• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What sized split rim does a 16.00 super fit?

cx65083

Ive been told by a local scrap yard "expert" that a 16.00 super fit's on a standard 10" split rim. Can anybody confirm or deny this for me? I was under the impression they fit on wider rims? Can anybody point me in the direction of inter tubes for a 16.00 as well? I'm having a hard time finding them.
Thank you in advance for any help provided.

zxmedic

Check out the vendor section or classified adds here , it's where I bought my rims and a few tires from , from the great help I got on steelsoldiers I believe you need Hemtt rims for 1600x20 will give you the proper offset .as for tubes any truck tire shop should be able to get them

Last edited:

cx65083

I've got split rims on it now! Bought it that way from the Veterans Museum in Oshkosh, WI. I have a combat rim for my spare, but the offset is WAY off to use on my truck. (an older M813a1) I had been told my rims were 14" wide...but I have yet to find any. Been looking for months now. That's why I started a new post asking for help. I've called to many vendors. No one seems to know what I'm talking about. I was hoping an expert here would at least know about them.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HEMTT and HET rims are 10" wide and they use 16.00R20 tires. They "look" like they're too narrow for the tire, but its the OEM part for it.

DrillerSurplus

Here is a chart from Goodyear showing the 10" wheel width specd for the 16.00R20

Ive been told by a local scrap yard "expert" that a 16.00 super fit's on a standard 10" split rim. Can anybody confirm or deny this for me? I was under the impression they fit on wider rims? Can anybody point me in the direction of inter tubes for a 16.00 as well? I'm having a hard time finding them.
Thank you in advance for any help provided.
View attachment 1 Goodyear Military Super Single Tires.pdf

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Proper terminology may help you.

DrillerSurplus

When you say split rim, what comes to mind for me is the old style locking ring wheel that isn't used much anymore. There were a lot of serious accidents. Maybe you can post some pictures of your wheels.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?96857-Split-Rim-Safety here is link to the full tire safety video mentioned in post TIRE SAFETY VIDEO

Split rim1.jpg

Seems like most people call the wheels used now on bigger MV "2 piece wheels". This thread has a good discussion and drawings of several types. Combat-wheels-FMTV-wheels-HEMTT-wheels
HEMTT wheel.jpgHEMTT wheel partial.jpg

Also, I'm not up to speed on details but there has been a lot of discussion about making sure the style of bead on the tire matches the wheel-MPT vs non-MPT.

Originally Posted by gringeltaube http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?105195-m35a3-rims-and-tires-fit-on-m135/page4
... BUT: NEVER do it the other way around: like mounting/ running 12.5R20 or 14.5R20 (MPT)tires on the Canadian 20x8" wheels for example, or recentered FMTV, MRAP, HEMTT, 5ton combats, etc, all of which are industrial NON-MPT wheels. Doing so IS DANGEROUS!! Absolutely a NO-NO!!...

I'm not familiar with the M813, but one other thing to consider- Is the larger tire going to rub anywhere up front on tight turns? if so, maybe you need a spacer or a wheel with different offset to move tires away from frame.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...g-out-front-5-ton-two-piece-wheels-for-1600-s

Problems with tube type tires if lowering air pressure

This site has been great for helping me move along the learning curve, and there is a lot to learn!

I've got split rims on it now! Bought it that way from the Veterans Museum in Oshkosh, WI. I have a combat rim for my spare, but the offset is WAY off to use on my truck. (an older M813a1) I had been told my rims were 14" wide...but I have yet to find any. Been looking for months now. That's why I started a new post asking for help. I've called to many vendors. No one seems to know what I'm talking about. I was hoping an expert here would at least know about them.

cx65083

These are the rims on the truck now. 3 piece with the split ring. I have worked on them in the past and know the safety aspect. I would never try to mess with the ring while there was ANY air pressure in the tire or without chains. Thank you for the links. Good refreshers!
All I need is ONE more of these to use as a spare... I found the rubber ring that goes inside the rim and found a lead on tubes. (Thanks zxmedic!) Just need the rim now.

Attachments

DrillerSurplus

All I need is ONE more of these to use as a spare... I found the rubber ring that goes inside the rim and found a lead on tubes. (Thanks zxmedic!) Just need the rim now.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some sell pretty recently-maybe a month ago- on GL with tires mounted on them - the photos weren't really clear, but I remember being surprised they were selling the old split ring rims. You might keep an eye out

cx65083

So, I guess the proper terminology would be a 3 piece (with split ring) 10x20 rim. NOT a budd style rim though! These have a different off set. My only other option would be to find 7 Hemmnt rims. $$$$$$ :-(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do have a "Budd" style rim. That refers to the fact that it is mounted on studs and is centered by the lug nut taper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks