• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what r deuce worth now (newbie)

marco

Hey I've been lurking here for about a week and I'm thinking of buying a MV 2.5 or 5 ton. What are they worth and are parts avilability cheap? Lately I've been throwing scrap cars and this looks like a cool tow vehicle u don't even need a CDL license!

The other day I saw 2 dueces that i was told have been sitting for 3-5 years, ran when parked under the sun . Both w/ winches, turbo diesel, one hard top one soft. I think you would call them kaisers because of the hood flaps. What would you offer him with out being to insulting?

What kind of price r they going for in the GL auction sites and how do you know if their crap or not? How much are m820 going for? Do you need a CDL for 5 tons?

Thanks Marco

dabtl

RE: what r duece worth now (newbie)

$1500 at GL seems a reasonable figure now. Perhaps a bit high.

They all need work. I got a w/w at Norman that needed some body work, some electrical work and such. I paid about $1200.

If you can drive it away from GL, you are doing OK. If not, bring a trailer.

A five ton in Texas will require a CDL. If you are interested in the one in San Antonio, call to make a visit and look it over. That looks like a fairly good truck from the pics. I have no idea what it will go for at auction.

There are a lot of what not to look for trucks in Pineville this month. Memphis will probably buy most of them.

marco

Ya it definately looks a lot better than the dueces down here. hmm, I wonder if their is anyway of turning it into a 2.5.. probably not.

Marco

SasquatchSanta

This doesn't give a definitive answer to you question but it isn't what you pay for a vehicle, It's what you have to spend on it to use it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: what r duece worth now (newbie)

marco said:
I think you would call them kaisers because of the hood flaps.
What are "hood flaps"? Whatever they are a don't think you can tell who made the truck by them. Only way to tell who made the truck is by the data plate, S/N, or maybe the reg. number.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: what r duece worth now (newbie)

It depends where you are. Trucks in the NE bring more money...probably more competition up this way.

wsucougarx

Definately depends on where you live and if someone is in love with the same truck you are bidding on. Also, another factor is how many trucks are offered during the auction time. The more the better, the few the worse.

marco

Re: what r duece worth now (newbie)

m16ty said:
What are "hood flaps"?

I mean't the panel that lift up on the side of the hood, but ya I get what u mean I read David Doyle's article Decoding your Deuce. It had the front end look of sasquathSanta's M35.

How much would you guys pay for the non runners I mention earlier?

Thanks Marco

Michael

It is hard to say without pictures or anything. The market has been flooded with good fresh out of service trucks that you can drive away. The ones I watch usually go for $1500 without winch and 2500 with winch, plus or minus $500. Five years ago you had to pay more at auction for trucks in worse condition. On the other hand, a winch kit sells for $1000, the front axles bring a good price, then scrap the rest for 700 to 1000 so they should be worth at least $2000 less transportation.

Does the soft top one still have a top? Once the cab is exposed to the elements, switches and such start going bad.

Don't forget, if you buy from GL you have to add in for all the extra fees, hassle, and transportation costs.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: what r duece worth now (newbie)

SasquatchSanta said:
This doesn't give a definitive answer to you question but it isn't what you pay for a vehicle, It's what you have to spend on it to use it.
Those are wise words, indeed. It is easy to trash commercial re-sellers for their "inflated" prices, compared to a truck fresh from the auction. But then, if you buy from a re-seller you can jump in and drive the truck home. Not a single dime more spent on getting it to run and perform.

At the auction, you can wager educated guesses, or inspect yourself if you are close enough. At the end of the day, it is "how lucky do you feel".

You get what you pay for. sometimes you have to pay for what you get.

marco

RE: Re: RE: what r duece worth now (newbie)

thanks for the reply I talk 2 the guy today and he told he wanted 2 grand for each but he said he might go lower. but at least they might be good for parts truck if i can lower the price.

thanks Marco

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Re: what r duece worth now (newbie)

BKubu said:
It depends where you are. Trucks in the NE bring more money...probably more competition up this way.
so true. we got murrays, memphis's pa shop, and eastern surplus all tryin to get every one. then you got a handfull of privateers like 2 friends of mine who will bid on every single truck that comes up :evil:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks