• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to check on a Pinz?

citizensoldier

Hey guys.. Another couple questions I have .. Is the wheel/bolt pattern the same as a Iltis vehicle? Are those 16 inch rims on the Pinz ? I have some Canadian M101 1/4 ton trailers that are the same as the Iltis. Brand new set of 7.50/16's Michelin XL's on them. Sure would be nice if they would fit the Pinz.. Iltis is made by Bombardie but was originaly a VW desighn.. Soooo they are 5 lug 16 inch rims..

devilman96

Cant tell ya for sure Lane but I do know with a LOT of looking myself and a few others have never found another source for rim that would fit. Chuck and I were in the conversation of having center plates made to fit Hummer wheels and changing his over to 16.5's as the stock wheels are EXPENSIVE!

To add to the fun they are centered on the lugs which means that just cause a bolt pattern is the same doesn't mean the wheel will work on the truck.

Pinz25086

The only wheel that I have heard that fits a Pinz is from a FT300 (Ford delivery van only in Europe) between the years of 2000 and 2004. Ford does not have this wheel available on this side of the pond (I have tried). I have the bolt pattern measurements some where but I can not locate it at the moment. There are aftermarket wheels available but they are usually 17 inch. Scott at EI has had some very nice aluminum wheels made but they are chrome. Not very MV looking. Many of the wheel companys will widen stock wheels if the need arises but 34 x 10.50 x 16 LTB's are fantastic and fit on the factory rim. Lane, why not just change the rubber over to the pinz wheel?

Pinz25086

RE: picture of trailer rim and hub

No. Those are hub piloted and a Pinz wheel is stud piloted. The center hole on a pinz rim may or may not be in the center of the rim. To balance a wheel you must mount the wheel to an adapter. The wheel is centered by the cone shaped lug nuts. Are the wheels on your trailer a different than a US trailer? My 1941 MBT is the same pattern as a jeep. I would like to find another small trailer for sale near me. The Willys is just to nice to take out in the woods.

citizensoldier

RE: picture of trailer rim and hub

No they are not the same as any of the US version trailers.. M100,M416,and so on.. I was just wondering because both types of vehicles have VW herritage.. So I assume all the others are different too. Unimog,Land Rover,Volvo, and so on? Wish they would make things a little more universal, but oh well..
I will probably just switch the rubber when the time comes.. I just have a full set of 4 mounted and balanced on Iltis rims ready to go. They are tall and skinny so they would work great in the snow up here. Just doing some checking on what works on these little beasts..
Regardles my little Canadian trailers will look nice behind one.. I will just make a spare tire carrier for the trailer..Thanks

6x6pinz

Very glad to hear the pinz did its jopb and protected the operator again.

I think I would just by another and keep it for spare parts. The reason I have a 710 is for the parts. I do drive the 710 daily and have not needed any of the major parts for my 712. I also use the 710 to prototype add ons for the Pinzgauers. To date we have come up with a decent oil pan/tranny skid plate, a receiver hitch, a beefy rear step, a very nice front bumper that has already been crash tested and of course the side rails which have been proven time and again on the trails. Currently working on a good battery box/tool box guard and fuel tank guard for those who don't use the armoured tank.

Goatwerks

Believe it or not, that Pinz is totally repairable. SAV has the body parts (some nos, some used), for very reasonable prices. The windshild frame is the most expensive part, but they are usually repairable.
I have fixed one that rolled with my trailer last yearthat was in similar condition, around $2500 in parts.
Good luck on the repairs, I found a come-along and a porta power will put everything back into position.

6x6pinz

It actually looks pretty good in the pics. I don't think it will take too much work to get it going again. Might be a nice time to consider a custom bed/camper.

Boelt63A

I took it down to Devilman yesterday and we debated it until the sun went down.

I am starting to think about a 712, and whether or not it would be worthwhile to start looking at them. :roll:

I started today with the sawzall and took the rollbar off. I will likely get a new windshield frame and see how it does. The problem is that the body did get racked pretty good during the wreck. My biggest concern right now is the steering box. We are worried tht it might have gotten tweaked a bit.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. :driver:

Chuck
(Flipper)

6x6pinz

The steering box and arms are pretty tough. Recently rebuilt mine to stop leak. I found the shaft going to the pitman are was bent so bad I had to cut it to get it out. A couple of the dealers have used steering boxes for sale and with a couple of inexpensive seals would be fine. If you have the complete set of manuals there should be a blueprint of the truck in the back. If you don't have a set of blueprints and want a set let me know and I can get it copied This would be very helpful in determining the damage and how much actually got tweaked.
I got my 712 first and love it offroad but my 710 is sure a lot of fun around town and on the lite trails. Of course the 710 would make a real nice parts truck for a 712, just depends on what you like to do with the truck.

krick3tt

getting a pinz

I have had my pinz for almost 4 years. Prior to that a 404 Unimog. If the maintenance is kept up, oil changes and fluids topped off the rest is simple mechanics. Mine is after all, a 1973 vehicle and just like anything that old it will need care. That being said, they are great off road, depending on the driver. If stearing is an issue, power stearing can be added. Mine weighs in at about 4300 lb, stripped. They are available on Ebay and through dealers, although I would stick with a dealer unless you have knowledge of what to get. I have dealt with SAV (Swiss Army Vehicles) for parts. They are east coast. I purchased the pinz from Expedition Imports, west coast, in Valeijo, CA. Both are good people to deal with. Both sell the parts and the vehicles, check their websites.
Yes, there are many times that I have had to add time to a trip to answer questions, but do you know anyone that has vehicles like these that doesn't want to talk about it with anyone? We love our trucks and although they don't have the long history of the American Iron, they are really fun to own. Didn't start making the Pinzgauers until 1971 or so, so no big wars to have braging rights about.
I think it is really great that your wife wants one, she must be a great lady.

Happy trails, Morris
1973 710M Pinzgauer and M416 trailer

undysworld

Citizen, Your wife will love a Pinz. My wife even likes driving ours on medium rough trails.

I've had a 712 (6x6) for over 7 years with very few breakdowns, especially given the workout I've given it. They were designed to be fixed by 19 year old draftees: most repairs can be done on the trail with the tool kit it comes with. It is an extremely reliable vehicle. But it is 32 years old, so it needs more adjustments than a modern vehicle: carbs, valves, brakes. And like all of us old farts, it breaks down occasionally.

Parts are very available, though admitedly pricier than for, say, a current Chevy. The axle boots are also available as a split-boot, which does not require removal of a wheel unit. But the wheel units come off pretty easily, it's only a couple hour job.

Most Pinzes stateside have had the points replaced with a Pertronix ignition. The fuel injected systems seem to add 2-3K to the cost, but reportedly they are nice. This might be a bigger issue if you've got emissions testing. But if the carbs are working well, they work very well indeed.

The air-cooled engine is very reliable. Some people have had dirt build up around the head fins, which causes overheating damage. This seems caused by driving through deep mud or possible oil leaks around the engine collecting dust/dirt. Probably, the air-cooled design solves more problems than it causes.

I agree that body work is tough, but not necessarily impossible. You just need to be a metalworker.

I'd suggest staying with a 710 model (4x4) because it's cheaper (only 4 tires, brakes, etc. as opposed to 6!), faster (100 k/h vs. 88 k/h rated speeds), and cuter (according to my wife). Paint it yellow and it's a chick-magnet.

You might also check out a dealer in Wisconsin: http://www.staufferclassics.com/ George is a friend/neighbor, and a truly honest guy. I don't know how many Pinzes he's got right now, but probably a few. There's also a handful of other people's trucks around if you want to test drive several (a good idea). We're all near Madison.

Chuck: did you see the orange Jeep-thing the guy has posted on Real4x4s and built on a rolled 710 chassis? It looked pretty neat.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks