• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what parts do you keep on hand?

croftonaviation

I am waiting on paperwork to pick up mu deuce and was wondering two things.

1st off what spare parts do you advise keeping on hand. Not like a spare engine but things for the usual small problem that can be fixed without a engine hoist.

2nd is there a list somewhere of common filters, fluids, & bulbs with civilian part numbers ?

Thanks
Tom

croftonaviation

thanks, on page 2 of the thread it looks like a part # list, but the image won't open up can someone either post it opened up or perhaps a different link? Thanks again.

Tom

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very few people have horded like I have over the years. With that said, I keep a bare minimum on hand ! I used to have a whole garage filled with spare parts. I was sitting around admiring my shelves of NOS or nice used parts and started thinking about how much $$$ I had sitting there. My attitude was that I should buy most any parts that I found that were either a really good deal or rare. I figured I had about $20K of parts sitting around and most for years. I finally came to the realization that it would be better to spend a few more bucks when I need something rather than tie up $20K in parts that I may never use. If you can afford to keep spare parts and have the space, it is not a bad idea. However, I'd rather invest that money in more trucks. Now, I keep nothing more than extra filters, belts, a few alternators, and some other bigger truck parts (e.g., two complete dump truck cargo cover kits, some extra M925 cargo cover kits, a few sets of bows, a few deuce cargo cover kits, an M105 cargo cover, a couple dozen tires mounted on rims, and some odds and ends like NOS fire extinguishers and decontamination kits...I am sure I still have other stuff, but this is what comes to mind). Basically, I keep some supplies for my trucks and servicing items...that's it. I bet I am a rarity on this list. Most guys think to horde parts. I wonder how frequently they use them. I bet it is not often and they have a lot of money tied up in those parts. The guys that keep a parts truck or two have the right idea. They are not expensive and can sit until you need something. The problem for me is I have neighbors and I could never have a hulk sitting around.

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

Very few people have horded like I have over the years. With that said, I keep a bare minimum on hand ! I used to have a whole garage filled with spare parts. I was sitting around admiring my shelves of NOS or nice used parts and started thinking about how much $$$ I had sitting there. My attitude was that I should buy most any parts that I found that were either a really good deal or rare. I figured I had about $20K of parts sitting around and most for years. I finally came to the realization that it would be better to spend a few more bucks when I need something rather than tie up $20K in parts that I may never use. If you can afford to keep spare parts and have the space, it is not a bad idea. However, I'd rather invest that money in more trucks. Now, I keep nothing more than extra filters, belts, a few alternators, and some other bigger truck parts (e.g., two complete dump truck cargo cover kits, some extra M925 cargo cover kits, a few sets of bows, a few deuce cargo cover kits, an M105 cargo cover, a couple dozen tires mounted on rims, and some odds and ends like NOS fire extinguishers and decontamination kits...I am sure I still have other stuff, but this is what comes to mind). Basically, I keep some supplies for my trucks and servicing items...that's it. I bet I am a rarity on this list. Most guys think to horde parts. I wonder how frequently they use them. I bet it is not often and they have a lot of money tied up in those parts. The guys that keep a parts truck or two have the right idea. They are not inexpensive and can sit until you need something. The problem for me is I have neighbors and I could never have a hulk sitting around.
Very good post bruce,
I still am a horder!!!! It certinly is not easy. Been collecting MV's and parts for a while now. I started with my M37 (still restoring) and even back then I was in the mindset that I bought double of wear items such as seals and rubber parts that will dry rot. I am sitting on quite of stash for the M37 in NOS parts. Not alot of money back then but now I just see $$$$$$. Then I ask myself, do I really want to install that?????

Now as time went by, throw the deuce in the mix.....another type of parts, then I got 5 tons...........now the M151.

I try to do the best I can as I am usually one of the ones at rallys that walk the flea markets 6 times a day and never really look at running vehilcles.....lol

What only makes me nervious is, how long will those parts be out there???? I have a dream of preserving some history for future generations. I just want to keep my trucks going for many years. I do what I can with the budget I have. But yea i have sold some parts for way much more then I bought them at, but then there was no need for those parts and I took the money made and put it back towards parts that eventually I will.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think most importantly are brake parts. I have a complete set of spare brake hoses, enough steel line to do a few trucks and gallons of brake fluid. I also have a few sets of new brake shoes and many more serviceable take off brake shoes. Of course some of this stuff I won't be able to find when I need it. Also have extra seals and boots on hand at all times. Lately I've been collecting canned motors.

badgmc56

I make sure my computer is working at all times! Any part I need is only a click away. Can't afford and don't have the room to store spare parts. Not to say I don't have parts for my M-211 that need to be installed but that is a work in progress.

Brock Steel

1 cell phone. 2 fan belts .3 oil, axle grease. 4 coolant, brake fliud. 5 duct tape & electric tape . 6 assorted tool's. 7 spare light bulbs. 8 Good spare tire, axle seals . 9 first aid kit and fire extinguisher. 10 did is say cell phone?

Last edited:

monkeythumbs

If you go over to the old steel soldiers website under the resources tab you'll find the cross-reference list for napa. You should be able to get your spare belts,bulbs,fluids etc, the same day or the next. Mechical spare parts are a little harder to come by , you'll have to find someone who parting out a running truck and make them a good offer what they don't need.

Westex

I think you're asking "'what do I need to recover my deuce"; look at the Recovery post further down and you'll see alot of posts there; in summary, take some GL-1 gear oil from NAPA; some DOT 5 brake fluid (it's expensive); lots of water; a BUD 4 way wrench(in case you have a flat) I personally take a bottle of CO2 with a straight airtool valve for fillup; a FIRE EXTINGUISHER is recommended; a primary fuel filter would be good; and as always, you've got this site for backup. Good luck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For recoveries, go check the link posted earlier int he thread (GL/DRMO checklist).

What do I keep at home?

Minimum of 2 gallons of BFS, 2 sets of oil and fuel filters, coolant and SCA's, packard connectors (male and female), high quality 14 gauge wire, radiator hoses, grease, GL1, 15W40 Rotella, 24V bulbs for all the turn/tail/brake lights.

croftonaviation

thanks for the reply's so far. I'm not worried about getting it home, I think I have a plan for that. It's the stuff that normally goes out. I use ford 9n tractors on my farm and I know what parts I keep on hand for them. The napa stuff is easy enough to get even though as has been pointed out a spare set of filters, belts, ect is a good idea. It's the hard to get stuff. injection/fuel pumps, tires, brake parts. That's the stuff I'm worried about. Although the idea of a parts truck is not a bad one, and I habe the storage space. So thanks for the ideas. Also where is a good place to pick up a spare IP?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks