• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What the M101 was designed to do.

KsM715

There has been alot of controversy this past year about whether the M101 series of trailers is designed to dump or not. (GL is not helping out with advertising these as dump trailers). Can you dump with these trailers? Yes. Will they eventually break from to much dumping? Yes. ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/847746-post16.html )

I've never seen any pictures online of what the hinge feature on the M101 was dsigned for. In one of the threads one of our SS members found a drawing of loading M101 trailers on rail cars. That drawing showes you can get the trailers loaded with 7'1" axle to axle spacing. With an a1 or a3 that would be possible. With an A2 I dont believe that is possible because the surge brake assy. stands about 16"-17" more or less to the top and the axle clearance is only about 14"

I was bored today and the brakes needed to be bled on my trailer anyway so I decided to undo the brake line and take out the bolts just to see what it looks like and see how difficult it is. It's not hard at all. You need a 3/8"s and 7/16" flare wrenches for the brake line, two (2) 15/16" wrenches/sockets for the bolts/nuts under the box near the front of the springs and some 3/4" wrenches to loosen the bolts (hinge point) at the front of the box. You will also need to take the wiring harness loose under the front od the bed so it does not get stretched and damaged.

Is this helpfull to anyone here? Probably not, unless your trying to load 2 or more M101's on a short car hauler type trailer and keep your overall height down. Even then these trailers are light enough to just raise the tongue and stack one trailer over the other.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But, how does the material in the bed, "dump" out like that?

Darwin T

But, how does the material in the bed, "dump" out like that?
over the front. :grin:

really though how hard was it to stand the tongue up like that and how hard was it to put the tongue back in place? with the tongue flat on the ground how do you lift it back into place? inquiring minds want to know. :drool:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering the trailers role (cargo) in the military, I highly doubt that there was ever any intention for it to dump. I just don't see any contingent of the military using such a small trailer to haul loose material unlless they were bedding a flower garden for some General in theater.

KsM715

over the front. :grin:

really though how hard was it to stand the tongue up like that and how hard was it to put the tongue back in place? with the tongue flat on the ground how do you lift it back into place? inquiring minds want to know. :drool:

Actually, when I was removing the bolts I put a jack-stand under the front corner of the bed because I didn't know what it was going to do. With the bolts removed it didnt do anything. Once I went to lift the tongue to fold up the landing leg, thats when it started to pivot. So I let it rest on the jack-stand and put the landing leg up, then grabbed the front of the bed and lifted and kicked out the stand and laid the trailer down. After I took the pic with it laid on the ground I picked up the front by the front of the bed and lifted it high enough for me to kick the tongue up high enough for the back edges to catch on the ground then just lifted and kicked it till I got it out far enough for the master cylinder to hit the front "panel". With the front panel off the trailer the legs would be able to stand up a little bit straighter. This might be one way to store the trailer in doors in the corner of a shop and not have the tongue stick out taking up some valuable floor space.

M813A1

Now if you took the front body bolts out and left the under body bolts it would tip like a Dump trailer !! But the trailer was designed to be a cargo trailer and not a dump trailer and the underbody mount were not made to be a pivot point to use the trailer as a dump trailer !!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailers are designed for the tongue to hinge but it's not to dump. They are designed to unbolt the rear of the tongue, fold the tongue up, and use the back of the tongue for a stand. You can transport several more trailer on a load doing this. As you said, I wonder if they didn't do away with this practice when the A2 came along. I just can't see them disconnecting the brake line, transporting them, and then reconnecting the line and bleeding the brakes.

They do seem to hold up ok using them as a dump if you don't try and dump too much weight. Even dumped there is still some shoveling required as the don't dump steep enough for all the material to slide out and there is no clearance from the back of the bed to the ground when dumped.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailers are designed for the tongue to hinge but it's not to dump. They are designed to unbolt the rear of the tongue, fold the tongue up, and use the back of the tongue for a stand. You can transport several more trailer on a load doing this. As you said, I wonder if they didn't do away with this practice when the A2 came along. I just can't see them disconnecting the brake line, transporting them, and then reconnecting the line and bleeding the brakes.

They do seem to hold up ok using them as a dump if you don't try and dump too much weight. Even dumped there is still some shoveling required as the don't dump steep enough for all the material to slide out and there is no clearance from the back of the bed to the ground when dumped.
Exactly! The data plate af an M101A1 shows the towbar down and folded up for transport in this exact manner.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Q. How do you put Humpty Dumpty back together again?

A. Many of us approach such problems as the One-Man-Motorpool that we are. We must not forget that the REAL ARMY is mass of MANY soldiers and that they are simply TOOLS of the WAR MACHINE.
The simple, field expeditious way to get the M101's tongue properly reconnected is by "Brute Strength" and "Power in Numbers". All you need is a few (4-6) 18-year-old, 120-pound G.I.'s to lift the front end of the trailer while one of them crawls under to install the bolts. OR, put the kids on the tailgate and use them as a counter-weight. Either way, Wham-Bam-Thanky-Ma'am and the job is DONE, DUDE!

It's not rocket science if you have a TEAM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks