• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What OEM 16" Wheels Will Properly Fit the M1009 (From Any Make or Model), If Any???

ssdvc

What OEM 16" Wheels Will Properly Fit the M1009 (From Any Make or Model), If Any???

I am wondering what, if any, 16" wheels from any make or model will properly fit my M1009? I am looking to go a bit bigger on my tires (running stock 31x15" now) and I am trying to see what options are out there. Does anything from Ford, Dodge, Chevy or ANY other make) properly fit?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the backspacing is the same, or only slightly less, most any wheel with the correct bolt pattern should fit.
Finding one that is hub centric could be a bit trickier.

ssdvc

As long as the backspacing is the same, or only slightly less, most any wheel with the correct bolt pattern should fit.
Finding one that is hub centric could be a bit trickier.
Understand, but what, specifically, would fit. Hub centric would be awesome.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There must be hundreds to chose from, but Tire Rack (for example) lists backspacing. And you can search using make and model and narrow the results down that way.
Unfortunately, most wheels offered these days are pretty darn ugly, I think, but many can be fixed with a simple spray can.
I used to run relatively plain aluminum wheels that I painted with OD and black, making them blend in quite well. If you want, I can dig up a photo to give you an idea of what they can be made to look like.

Of course, if you want steel wheels, places like Coker may be a source.

ssdvc

RGR. I am trying to get a feel of what fits so I can go to the junk yard and see what I can get on the cheap. I was also thinking about the spray can route. I saw some Plastic Coating in Home Depot the other day and in flat black. That might be the ticket if I can find the right wheels. Not looking for beautiful, as my 09 is stock and I want to keep that look.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good find, m38inmaine! Now you got me lusting for that kind of wheel, for other projects.
Since those wheels have sufficient load rating, if built right (to handle the high lateral loads of a tandem axle trailer) they should hold up.

cucvrus

Double check with a wheel shop. I know trailer tires are not to used on the vehicle and if I remember correctly. Trailer wheels have a different rating. Just to be safe. I would check with Jackmen wheel. But older Chevrolet trucks from the 50's had 16" wheels on them. I ran a set of them on an M1009 with ND from an M151. Less then desirable results. I have 2 dozen brand new tires for an M151 and wanted to use them. Very poor set up. I could be wrong but wheels have a code and it refers to weight , speed and bead. I remember JJ is a bead rating/code. Been a long time. You know 15" narrow wheels from a stock Chevrolet pickup fit. A Toyota truck has 16" on some and they fit Chevrolet. Check it out. I have a set of 15" Toyota steel wheels and a set of narrow 1987 Chevrolet 15" steel wheels. I plan on putting LT23585R15 tires on them. I want to put them on an M1009. Good Luck. I know 235/15 are less money then the 31 10.50 tires.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check with a wheel shop. I know trailer tires are not to used on the vehicle
That's correct. Trailer tires aren't built to handle torque loads, like on a drive axle, among other differences.
But I wouldn't be surprised if trailer wheels are built to a higher standard when it comes to loads in general.

cucvrus

1992 V5 Blazer has the off set wheels. 1991 was the last year for the K5 Blazer. Your 1992 had a completely different suspension and axle system then the 1973-1991 K5 Blazer. The wheels would fit but turning would not be possible and the wheels would be very far under the truck in the rear also.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a set of 6-lug aluminum wheels off craigslist and it never occurred to me to check the offset or hub-centric. Now that I see the pics I think after five years on the truck they need another coat of paint.

Attachments

Kaiser67M715

The problem with these year vehicles is the hub bore diameter-stock is 4.280 inches, a wheel with a 4.250" bore will fit, but is tight. Any newer GMC/Chevy(1988 and newer) will not fit because the hub bore is only 3.325"(if I recall right)

Toyota uses the same bore and stud spacing as the 73-87 1/2 ton, they do tend to have a little more backspacing though. I don't know the year range and models of Toyota that fit though.

I cannot confirm the following, but some of the new Colorado wheels may have the right hub bore diameter, but only in certain rim styles and limited years(like '09-'11?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Would not drive with the old M1009 wheels on a newer Silverado/Sierra 1/2 ton . The steering will be limited. The wheels will not be able to turn all the way with out hitting the fenders. Unless it is lifted or hacked up.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OOps...my mistake...didn't see 6 lug so removed post

Ilikemtb999

Would not drive with the old M1009 wheels on a newer Silverado/Sierra 1/2 ton . The steering will be limited. The wheels will not be able to turn all the way with out hitting the fenders. Unless it is lifted or hacked up.

Well the 15's don't fit anyways, I had put one up to see if the 33" tires would fit. Thanks for playing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks