• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What mods would you say are the most important or give the most utility to a deuce?

Domodude17

I'm just getting into this and have yet to get a deuce, but i'm just looking at what mods people feel are the most common, the most useful, etc. I would probably go with super singles, I heard locking hubs increases handling and fuel economy a little, power steering of some sort. I have heard of people dropping in Cummins 5.9L with a p-pump in place of the LDT, or upgrading to a LDS for the increased horsepower. There are people commonly trying to get the top speed a little higher, but what about adding a transmission that changes the gearing so that at normal speeds (less than 45 i'd estimate) the deuce's engine isnt running at quite as high of an RPM, improving the fuel economy? I do understand that, as well as the engine swap, are very advanced projects and not ones id probably take on anytime soon.

Has anyone thought about the ZF 8HP transmission? I know its in use in 2013+ Ram 1500 trucks, can handle 516 lbs of torque, and is 8 speed. If that could be mated to the rest of the drivetrain, it could possibly improve things quite a bit, possibly with the addition of a Low/High. There are variants that can handle 750, to 1000 lbs of torque. Could possibly be a project for someone with more money, time, and M35's than myself :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission#Dodge

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folding front bumper step. Best mod going. You'll need it to access the engine compartment to fix all those other mods.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For me, my mods are based upon what I want to do with the truck. At first it was only summer parades, and it was hot. so I installed some interior fans.

I worried a bit about some one curious opening my doors and accidentally disengaging the parking brake or turning on accessory power and I'd have dead batteries or worse. So I installed locking door handles and a battery disconnect.

I LOVE my hood lift shocks from BBQROD
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?123248-Hood-lift-kit-for-the-M35A2

You can see a few of the things I did by following the links in my signature, but I'm just an amateur compared to most here.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Making a Deuce more of a utility vehicle? If the LDT engine is in decent shape its a very good engine, spin on filters certainly help with Maintenance, higher cruising speed? changing engines, changing transmissions, improving fuel economy (WHY they are already very economical) how about changing the gear ratios in the differentials, that would get you more top end how about spending 4 to 5 K on a used oil cleaner? With ALL this said why dont you just buy a nice used pickup and leave the Deuce alone you will be many thousands of $$$$$ ahead and at the end you wont be stuck with a worthless Deuce that nobody wants because its so far from original.
KK

Adrian A

Fix it so it works correctly. Mine is stock as a rock. I love it. Power steering would make those days in the mountains less work for sure. Oh. Put a box of earplugs in the glove compartment for sure.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Change seats, spin on filters, radial 11X20 tires and up grade head lights were the best I have done.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With no stated goals, it's kinda hard to say what you would be best to modify.

Gun Goober

The best mod for me was hanging some genuine, US Navy Regulation, Mark 1 Mod 3, Sound Dampening, Ear Covering Devices! ! ! Some good ear muffs I had left over from my time in the Navy.

eagle4g63

As stated make it run good and save money....as to mods, a civi 24 volt alternator is priceless in my opinion, followed with better lights and upgrade the wiper arms. makes driving it more enjoyable......then some better tires.

Also in regards to your trans questions....an 8 speed trans isn't nessasarily going to give you squat on the top end......you need to know the final gear on the new trans the deuce trans has a pretty good 5th gear(there is also an upgraded overdrive for it)......the rest of the drive tran is going to slow you down. plus you are going to be hard pressed to find a short trans that will fit in the same place as the stock one that is any better than what is in there.

Get the truck make it run good and you will find what you want to improve to suit your taste.

FloridaAKM

I bought my 1987 Deuce w/ a 465 LDT multifuel engine totally stock from day one. The only thing I will do is to change the fuel & oil filters as needed, do all the maintenance necessary & keep her as AM General built her. Okay, a 12v converter to power the cell phone, a rifle holder to lock the rifles, but the extras add cost & change her away from the original design.

Purchasing another truck to do the changes on might be an idea in the future, but not now. Money & time for those of us looking @ 60 is not limitless!

Jeepsinker

11.00r20 tires and the LED lights are my favorite upgrade yet. The braided stainless brake lines from Peashooter cetainly bring a whole other level of confidence to the driving experience though. Nice to know that if you stomp the brakes you aren't just goin to get a "pop" and the pedal hitting the floor. That right there makes driving the deuce a lot more fun.

red

For mods upgrading to 395's has been my best, but I drive on the highway regularly where the speed limit is 75, and the big rigs are running 80.

For longevity fuel and oil filter upgrades are great.

Have a idea with providing better gearing at top speed and a much better low range for offroad. Will be installing that in the spring.

Niknil

Making a Deuce more of a utility vehicle? If the LDT engine is in decent shape its a very good engine, spin on filters certainly help with Maintenance, higher cruising speed? changing engines, changing transmissions, improving fuel economy (WHY they are already very economical) how about changing the gear ratios in the differentials, that would get you more top end how about spending 4 to 5 K on a used oil cleaner? With ALL this said why dont you just buy a nice used pickup and leave the Deuce alone you will be many thousands of $$$$$ ahead and at the end you wont be stuck with a worthless Deuce that nobody wants because its so far from original.
KK
KK- I guess I am in the wrong forum. I thought this was the Deuce Modification and Hot-Rodding forum where the purpose was expression of ideas on... modification...and Hot-Rodding...

HanksDeuce

#1 Power Steering
#2 Bobbing it 3 feet shorter and losing an axle
#3 Suspension lift (8 inch) + 53 inch Michelins
#4 Disc Brakes

I can't comment on swapping the 5.9L Cummins because I ain't done yet.

rustystud

I bought my 1987 Deuce w/ a 465 LDT multifuel engine totally stock from day one. The only thing I will do is to change the fuel & oil filters as needed, do all the maintenance necessary & keep her as AM General built her. Okay, a 12v converter to power the cell phone, a rifle holder to lock the rifles, but the extras add cost & change her away from the original design.

Purchasing another truck to do the changes on might be an idea in the future, but not now. Money & time for those of us looking @ 60 is not limitless!
You said that right ! Trying to modify a truck on a fixed income can be a challenge !

todds112

My list of mods was: remote brake resevoir, locking door handles, spin on filters. All I have gotten done is the brake resevoir. Other fixes and PM keeps pushing the others back. I want to keep it as stock as possible, but make it safer and easier to live with.

Super singles were on the list. I doubt budget and time will ever allow me to do it though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks