• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What parts should be inspected and/or replaced when sand blasting and painting frame.

Tom Thumb

I don't see a post specifically discussing the parts that one should check and possibly replace when stripping down all M939 series trucks to it's frame, sand blasting and painting the frame. I don't want to confuse this post by discussing the various versions of trucks, as I'm sure a dump truck would have parts that a wrecker wouldn't have and vice versa. Instead I'd like to list the parts that all M939 series truck parts have in common.

I'm not a mechanic (but willing to learn) so it would be very helpful if you guys could list the types of things to look for. I did read a post that discussed when sand blasting, it is easy to get sand in places that it should not go, was it wheel bearings? So, I'm assuming things like that would be on the list.

Thanks I hope this post will be helpful to myself and many others.

Csm Davis

Tom Thumb if you are going to sandblast anything totally disassemble the part to be blasted, this includes the frame leave nothing attached and you should be fine. Since you mentioned the Frame I will say that is going to be a heck of a job to totally disassemble and rebuild a M939, but take lots of pictures of where everything goes and go for it. The only thing you don't want to blast is plastic or rubber parts and mating surfaces but you can tape off any of those and blast away.

sent from my decrepit fingers