• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What texts were used for advanced training of radio men (comms school)?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm assuming that those who chose a communications MOS and went on to an advanced course after basic would have had a unique curriculum. Were they taught with the TMs and FMs that we all know or were there other internal texts that were not released?

I'm just wondering if there's a 2" thick text book that I've never heard of. Granted, I've only just scratched the surface of radio TMs so I'm a bit ignorant. I suppose if all the little TMs were stacked up it would be several inches thick.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There would have been a number of different books. Look for the IPD (Individual Professional Development) series on communications, a part of the Army Correspondence Course Program. For instance, "Introduction to Electronic Warfare", subcourse SS0010, edition ? (mine is from the 1980's, there should be more recent ones in use). In the annex there is a reference list of Army Regulations, Field Manuals, Training Circulars and DA Pamphlets. The school code for Signal is/was 113. Every different radio will have it's own set of books (as well as the same 'radio' mounted in different vehicles). If you want a copy of all the Distribution Code A Communications documents, you better own several 53 foot trailers to haul them around with!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats sounds like a lot of material - thanks for the details. I've been circling the rabbit hole of communications & radio gear for awhile now, but I'm not sure i have the time to completely jump in. When I do, I'll look into these texts a lot more thoroughly.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On active duty I was a supply clerk in a signal detachment. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I cross trained with the radio tech's. Most of them went to AIT (Advanced Individual Training for the civvies) for a year or longer before they 'graduated' to a line unit. My radio training was a LOT LESS STRINGENT, but it was enough to pass the HAM Technician exam without ever studying for it. My National Guard service was mainly NBC related - gas masks and MOPP suits, but I was backup on the SB-22.