• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do first??

KSCoolgpa27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

New to the forum. Just purchased my first HMMWV. It is a 1989 1097A2. Working through all the paperwork. I did buy it on govplanet.com.:unsure:
I have heavy equipment trailer experience, so I am going move the unit myself. It's only 20 miles away from me anyway.
My question is: Maintenance required before moving
I have began reading the TM's. The unit only has 3K miles on it. I don't know how long it has been sitting. Don't know it's service history. Suggestions prior to starting the unit up? I do know that I have to replace the batteries as the auction stated that it had to be jumped to get it started. Looking forward to learning as much as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_1665.JPG

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what to tell you. That has to be the cleanest HMMWV I have ever seen on GP. You won't know what it needs until you get it home. Looks like it's fresh out of a rebuild, so it may not need anything other than batteries. And if they are AGMs, you might be able to recover those too.

KSCoolgpa27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first saw the picture, I thought the same thing that it look like a fresh rebuild. I mean even down to the paint as well as the tires. I’m going to use a winch to get it up onto a trailer and then when I get back to the shop, I will start in on checking things, suggestions on where to start checking things? Or is there a section in the TMs that I can start with as far as working through a maintenance checklist?

KSCoolgpa27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is exactly what I did. Printed out the checklist and worked my way down the forms. I really lucked out on this purchase. This is an amazing work of engineering. Love the simplicity, and the "toughness". Awesome machine.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drain all fluids.... Start fresh .. Good Batteries is a must !! Start it, run it, check for leaks, oil pressure, temp, fan engaging around 210.. Hit the road...Slowly ... And Have some Fun !!!!!

Fellow 1989 owner,,,56xxx
Late 1988 maybe early 1989 😂

KSCoolgpa27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all!! Very Important details!! Reviews in process. Ok check this out. Rebuilt 8/13. Working my way through the MWO’s that were applied at that time.

Attachments

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More photos...shes a beaut for that age... Delivery date matches year of manufacture... but not the variant.. 1097 not minted till around 1991... Wierd

but thats a shiny new data plate... Looks like Gov Planet might be falsifying information 😂

Actually you may be able to recoup a bunch of money from them as they missrepresented the vehicle,, Id maybe start with the drivew shafts, see if they are 10k or 7k.. Others can chime in on other specs that would differentciate m998 from a 1097A2... id be interested in differences and see if you have them.. 998 pre 1991...1097 post 1991.. just curious now

Another thought... could this have been refurbed to a 1097A2 when they did the reset ?? I have no idea.....

Last edited:

KSCoolgpa27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More photos...shes a beaut for that age... Delivery date matches year of manufacture... but not the variant.. 1097 not minted till around 1991... Wierd

but thats a shiny new data plate... Looks like Gov Planet might be falsifying information 😂

Actually you may be able to recoup a bunch of money from them as they missrepresented the vehicle,, Id maybe start with the drivew shafts, see if they are 10k or 7k.. Others can chime in on other specs that would differentciate m998 from a 1097A2... id be interested in differences and see if you have them.. 998 pre 1991...1097 post 1991.. just curious now

Another thought... could this have been refurbed to a 1097A2 when they did the reset ?? I have no idea.....
That is what I am wondering?? I have started to try and look up the MWO’s that are listed on the “rebuild” plate. Wondering if some of those that were part of the mystery? I do know that the vehicle came with a very old and falling apart cover. I believe that is why the unit appears to be in such good shape. It appears that it has been parked since the rebuild. EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything (including the batteries and underbody, and soft top) are clean and appear “new”. Certainly not complaining, but any idea where I can find out what each maintenance work order includes? Will post more pics when I can “resize” them.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious, did you have to fill out an EUC application? some of the trucks on GP are sold by individuals not the government.
Actually at this point it looks like GP sold a 1989 M1097A2.
Does it have a 4 speed? (EDIT would have park)

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the photos it looks like a straight up M1097A2, 4 speed, driver heater duct etc.
I have no idea how those data plates got onto that truck, the first two MWOs were only done to basic trucks as all others had those mods from the factory.
I would not be too concerned at this point as nobody in the civy world is likely to have access to the year/serial number reference,
That is an odd one for sure.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Things like this can happen, easy. I about went out of my mind, doing an inventory for a unit. Three trailers had serial numbers, that did not exist. TACOM looked and looked. At last, we just changed the numbers in the paperwork and TACOM changed the data base. About a year later, when the CWO came back from down range, he told me that the trailers were stolen on the previous deployment, and him and the Motor Daddy simply made the numbers up.

jward1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like it identifies as a A2... regardless of what it was born with haha anyway really nice truck

KSCoolgpa27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious, did you have to fill out an EUC application? some of the trucks on GP are sold by individuals not the government.
Actually at this point it looks like GP sold a 1989 M1097A2.
Does it have a 4 speed? (EDIT would have park)
Yes, it has a Park, as well as over-drive. I did have to fill out an EUC form. Had to wait 3 weeks for processing. I did order a "title". I live in Kansas, it will help big time to have a title. Went to the local DMV (know the manager) they told me a title would be much better than the SF-97. With the way it looks (the HMMWV), shouldn't have any issues with a tag. Any idea where I can read about the MWO's that were installed during the rebuild? I have started trying to working through the TM section, but I am trying to find the MWO's (struggling) need to spend more time reading.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it has a Park, as well as over-drive. I did have to fill out an EUC form. Had to wait 3 weeks for processing. I did order a "title". I live in Kansas, it will help big time to have a title. Went to the local DMV (know the manager) they told me a title would be much better than the SF-97. With the way it looks (the HMMWV), shouldn't have any issues with a tag. Any idea where I can read about the MWO's that were installed during the rebuild? I have started trying to working through the TM section, but I am trying to find the MWO's (struggling) need to spend more time reading.
I posted a link to the TMs in post #13 above, the MWO TMs are there, as I said the first two I am pretty sure were never applied to the A2 as those mods were incorporated in the build process long before the A2 or even the A1 came along so it looks like the data plates actually mean nothing as they were not applied to your vehicle, but the TMs are there to read.

Last edited:

KSCoolgpa27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first link in the TM sticky lists many of the MWOs.
Thank you for the link!!! Just what I needed. You are Awesome! Obviously I was looking in the wrong place. According to the Data plate. The unit was overhauled at ME RSMS on 8/13. At the same time the following MWO were applied to the unit.
1. 9-2320-280-20-1 (install of latest power steering upgrades)
2. 9-2320-280-20-4 (upgrade of steering column)
3. 9-2320-280-20-6 (airlift bumper upgrade)
4. 9-2320-280-35-2 ( 3 point seat belt install )

What I can't understand is why would the unit be converted to M1097A2? Obviously I don't mind. Once I get all the maintenance issues addressed, I am planning on "another" restoration. Repaint the area's that need it, try and keep the unit as original as possible. Looking forward to the adventure. Based on your bio, you definitely have an abundance of experience with these types of vehicles. Looking forward to extensive correspondance in the future.
IMG_1850.jpgIMG_1852.jpgIMG_1861.jpgIMG_1862.jpgIMG_1854.jpgIMG_1853.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks