• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Model is This and would I need a CDL in Texas to drive it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldixie

Hi,
I have just been offered this truck in the picture. I'm new to MV's, can you tell me what model it is. It looks like a 5 ton but the bed seems shorter then most.

Thanks,

Alex

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the data plate is probably a moot point since it's a converted tractor, it's likely still going to have a GVW of over 26k pounds, which in Texas means you need a CDL (and in the case of a 939 series, an Air Brake Endorsement) to legally drive it.

jhooah

Depending on how the bed is mounted and such, "Well worth it" is a real opinion. If you wanted something for real work, there are unmodified 5Tons out there with larger beds that can carry a full load. this truck will have a heavier duty rear spring setup than the standard 5 ton and that has to be taken into account as well. If you want a vehicle for historical purposes it won't be this one without some unmodifying. If you wanted a toy, and the price is what you want to pay after getting a license and such, then go for it.
W Winget
[

QUOTE=DanDan;1590816]Yes to CDL. Buy the truck and have someone drive it for you while you obtain the proper licence. It will be well worth it. Good luck.:tank:[/QUOTE]

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does not require a CDL in TX. It does require at minimum, a class B license but not commercial unless you intend to use the truck commercially.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does not require a CDL in TX. It does require at minimum, a class B license but not commercial unless you intend to use the truck commercially.
The average person can't get a Class B that's non-CDL due to all the hoops you have to jump through (I've been trying for 6 months). I was told for a Class B for an RV that'd I'd have to take the driving portion in the RV. They wouldn't allow me to simply rent a 26k Ryder truck - had to be the RV. For the Firefighter's exemption you have to drive a firetruck for the test, etc, etc.

So, technically, you only need a Class A or Class B license. Good luck getting one that's not got the CDL requirement attatched to it. (And I'm sure we'll be regaled with the many stories of people who have scammed the system but I'm going for the legit license)

Last edited:

runk

And know that if you want to pull a trailer that is rated to more then 10,000 lbs that will bump the license requirement from Class B to Class A.

mkcoen - Do any of the RV places rent (and you'll need a driver) for the tests? I know there are some truck rental places here in Houston that will rent a truck (with a driver) for practice and to take the test once you've taken the written test and have the permit. I've been thinking about trying that route. Although if you want an A do you also need a 10,000+ lbs trailer with the RV ?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOTS of threads about CDL requirements.
And most of them get closed because of all the BS that is posted. What works in one state does not always work in others.

As with all the insurance threads, with CDL questions consult your local Highway Partol or licensing departments.

ke5eua

And know that if you want to pull a trailer that is rated to more then 10,000 lbs that will bump the license requirement from Class B to Class A.
It's not the weight of the trailer you want to pull, it's the GVW of the truck that sets the required class. That is why a brand new Dodge 3500 doesn't require a cdl because the GCWR is under 26000 even though according to the website it can tow a max of 30K

If you hold a cdl you would know this, if not please don't post false information. This is why cdl threads get closed.

OP:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/drivers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter

mkcoen - Do any of the RV places rent (and you'll need a driver) for the tests? I know there are some truck rental places here in Houston that will rent a truck (with a driver) for practice and to take the test once you've taken the written test and have the permit. I've been thinking about trying that route. Although if you want an A do you also need a 10,000+ lbs trailer with the RV ?
I was told by a DPS officer who administers the test that if you are driving with a Class B Exempt license, i.e. for an RV, firetruck, etc, and are stopped in something other than Exempt vehicle, RV, firetruck, etc, then you would be ticketed for driving out of class. The odds of getting stopped are slim but I'm not ready to take chance too often. Thats why I'm back to looking for a LMTV once they become available again.

runk

ke5eua,
I have to respecfully disagree with your statement. From the TxDOT Commercial Driver's License handbook -

Different Classes of Commercial Driver Licenses

There are three (3) basic types or classes of Commercial
Driver Licenses. They are described below. For further information,
refer to the diagram on page ix. This diagram helps
a person determine which class of license he/she needs and
which section(s) of the handbook to study.

CLASS A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more,
provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the
vehicle or vehicles towed exceeds 10,000
pounds;

CLASS B: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 pounds or more, any one of
those vehicles towing a vehicle that does not
exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating,
and any vehicle designed to transport 24
passengers or more, including the driver; and a
Class B license will be restricted to operating
busses under 26,001 pounds GVWR if the skills
test is taken in a bus with a GVWR of less than
26,001 pounds; and

CLASS C: Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles
that is not a Class A or Class B if the vehicle is:
1) designed to transport 16 to 23 passengers
including the driver; or
2) used in the transportation of hazardous materials
that require the vehicle to be placarded
under 49 CFR, Part 172, Subpart F.

It is pretty clear that operating any towed vehicle with a rated weight over 10,000 lbs requires a Class A driver's license, irregardless of the requirements of the towing vehicle. Towing a deuce with a deuce on a Texas public road requires a class A license !
The Texas non-commercial definitions are virtually identical. The actual state codes are in the Texas state laws thread, if you'd like to see them.

ke5eua

ke5eua,
I have to respecfully disagree with your statement. From the TxDOT Commercial Driver's License handbook -

Different Classes of Commercial Driver Licenses

There are three (3) basic types or classes of Commercial
Driver Licenses. They are described below. For further information,
refer to the diagram on page ix. This diagram helps
a person determine which class of license he/she needs and
which section(s) of the handbook to study.

CLASS A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more,
provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the
vehicle or vehicles towed exceeds 10,000
pounds;

CLASS B: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 pounds or more, any one of
those vehicles towing a vehicle that does not
exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating,
and any vehicle designed to transport 24
passengers or more, including the driver; and a
Class B license will be restricted to operating
busses under 26,001 pounds GVWR if the skills
test is taken in a bus with a GVWR of less than
26,001 pounds; and

CLASS C: Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles
that is not a Class A or Class B if the vehicle is:
1) designed to transport 16 to 23 passengers
including the driver; or
2) used in the transportation of hazardous materials
that require the vehicle to be placarded
under 49 CFR, Part 172, Subpart F.

It is pretty clear that operating any towed vehicle with a rated weight over 10,000 lbs requires a Class A driver's license, irregardless of the requirements of the towing vehicle. Towing a deuce with a deuce on a Texas public road requires a class A license !
The Texas non-commercial definitions are virtually identical. The actual state codes are in the Texas state laws thread, if you'd like to see them.
Let me ask a simple question, do you currently hold a cdl?

Status
Not open for further replies.