• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What modifications should I do for my 1009?

timo247

I'm wondering what modifications I should or could do for my M1009 which I want to modify into a good off-roading vehicle. I'm going to rhino line the inside, install starter relay, eventually put on better and bigger tires than stock, install a light bar above the front windshield, install solargizer, roof rack, CB radio, radio and air-conditioning, and a 20 or 40mm ammo can for a center console. I don't know any other modifications to make to it so give me some good ideas and get wild with these ideas! I'll listen to anything ha. now to get comfy and wait for the ideas.:popcorn:

Skinny

What are your plans for offroading? If you are going mild, then a decent tire and shock upgrade might be the only thing in order. If you are going to do anything remote or wild, then you are probably going to be looking for full 1 ton upgrades as the 10 bolts do not take much abuse.

The entire truck unless you want to really crank on the highway does well stock. Get the charging system in order and keep it 24v. Match your tires and gears to how fast you need it to go on the highway.

First and foremost, get up to date on maintenance and repairs before upgrading.

Cheers

timo247

thanks skinny and jdk, I am looking at eventually getting a turbo but thats in the far future. I am only 17 and am relatively new to working on or around MV's. I am going to eventually upgrade to 1 ton but again that isn't anytime soon. I have some buddies that will hopefully help me with how I am able to get this stuff for cheap and how to reduce cost because only being 17 I don't have much of a budget ha. Do you know what light bar I should get? I was think the bar with the separate lights with like five lights on the bar above the cab of the 1009. Thinking about also having 1 light on each rear corner that I can toggle in the cab. thanks fo the responses!

Keith_J

Paint on lining will not significantly reduce the interior noise. The 1009 has lots of "drum head" area of interior sheet metal, it takes mass to damp the lower frequencies. There are mats which will do far more, focus on rust prevention and then use the mats. Over the top, rubber floor mats. These also give good thermal performance which will make air conditioning much easier.

On that, the in-dash units are mostly for front seat. The glass and area in the back will overwhelm anything less than 20,000 BTU/hour. You will need a dual system for ultimate performance. This uses one compressor and condenser with two evaporator units. Sounds unbalanced until you consider the engine will drive the compressor regardless of load. The system's ultimate low temperature is increased when both units are running but the increased suction pressure increases mass flow rate through the system. This increases the heat removed. So go with a dual evaporator system, save your coins.

Rest assured, we are close to getting the M37 running. The lights are mostly working, just need brake and signal lights. Then we can offload the 1009 and throw the alternators in with fresh batteries. Have you saved enough for a pair of Group 31s? We have the cores which will save you $24.

My labor isn't free, I need help in installing suspension bushings in my car. Driving 35 miles to work on your 1009 is much cheaper in my car. Quid pro quo.

jdknech

dont let age get at you, i was 18 when i got my first deuce... 'man i miss being 17... not working 150hr+ a check.. not many bills.. mmm' anyways- back to the topic- i would get a set of 33" tires and trim your fenders.. it feels much more "stable" on the highway without the lift... and i've put it throught stuff off-road you would not believe! lol

Skinny

If you are 17 and own an M1009 you make anyone on here older jealous. Rock On!

I tell anyone young getting into the wheeling sport or working on cars to save your money and prioritize education. You will have plenty of time after college or tech school to play with toys.

Use your money wisely. Spend money on good 31's with a winch. You will go 99% of the places bigger trucks can and the winch does the rest. Get the fuel system (filter and IP) working good without leaks. Make sure your glow plugs function correctly. These two items will make your truck very reliable. If you have the spare cash, rebuild the alternators. This will give you a good DD and wheeling truck to get you through the next few years of life. Then worry about 1 tons, bigger tires, and M37's:carnac:

timo247

Hahaha man keith! ho do you know so much about how to do everything? I'll help you, you just have to say when and I'll get the potatoes going on the grill. hmm and group 31's seem to be mighty expensive. I'm looking on interstate batt right now and your first deuce was at 18 you say JD? wow I would love to have me a deuce to go to school in!

timo247

I'm going to join the Marines after high school in the D.E.P system, or delayed entry program. I love the thought of being out everyday with friends working on vehicles, especially military vehicles. After I get out of the Marines I will look at either being a skydiving instructor or being a handyman.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Skinny has the skinny = reliability is everything. It is disheartening to see a lifted, monster-tired, turbo charged truck stuck someplace because it wont start or run right. Unless its one of those chrome-plated sissy trucks then thats hilarious 8<)

Crewdawg141

If you are 17 and own an M1009 you make anyone on here older jealous. Rock On!

I tell anyone young getting into the wheeling sport or working on cars to save your money and prioritize education. You will have plenty of time after college or tech school to play with toys.

Use your money wisely. Spend money on good 31's with a winch. You will go 99% of the places bigger trucks can and the winch does the rest. Get the fuel system (filter and IP) working good without leaks. Make sure your glow plugs function correctly. These two items will make your truck very reliable. If you have the spare cash, rebuild the alternators. This will give you a good DD and wheeling truck to get you through the next few years of life. Then worry about 1 tons, bigger tires, and M37's:carnac:

Pay attention to this post here Timo - Very Wise Advice!

timo247

Oh trust me I am paying attention to skinny's advice. I have said before that I don't want to be driving to school and my truck conks out and I have to pull off and call for help. Keith has talked about the rebuild kits for the alts and those will be needed if my alternators do not work but eventually I will rebuild them. I would like a winch but I love my security push bar on my truck so much! So its a tossup whether I should get a winch or keep my beloved push bar. I will work on the fuel system and this will be my DD.

Keith_J

How about getting it running? ;)

I'm going to regret posting that. First, draining the tank. I have a tool which will make that easier. Then dropping the tank to clean out any dirt and check the sock for tears. Finally, blow out the fuel lines with compressed air.

Then a few gallons of fresh diesel and loosen all 8 injector lines at the injectors. Wrap with paper towels and crank until all towels are wet with diesel. Then we can finally start the engine. We have two batteries which while weak, my 1031 will jump start. And slap those alternators on. Yes, the starter relay, that is easy.

Then you can scrub the seats down. I'll get the floor pan straight and weld the cracks. The welder is already in the 1031.

You know how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks