• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What should a MEP-002a / MEP-003a be worth?

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just won a AN/MJQ18 gen set. Both generators look good seems all the pieces are there. The trailer has top bows with the tarp folded up. Don't know what shape it's in yet. The generators are the mep003a and the trailer is a 1 1/2 ton . Final cost with fees and taxes, $1,684. Have to pick up next week, about 800 miles one way, I just told her it was a vacation [thumbzup]

bimota

The good, bad and ugly with the MEP-003: I ran a 3-phase 48 volt forklift charger off mine last fall, unit put out 100amps for an hour without tripping the breaker, smoked like a pig, but 100amps continuous at 208 volts is way, way more than 10kw, closer to 20kw. Breaker never went, that's the good news, the bad news is these beasts are heavy, loud, smoke a lot under heavy load and can't be automated (auto start or auto frequency). So an owner or buyer must realize that these are designed to be very heavy duty and very tough but also monitored, started and adjusted by someone around. For those of us wanting long term automatic units these don't work well. Better to buy a later model unit with a brain and auto controls. If you just want big power that you are willing to maintain in a stationary place then you won't be unhappy paying up to $3000 for a clean unit.

Buzz254

ALLCON:

I own a business. Have manufacturing capabilities (full service CNC machine shop, and multiple assets and national vendors).

Have played the GovLiquidation game before it was GL (Levy Latham)...have spent over $300K in the last 5 years with GL. I know the system pretty well.
I CAN complete with the Groban's and others that resell these on ebay...etc.

I am NOT looking to make major money here...but if there is a demand for generators and parts, I will start using my financial assets to...maybe start some sort of partnership with members of this site (to assist in the "distribution" of these great generators.

If this post steps on the toes of the moderators/site rules...I will retract.

I am only trying to help out the "membership" here...as I know these generators are the "bomb" for portable power on a jobsite...Period.

Cheers

bimota

Buzz254,

Please get these in bulk, install auto start and frequency control, load test and distribute around the country. That would be great, the members will happily pay you 5% above your costs for the support. Plus the country will receive the benefits of surplus put back into the service! Many current owners will swap out there current units to be returned for your special upgrade.

Bonus you won't have to "complete" with the Groban's and others that resell these on ebay...etc! Thank you for being a solid American!

ALLCON:

I own a business. Have manufacturing capabilities (full service CNC machine shop, and multiple assets and national vendors).

Have played the GovLiquidation game before it was GL (Levy Latham)...have spent over $300K in the last 5 years with GL. I know the system pretty well.
I CAN complete with the Groban's and others that resell these on ebay...etc.

I am NOT looking to make major money here...but if there is a demand for generators and parts, I will start using my financial assets to...maybe start some sort of partnership with members of this site (to assist in the "distribution" of these great generators.

If this post steps on the toes of the moderators/site rules...I will retract.

I am only trying to help out the "membership" here...as I know these generators are the "bomb" for portable power on a jobsite...Period.

Cheers

Isaac-1

Buzz254,

As you know there are already several people buying, refurbishing and reselling these generators online, plus it seems many more that sell through more traditional offline methods. Pricing is often the problem, I was looking at the web site for one online reseller of "refurbished" MEP-002a the other day and saw that their price was right at 10 times more than I paid for my MEP-002a from GL a few weeks ago. Sure mine had a few issues (bad transistor in the AVR and a couple of gauges that need to be replaced, plus maybe a problem with the fuel tank float), but even buying from the common surplus parts dealers at their prices these could easily be fixed for the $3000+ price difference.

The problem is when you look at it from a business venture standpoint that $3500 MEP-002a starts to make sense once you consider $400-$800 typical GL price, add another $200 -$250 freight (assuming multi unit freight discounts, truck freight is not cheap), a certain number of the units being devoted to parts units, labor time getting these running as many will have more serious issues than the one i bought, then leave a little room for profit. Cost of original style parts is likely a prime killer of this sort of venture, as certainly original style parts are both common failure items and prohibitively expensive to replace with new parts. For example the frequency transducer for the frequency gauge, a several hundred dollar part if you can find one most of the time, however by comparison made in china digital LED combination frequency/voltage gauges sell on ebay for $20 new. This of course leads to the thought of buying them, resell some in original style, and some retrofitted with digital meters, auto start, etc. which may be a practical option, and the right choice for some buyers.

Ike

robkiller

I have been looking for a good deal on a MEP-003a but man you guys are not kidding. It is hard to find them for a good price. What makes it even harder is i live in what seems to be one of the furthest places away from the gl auction locations. Any hints or guidance form the professionals that have been successful? I have expanded my watching to any diesel generator over 10kwa.

