• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what to do with this winch??

bugwugger

Picked up a truck, purchase also included this winch. Its a Garwood 40,000 pound winch, powered by a 1948 90 Hp GM6cylinder. Has 500ft of 1 in. cable. Also fabd to 12in I beam for easy mobility. Kinda looks like a large sled. 4 speed transmission and power brake. Runs great and seems to weigh about 6000lbs. