• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What mods would you say are the most important or give the most utility to a deuce?

w3azel

I will eventually. The truck will be a dark grey with black accent when it finally gets sprayed. With the cold here I don't think I'll get to paint her till spring. Spent my summer weekends taking her to the river and camping instead of getting finished up.

rustystud

You could also look into dual speed differentials - Rockwell makes diff-carriers with planetary reducers for an extra low, if you're lucky you can just drop them in. This way you can set the ring/pinion and tire size for highway speeds in your high gears and you still get another level of low when you want to crawl. You'd also get the benefit of the last reduction being done as close to the wheels as possible reducing the load on the rest of your drive-train (next most expensive step would be to get planetary hub axles).

I also second the idea of a 5.9L Cummins 6BT and perhaps an Allison auto, or another more modern manual transmission that can get you more gears. The 6BT is adaptable to any transmission so the sky is the limit (well actually, space and cost is your practical limit).

I'd encourage you to check that torque input for the engine output in your application and do a full work up of the drive-train ratings (all the manufacturer documents can be found). In the XM1027 Crew Cab CUCV build I'm doing, the 350HP Cummins 6BT I'm building will get me a peak torque of about 1060ft-lbs of torque (@1750RPM). You want to make sure whatever you do with your modifications you won't have to do again due to catastrophic failure (better to spend $500 extra on a more durable transmission than buy two $1200 transmissions), or injure/kill anyone - as a vehicle modifier you take full responsibility for the outcome. Research the input torque ratings of all of your components, and find out what gearing combinations will get you into trouble and where your weak points are, look at duty cycles and vehicle loads in addition to road speeds - it would be good practice if you're trying to get into the automotive engineering world, and if nothing else it would be a good academic exercise :).

For all the modification bashing that goes on for those who wish to keep it stupid simple (KISS), there is something to be said for advancing your parts list about 40 years up for spares availabiliScan0008.jpg

Rockwell made a series of Double Reduction 2 Speed Differentials in the 1960's. I've rebuilt quite a few of them. The only problem is they are much heavier and are not top loaders like ours are. Plus you would need the larger axle housing as the smallest was installed in a 5 ton truck. Even if you could find one, it would probably need rebuilding, and the cost for just the main shaft bearings was $500.00 each ! That was back in the early 1980's . One plus was that the high reduction was 6:1 just like our deuces and the low reduction was 8:1. So you could use a high reving engine like a 350 Chevy for highway speeds and still have the low end power for messing around in the woods and muck. Of course if you went that route you eliminate the whole reason for having a Multifuel engine or any diesel in a 6X6 truck.

Last edited:

RAYZER

One of the mods I made recently to my deuce tractor that I appreciate most is comfortable seats!
These seats are out of something military, not sure from what.
I bought the seats with springer base adapters at the 2014 GR and installed them before the trip back to Fl,
Huge improvement!!
Another mod that i find very useful is a pyrometer/boost gauge so I can avoid a potential meltdown! uploadfromtaptalk1415975410172.jpguploadfromtaptalk1415975361664.jpg

Domodude17

You could also look into dual speed differentials - Rockwell makes diff-carriers with planetary reducers for an extra low, if you're lucky you can just drop them in. This way you can set the ring/pinion and tire size for highway speeds in your high gears and you still get another level of low when you want to crawl. You'd also get the benefit of the last reduction being done as close to the wheels as possible reducing the load on the rest of your drive-train (next most expensive step would be to get planetary hub axles).

I also second the idea of a 5.9L Cummins 6BT and perhaps an Allison auto, or another more modern manual transmission that can get you more gears. The 6BT is adaptable to any transmission so the sky is the limit (well actually, space and cost is your practical limit).

I'd encourage you to check that torque input for the engine output in your application and do a full work up of the drive-train ratings (all the manufacturer documents can be found). In the XM1027 Crew Cab CUCV build I'm doing, the 350HP Cummins 6BT I'm building will get me a peak torque of about 1060ft-lbs of torque (@1750RPM). You want to make sure whatever you do with your modifications you won't have to do again due to catastrophic failure (better to spend $500 extra on a more durable transmission than buy two $1200 transmissions), or injure/kill anyone - as a vehicle modifier you take full responsibility for the outcome. Research the input torque ratings of all of your components, and find out what gearing combinations will get you into trouble and where your weak points are, look at duty cycles and vehicle loads in addition to road speeds - it would be good practice if you're trying to get into the automotive engineering world, and if nothing else it would be a good academic exercise :).

For all the modification bashing that goes on for those who wish to keep it stupid simple (KISS), there is something to be said for advancing your parts list about 40 years up for spares availabiliView attachment 526953

Rockwell made a series of Double Reduction 2 Speed Differentials in the 1960's. I've rebuilt quite a few of them. The only problem is they are much heavier and are not top loaders like ours are. Plus you would need the larger axle housing as the smallest was installed in a 5 ton truck. Even if you could find one, it would probably need rebuilding, and the cost for just the main shaft bearings was $500.00 each ! That was back in the early 1980's . One plus was that the high reduction was 6:1 just like our deuces and the low reduction was 8:1. So you could use a high reving engine like a 350 Chevy for highway speeds and still have the low end power for messing around in the woods and muck. Of course if you went that route you eliminate the whole reason for having a Multifuel engine or any diesel in a 6X6 truck.
A quick google search pulled up a couple results for double reduction 2 speed differentials, so it might be possible. This is getting to the point though where it might be easier to put a deuce cab on a commercial pickup, or take an unrunning deuce and put in a full powerplant and drive system from a pickup in it :p

rustystud

That is the eternal question "Domodude17" ! How far do you go in the pursuit of perfection ? For most the limiting factor is the money. For others it's the time. As I'm getting older it's both ! So I'll just settle for a good running truck that I can enjoy for the remainder of my years on this earth.

Last edited:

rustystud

One of the mods I made recently to my deuce tractor that I appreciate most is comfortable seats!
These seats are out of something military, not sure from what.
I bought the seats with springer base adapters at the 2014 GR and installed them before the trip back to Fl,
Huge improvement!!
Another mod that i find very useful is a pyrometer/boost gauge so I can avoid a potential meltdown! View attachment 526965View attachment 526964
I totally agree ! Nothing beats a good drivers seat ! After most trips now I can barely walk for about 1/2 hour afterwards.

red

Rayzer those seats are from a different model MRAP, look a lot like the seats we had in our JERRV while I was in Iraq.

New seats make a huge difference. Even with just short trips I've found mine to be much more enjoyable to drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks