• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What priority should deuce modifications have?

blakeke

I bought a deuce off Kublos, and they put a dump bed on it. I got a primary fuel and oil spin on adapters from Jatonka. I want to do the wheels next, I was thinking of getting some rims made by longs, and putting 14.5 or so tires on them. Perhaps with Jatonkas lockout hubs(would they fit the new rims?). Then maybe a centrifugal oil filter (that I have lying around), or getting a pyro and turning my fuel up (does that effect milage?). Then perhaps M-35toms overdrive, then, maybe some time in the future (beyond where I've tried to do my homework) try to switch it to a 2 tank veggie oil setup. Does that sound like a reasonable course of action? Any things I should do first or know? Would this picture be enough for Longs to fabricate the rims?

Last edited:

blakeke

this picture, what tires should I go with and why? WVO is available, if it's properly centrifuged and heated it seems to make sense, but as I said I haven't really thought that far.

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
work on your Brakes and tires FIRST!!!! split brakes,,, or just making sure the parking E brake works.... the rest of the truck wil work, because our goverment planed for uninformed people to be working on this stuff in Dire situations..

blakeke

My parking brake seems to work fine. The brakes sound like a good idea, what's the best way to bring the brakes up to very good standards? That would be to prevent failure and make it stop better, right? Around what should that cost?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3 version & some late model USAF A2's had a 'split brake system' your passenger car does also.
The rest of the A2's have a single reservoir master cylinder that feeds all 6 wheel cylinders.
a split system has a dual reservoir master cylinder, typically 1 for the front and 1 for the rears.
Cost? Make it stop better?
I dunno

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That pic would probably be enough, but why waste good money on MPT rims? VERY limited tire selection for those rims. Heck I could probably get you some A3 rims with worn tires for $1200. I'm sure custom rims would be more and not have the beadlocks etc with them.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Because I don't have a fuge or heat tank to remove the water. I get plenty of wmo, hydraulic fluid, and other hydrocarbons that work just fine. And if you mix the two, look out, it "turds" up the system.

blakeke

Ah, so it splits the brakes into 2 systems that are unlikely to fail at the same time. That makes sense. I wanted to get the rims to replace the split rims with Michelin xl 11r20s that are on it now because those things kind of scare me so I don't like them. It looked like the custom rims would be around 300 a piece delivered, which seemed fair, but if a3 rims are safe and cheaper or better then that would be good advice. I think the custom rims can run tubeless, but I don't really know what difference that makes. Thanks for answering my questions, I'm not a mechanic and while I love my truck I find it hard to know what to do. So the impression I'm getting is that ripping the rims and brake system off an A3 would be cheaper/easier. What tires would you guys recommend putting on them? I figured six would be cheaper than staying with 10, and getting them as big as easily possible would get a bit more highway speed (and look cooler as well). It occurs to me that even the 11r20s might be throwing off my speedometer so it might not be as slow as I think it is. I like the weight spread out a bit so it doesn't mess up lawns too badly. Is there something wrong with the 14.5s? I thought they were pretty popular, what would you guys recommend?

O this is kind of in left field, but when playing with the brakes is there a way to be able to independently apply brakes to each tire? It seems to me that partially braking tires could make up for the lack of limited slip diffs, or can you get limited slip diffs for deuces without too much hassle(my tires spin occasionally when I'm playing in the woods or mud)?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not exactly modifications but I went with brake system overhaul, spin on filters and front axle R&R with silicone boots.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why stay away from 14.5 on a duece?
New ones are great when run within their speed recommendations & air pressure.
They have a MPT style bead, so there isn't a good variety of tires for the rims.

The problem is, when they sit flat for a period of time, (a side effect of CTIS on a M35A3) it compromises the sidewalls. Then they are a blowout risk.
They can also become a blow out risk if they have been run fast at low air pressures.

Last edited:

Mikey90744

O this is kind of in left field, but when playing with the brakes is there a way to be able to independently apply brakes to each tire? It seems to me that partially braking tires could make up for the lack of limited slip diffs, or can you get limited slip diffs for deuces without too much hassle(my tires spin occasionally when I'm playing in the woods or mud)?

google "turning brakes" independent master cylinder per rear wheel, Used all the time on sand rails

blakeke

I don't have the CTIS off an A3, just the hubs, so hopefully the tires won't sit around flat much. And so far I've been to lazy to play with my tire air pressure, that sounds pretty laborious to me(and I haven't been getting stuck too much). I am tempted to put ARB locking diffs on the rear axles, and maybe a detroit locker on the front with the lockout hubs. That and buying a set of chains perhaps should get me good traction I would think. I'm still considering the .69 overdrive, that sounds like a good idea. If I had that I would need a pyrometer I expect so I could turn the fuel up a bit, does upping the fuel hurt mileage? Does the fan really eat 5-10 horsepower all the time while providing no benefit(maybe even keeping the engine too cool sometimes)? Some kind of coolant heat triggered clutch or electric fan would seem like a good idea, but I don't know how much stress that would put on the alternator... I'm not really aiming to go much faster, more fuel efficiency would be nice though.

blakeke

My brakes are in good working order, I'm pretty sure they will lock the wheels, my parking brake is strong. What other major safety issues are there? I guess I'd like a cage or something but that seems kind of expensive at this point.

houdel

The A3 version & some late model USAF A2's had a 'split brake system' your passenger car does also. The rest of the A2's have a single reservoir master cylinder that feeds all 6 wheel cylinders. a split system has a dual reservoir master cylinder, typically 1 for the front and 1 for the rears.
The military split brake system uses two air packs, one in the original location and one on the passenger side. IIRC, one air pack powers the front brakes and the other powers the rear brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks