I'm not sure how or if these units need to be flashed (or not).
]

I am pretty sure they need to be flashed... it was not until recently (so I hear) that the new AC gensets did not need that... Either way, fuel tank needs to come out... there is about 1/2 inch of mud or a close relative thereof that is lying on the bottom of the tank waiting for a loss of power and the need for a genset to arise to all of the sodden dislodge itself from the bowels of the fuel tank and clog the next 10 fuel filters... so i will remove it and try my best to get it out now.

Let me take some pics of the control boxes and the regulator (there is one cast aluminum box with 4 large diodes that is all crusted up-I can test each one individually) The unit shows 284 hours... and the way the engine runs, that number is credible. Let me see what this weekend brings.

I am having a problem doing any real voltage testing with the engine running, because after about 20-30 seconds, she shuts down. I also have to fix the radiator hose bungs, they are rusted off, so I cannot run very long without risking an overheat situation. I also know that many of these gensets will shut down if they do not see a voltage on the output. I will take care of the radiator and plod through this. Let me get some additional pics of the other electrical elements to this puppy and see if you recognize any of them.

Thank you for the help.

scootertrs

OK, got the tank out. have about 1/2 inch of crud or sediment on the bottom. Looks like I may have to cut it open to clean it or just go to an outboard tank. anybody know if these tanks have baffles inside? I can cut a hole to do a proper cleaning job, but I will need to make it big enough to use a spatula... that stuff is tenacious. If it has baffles, it will have to be a long hole to give access to all compartments, then make a patch to seal the hole after cleaning. I just thought of something... I have one of those flexible cams that will let me see if there are baffles... but it would be good to know how many. The tank is about 36" long x 18" wide x 6" deep... approx. with the fill neck on one corner and the fuel gage just accross from the fill neck on that narrow end.

scootertrs

Try a power washer. If the tankk isn't rotten, you should be able to disturb debris around the baffles.
jerry
Thanks, I have one, I am going to see if I can get to the extremes. You gave me an idea though, maybe a steam cleaning or maybe putting in a cleaning solution like formula 88 and setting the tank on a hot plate. I think the heat will help loosen crud up. If I find out how many baffles there are, I can possibly open a series of small holes that will allow the pressure head to get behind the baffles, then it owuld just be a matter of plugging them up again.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a buddy that is working on a genset 6115-922-8690(I think the same one in this thread). Anyone have a schematic or TM for one of these?