FYI I love this site thanks for all the information you guys share.

derf

Generally:
Diesel military gens larger than 10kW are thirsty.

Gasoline military gens are always thirsty.
Turbine military gens are ravenously thirsty.

Wet stacking may be a problem if you use a grossly over powered gen to drive a very small load for long periods of time. IMO, though, there is far more talk about wet stacking than there is actual wet stacking. I don't think the air cooled MEPs will wet stack at all.

To stay on topic with the OP it seems to me like at the time of the OP the range of surplus prices for 002s was $250-1000 and 003s were $500-1200, depending on condition. Now it seems like the 002s go for $750-1200 and the 003s go for $900-1800, depending on condition.

I've gotten several Diesel 3kW 016 variants in the last couple of years for around $250-300. The last batch of 016Ds at Ft. Polk went closer to $500 each.

Once recovered, serviced, repaired, and tested, in working condition the cost generally doubles, IMO, if the surplus as is sale price is reasonable.

Triple Jim

After a long period of researching generators to back up my whole house and shop, I decided I wanted an MEP-003A. I have too many projects now, and didn't want another one, so I chose to buy one in working condition from an eBay seller with 100% feedback who buys them, fixes them up, and resells them. I'm sure you can find a better deal by buying directly at auction and doing the repairs, but for $2400+shpg I got exactly what I wanted. At the seller's suggestion, I used uShip to find a trucking company with a good price. It turned out to be $330 to have the unit picked up with a lift-gate truck, wrapped in a blanket and stretch wrapped, strapped to a pallet, trucked about 500 miles, and delivered to me on a lift-gate truck. I'm sure the pallet wasn't necessary, but they did it.

I don't see one on eBay at the moment, but they do come up fairly regularly. Of course you're not guaranteed to get a perfect unit from eBay, but I talked to this seller on the phone about the generator ahead of time, got shipping advice, and the feeling he was sincere. He even suggested I do an Internet search for his name to find out more about him.

Just wondering, storeman, why do you say an MEP-003A is not suitable for backup power unless modified?

derf

In the real world $2730 for a Diesel gen set that will power the average home is a bargain.

SS member jbk (and others, I think) restore gens to perfect condition and sell them pretty cheap, IMO. If I wanted one in excellent cosmetic and running condition I would contact jbk and ask him to sell me one or find one for me and restore it. There may be someone closer to you. If not shipping is an option.

derf

Yes, I think it is possible to use the larger sets for residential power, but the size and consumption are greater than the smaller sets.

Triple Jim

Derf, if I had been more involved with this board before I got mine, and looking back I would have been wise to be, I would certainly have tried to see if I could get a generator from a board member as you suggested. My experience with other legit boards is that you won't find more stand-up guys than respected board members.

Munchies

With the power of the internet, reputation is everything. I try to bend over and do what I can to keep good word of mouth.
I even took back a 002A last week, because the guy ran into financial trouble. The worst part is just loading and unloading
:cookoo:

storeman

"Just wondering, storeman, why do you say an MEP-003A is not suitable for backup power unless modified?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe I said that. Please read again. He was talking about units larger than 10 kw.

"I have expanded my watching to any diesel generator over 10kwa".

I responded that larger units are not suitable without mods.

Jerry [thumbzup][thumbzup]

Last edited:

robkiller

Why do you want "over 10kwa"? Lots of power and fuel, and not really suitable for back up power unless modified.

Well i wont the mep-003a but i cant find one for a good price so i expanded to looking for a larger unit. at this point i am only see them for 1500-3k without shipping it across the US. That is one only reason i was expanding my search to include larger units.

robkiller

In the real world $2730 for a Diesel gen set that will power the average home is a bargain.

SS member jbk (and others, I think) restore gens to perfect condition and sell them pretty cheap, IMO. If I wanted one in excellent cosmetic and running condition I would contact jbk and ask him to sell me one or find one for me and restore it. There may be someone closer to you. If not shipping is an option.
can you end me a message with a few of these guys contacts? I would like to at least see what they have to offer.

derf

One is one post above yours with "One load tested MEP-002A ready to sell $1,600." in his sig line. Another is jbk.

Edit:
Oops, meant jbk.

Last edited:

robkiller

So i have to ask, when bidding on GL site what condition should i look for or does it really matter? It is hard to understand what the conditions really mean so i know its a gamble no matter what but do you guys really keep the reported condition in mind when bidding? If so what are you looking for?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks