• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Plates on a Deuce in GA

taylordc15

I know the first ten replies will be use the search function but I have been reading through posts for days and while there is a lot of great info on insurance I haven't found any on what plates people are running in GA.

I have been leaning toward Antique plates as it seems GA is not as restrictive in their use as other states but it seems the code I was reading 40-2-77 has been repealed and I can't find anything on what replaced it.

Guys with a Deuce in GA what plates are you running, what is the cost and why did you go that route.

I would just go down to the DMV and ask but I'm in Afghanistan, just bought a truck in IL and want to have all the questions answered before I get home and go recover it.

Thanks

zout

I run just reg plates - if ya run into insurance issues we are right here and my wife is an agent for State Farm and everything we have is insured through them with not one dribble of problems - at good rates with us FULLY COVERED.

We do not play the license plate game - we get what it takes and is suppose to be on there. I do not spend money on anything more than it takes.

RIght up Killian Hill from ya.

Heavysteven

I see guys with regular plates all the time. However, I have a weighted plated of 26,000. Cobb County DMV would not let me have anything else. They said it was a cargo truck. Plate was cheap though $40. Oh and they has a officer come out to verify my vin.

taylordc15

Zout, thanks, Ill get up with you when I get home. I currently have everything else through State Farm but it would be nice to talk to an agent that knows what they are. They canceled the insurance on my M1009 because they couldn't figure out what it was and since I'm over here I haven't had any luck getting it sorted out.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Technically, a deuce should have 26,000 Lb plates because of the highway payload capacity. I have 18,000 Lb weight plates on mine because it is arguable that it is call a 2-1/2 truck. Standard plates are definitely illegal. When I got my first deuce several years ago, the tag office told me all I needed was standard plates since I wasn't using it for commercial purposes. I then got pulled over because of the incorrect plates, but the deputy didn't give me a ticket because he liked my truck. I then called the state and they told me I could get away with 18,000 Lb plates. Standard plates are definitely not legal.

sandcobra164

Reading the above comments, I suppose I am illegal. I'll have to talk to my tag office about this, can anyone cite the wording in the Code 40 that I should reference? I'll be looking at it shortly. I've got regular plates and insurance on my Deuce, been that way for 3 years now. Time for me to do some reading, I'm hobby use only, no commercial work.

3dAngus

I just let them tell me what plates to use on the 13000 pound truck, and they told me I had to have commercial plates. State Farm, who insured it before the plates were procured, insured it and listed it as commercial. I don't know what is right or what is wrong though. The Ga. DMV is not the most friendly place in the world (in Atlanta that is) and often give out bad advice on non-standard vehicles.

I know this doesn't help a bit. I guess the moral of this story is, be prepared for anything when you go into the local county office. They might surprise you and give you something you really didn't want, but might have to get, if you want a tag. And DO NOT expect to get a title unless you have one from the seller from out of state. Even then, you might not get one.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you can see from the copy of my tag receipt, my 18,000 Lb commercial plate only cost $25.00 for the tag and $1.11 for the ad valorem tax for a total of $26.11. The commercial tags are not expensive by any means, so there is really no reason not to use the correct tag. Tags for deuces are very cheap in Georgia.

Attachments

sandcobra164

Thanks Mr. Gary. I wasn't too concerned with the costs as mine runs about the same as yours. I'm just wanting to know what to tell the ladies at the tag office. It was hard enough getting it registered in the first place and I'm not familiar with commercial plates.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was stationed there, I ran antique plates. Pictures went to State Farm and the DMV, totally legit and it was cheap.[thumbzup]

RayK

GA Tags

I went to the Crawford county tag office in 2010 to get an antique tag for my deuce - they said those recently went up to $80, but a 26,000 lb tag was $38. GADOT could argue an 18,000 lb plate, since they go by the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), which is around 23,000 lbs, depending on which model deuce you have.

voltedge

Just wondering how you guys are coming up with the 26,000lb tag? My truck weighs 13,000 plus the payload of 10,000 which is 23,000lbs. My a3 is 14,000lbs plus the 10,000lbs payload for 24,000 total. Why are you saying 26,000lb? Do you get a choice of either an 18,000lb or a 26,000lb as the choices with nothing in between? I just got mine and it was an 18,000lb on my a2, but I thought it was wrong, and I am deciding now since it will not be used to haul that much anyway. Where does the trailer weight play into this if at all? Thanks

Rmtaunton

I run just reg plates - if ya run into insurance issues we are right here and my wife is an agent for State Farm and everything we have is insured through them with not one dribble of problems - at good rates with us FULLY COVERED.

We do not play the license plate game - we get what it takes and is suppose to be on there. I do not spend money on anything more than it takes.

RIght up Killian Hill from ya.

I know I haven't been around to be in the GA mafia yet :) but I had a heck of a time getting mine done it's a commercial tagged and insured that way just so I had all bases covered . Definatly looking forward to meeting you again , are you doing the cook out again this year

Robert

wilfreeman

Just wondering how you guys are coming up with the 26,000lb tag? My truck weighs 13,000 plus the payload of 10,000 which is 23,000lbs. My a3 is 14,000lbs plus the 10,000lbs payload for 24,000 total. Why are you saying 26,000lb? Do you get a choice of either an 18,000lb or a 26,000lb as the choices with nothing in between? I just got mine and it was an 18,000lb on my a2, but I thought it was wrong, and I am deciding now since it will not be used to haul that much anyway. Where does the trailer weight play into this if at all? Thanks
Just go with what you think your max weight will be. They are prob doing 26,000 because that is the max you can weigh without a cdl. If you are planning on hauling sand and gravel, it would be easy to overload without knowing. In SC, you pay $10 more on your tag/ 1,000# weight (for a weighted plate). I tagged my bobber for 20,000 because the truck weighs ~11,000, car hauler + jeep ~ 4,700, and can still haul ~3,000 in the bed (total 18,700# with a little room to breath). The trailer weight is added into the gross vehicle weight (13,000 + trailer weight).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks