• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do with damaged LDT 465

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I replaced it with an LDS in 2017 I have the old "lump" taking up space in various locations around the garage . I built a new storage shed and had the great idea of moving the 1600 lbs monster into that yesterday.
Great idea. In case you are wondering, an engine hoist will crush a shed floor. Just saying. I currently have the LDT suspended on the immobile engine hoist inside a shed, can't get it tinto the corner it needs to go into, am aching all over from hours of struggling with the thing, loding and unloading it from the trailer.
When I reached the point where I was going to drop the engine onto the floor and drag it back out with a chain I stopped and thought perhaps I need to re-evaluate this.

The engine has many good parts (IP, new HH, injection lines, compressor, water pump etc.) so I originally kept it around for spares.

Maybe rebuild it. It has unspecified internal damage, maybe a hole in a piston . I never opened it up to verify. Rebuilding is currently not really worth the material and effort.

Ok, so what do I do? Pull off what I think I need and scrap the rest? Finish the struggle and put it to rest in the shed?
Give it away?

PoppaSmurph

I think you should put up a bit of STURDY shelving, set the engine on a wooden brace on the floor under your lift...then start taking the top and side pieces off. Clean them as you go and find out how much is usable and tag and bag 'em. When you get to the point of pistons lift here back up, pull'em and bingo all done, maybe a weekend of quiet time with some tools!!! Now you will know what you have and be able to sell off anything you don't want/need and feel good about it!

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was me, I'd gather up some scrap wood to lay down on the floor to reinforce it, reset the engine hoist, and continue with the original plan.

But then again, I tend to collect (hoard?) parts, so maybe PoppaSmurph has the better idea...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the moral support. I have the lump stored away now. BFH, scrap wood and another two hours of coaxing the thing to its final resting place. There are times where I so wish I had a huge shop, with a smooth concrete floor and tons of space.

On second thought, I should have placed the motor there first, then built the shed around it! Live and learn.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My spare motor is still in the bottom part of the engine crate. I bought a used pallet jack just for it - figured I can always resell the jack and get what I paid for it. My long term plans always consisted of taking parts off it as I needed it. If I needed the space back, I would disassemble it and store it as parts.
I originally, planned on building a 220 sq/ft shop around the motor. It's currently sitting on the slab that I poured just for this purpose. Now, things have changed and it's just sitting there. The rest of the pile is some cedar siding I was also gonna use on said shop...

Attachments

Maverick1701

I vote tear it apart and learn about all the internals as you go. then keep what you want, sell what you want, and scrap anything damaged.

fleetmech

Would any of the guys in this thread with spare engines hanging around be willing to tear into a water pump? I was reading that other thread that got bumped up and it doesn't look like anyone knows how rebuildable they are/ what bearings and seals are in there...? The price of them is going up while availability dwindles, it would be nice additional knowledge for all of us.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the moral support. I have the lump stored away now. BFH, scrap wood and another two hours of coaxing the thing to its final resting place. There are times where I so wish I had a huge shop, with a smooth concrete floor and tons of space.

On second thought, I should have placed the motor there first, then built the shed around it! Live and learn.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Tear it down, keep all the good parts and scrap the rest. Even if you don't need some of the good parts hang on to them, down the road someone else might need them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks