• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What replacement engine for 1988 M-1038 HMMWV?

Hi All,

What would be the best engine (diesel or a gasoline) to replace the original engine of a M1038 with minimum modifications? The current 6.2 liter motor is dead. It is not easy to find another HMMWV engine or its spare here in Italy. Please help!

tage

Most Chevrolet engines ( Ie. 350/LS/LSX) will bolt to the Th400. However since you're not in the U.S. It might be hard to find say anything Chevrolet sitting in a junk yard. Easiest option would to replace or rebuild. As long as you don't have a rod sticking out of the block, you should be able to get something done. Rock Auto will ship international as well.

As for swaps go, the 1980's Jaguar's V12 came with a th400 mounted behind it. I know a guy out in Texas that mounted a V12 to a corvette transmission, and put it in a Porsche... ha ha

It is easier to find a gasoline V8 engine for sale here than a diesel one. Would not mind an American gasoline V8 engine that would bolt to the Th400. Any suggestions?

DatGuyC

I'd think that switching to gas would be harder than finding another diesel. Not only would you have to find a 24v fuel pump, but then some way to mount it in the fuel tank. You also have to find a spark plug system that would work on 24v. If you find another mechanical diesel engine you can just plop it in there and be done with it, besides maybe custom exhaust and intake.

Bubba4635

I have a 1988 (M1038) HMMWV and the engine is a 6.5L detuned that probably has a crack head. First, I checked the oil and water was in the oil, it was running rough with a lot of white smoke. After changing the oil/filter the vehicle would not start and water was coming out the exhaust. Can anybody tell me where I can purchase an engine with warranty and the best cost or if its cost effective to try to repair the engine?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the heads on the engine you have. Just to make sure it's not a blown head gasket. You might be able to fixit for less than $100.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks