• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What numbers are you using for you registrations/title?

86M10086.2L

For those of you who were fortunate enough to be able to register your Military trailers without having to go the homebuilt route. What numbers are you using for the vin#? The serial number or the registration number? the only reason I ask is that the DMV is giving me a hard time as the serial number for my 1967 Stevens Manufacturing CO M416 is comming up in their database for a 1975 car trailer of a different manufacturer thats already registered. And they wont let my number in as it wouldbe a duplicate. So I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do next. Has anyone used the registration number as their vin? My trailer is legit, but if I can't register it it's pretty much useless to me. Only thing I can come up with is either its an error or something fishy was done with my trailers info and thats why it was never registered.

dittle

See if you can use both in combination, if not go with the registration #. I didn't have any issue with my M105 but your situation is kind of unique.

KaiserM109

Use whatever is on the SF97.

I had a similar problem. The truth is that the military doesn't assign serial numbers to trailers the way they do to vehicles. Don't try to explain that to the folks at the DMV, though. They just can't fathom that.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I tried to do the SF97 with the numbers on the trailer, but the DMV computer didn't like them....

So New Mexico issued me a new VIN for the trailer.

Ed

dittle

Another thing to try is a different DMV. Sometimes you will run into someone who has a clue as to what to do and they will take care of it for you.

JB

I tried to do the SF97 with the numbers on the trailer, but the DMV computer didn't like them....

So New Mexico issued me a new VIN for the trailer.

Ed
Ditto that for me except instead replace SF97 with data plate and replace NM with Florida

Lex_Ordo

Get a title from International Titles.
They will assign it a VIN, from whatever state they use, and you use the title which is signed over to you to register it.

NY wants a VIN, and there is no title for Light trailers in NY, so you need to get a title from another state to make the process quick & easy.

For my 1/4 ton I tried to use the 4 digit serial number and it was no good. I had to use a title that came from CO. The surplus dealer i bought from went and registered it at the CO dmv, then signed it over to me. I brought it to NY DMV, and it was 1,2,3. However I did nee to obtain a weigh slip.

I bought a 1954 m269 wrecker lowboy made by pressed steel car company that has a 4 digit serial number I had a bill of sale and had to get a bond when the county sheriff came out to check the numbers he told me that a trailer with the same serial number was stolen in california but the year and manufacturer where diffrent .he signed the paper and I had no more problems . there has to be countless companys that have built trailers and they have to start some where with the numbers . I would try again

86M10086.2L

I was planning on using a title company as I would like to get paperwork for the trailer that matches it's information. I know that it can be registered as a homebuilt as that is the fate of many surplus trailers. But I think that these trailers are worth a little bit more if they are registered under their original info. My main problem though is that most title companies ask you to check if the vehicle/trailer is stolen, salvaged, or currently registered/titled in your state before they can title it. Now that the serial number comes up for that other trailerthat is currently registeredI dont know if they will be able to do anything for me. I'll have to call them and check.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see what the issue would be if you have two serial numbers that are identical but with different manufacturers. As suggested above, check another DMV office.
Here in Michigan, I took a photo of my trailer and its data plates showing manufacturer, model and serial number, and weight, and was in and out of the Secretary of State's office in fifteen minutes with a new registration and license plate.

dcwilkie

I don't see what the issue would be if you have two serial numbers that are identical but with different manufacturers. As suggested above, check another DMV office.
Here in Michigan, I took a photo of my trailer and its data plates showing manufacturer, model and serial number, and weight, and was in and out of the Secretary of State's office in fifteen minutes with a new registration and license plate.
Excellent idea and one I hope to emulate.

jimm1009

title whoes

I'm not usre about your state but they told me something similar and so I went outside, removed the data plate, went back in and handed it to the supervisor along with the paperwork and told her that I did not care if there was another serial number in their system as this is the facotry original data plate from another company and this is the serial number.
She force-fed the system and it went through like that.
I could understand if you have a 1954 Checkercab trailer s/n 123456 and there is already another 1954 Checkercab s/n 123456 already registered but that is not the case.
I'd make them use the correct s/n if it was me but you milage may vary.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
PS: Sometimes it is a hassle but perhaps you have a firend in a bordering state where you could give it to him, have him do a title only, and them have him give it back to you 2 months later.

Jim

Lex_Ordo

I know this is a bit dated, but I was recently speaking with some folks who suggested that, if you have a trailer with 3 or 4 digit serial numbers, then try and combine them on the end of the NSN #.
Every NSN, is specific to a piece of equipment, and they are all 13 digits. Add the 3 or 4 digit serial number from your trailer to the NSN, and you have a specific vin number for a specific trailer configuration.
There might be other trailers with the same serial number, but it is highly unlikey they will be part of the same NSN. Different NSN for different pieces of equipment.
So by adding the trailer's serial number to the NSN, you get an individually assigned VIN for your exact style trailer.

Last edited:

When any of us go to the DMV to get any thing military registered we want it to be as correct as possible . they have enough problems enter the information and the computer accepting it . it seams they like long numbers .

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Dittle, go to the next office. A different clerk will have a different opinion and probably help you out.

hilber

Most states require 17 digits after 1990 or so and before that it really doesn't matter. GA is really easy to get things done. Hate you are having problems in other states.

Ratch

I feel for you guys on LI. I moved off LI about a year ago. I do not miss the DMV...

That said, no one mentioned Maine registration. You can mail order a tag from Maine for $90. I haven't tried it myself, but I probably will soon to speed up the process of legitimizing some of my trailers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks