• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What texts were used for advanced training of radio men (comms school)?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm assuming that those who chose a communications MOS and went on to an advanced course after basic would have had a unique curriculum. Were they taught with the TMs and FMs that we all know or were there other internal texts that were not released?

I'm just wondering if there's a 2" thick text book that I've never heard of. Granted, I've only just scratched the surface of radio TMs so I'm a bit ignorant. I suppose if all the little TMs were stacked up it would be several inches thick.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There would have been a number of different books. Look for the IPD (Individual Professional Development) series on communications, a part of the Army Correspondence Course Program. For instance, "Introduction to Electronic Warfare", subcourse SS0010, edition ? (mine is from the 1980's, there should be more recent ones in use). In the annex there is a reference list of Army Regulations, Field Manuals, Training Circulars and DA Pamphlets. The school code for Signal is/was 113. Every different radio will have it's own set of books (as well as the same 'radio' mounted in different vehicles). If you want a copy of all the Distribution Code A Communications documents, you better own several 53 foot trailers to haul them around with!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats sounds like a lot of material - thanks for the details. I've been circling the rabbit hole of communications & radio gear for awhile now, but I'm not sure i have the time to completely jump in. When I do, I'll look into these texts a lot more thoroughly.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On active duty I was a supply clerk in a signal detachment. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I cross trained with the radio tech's. Most of them went to AIT (Advanced Individual Training for the civvies) for a year or longer before they 'graduated' to a line unit. My radio training was a LOT LESS STRINGENT, but it was enough to pass the HAM Technician exam without ever studying for it. My National Guard service was mainly NBC related - gas masks and MOPP suits, but I was backup on the SB-22.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks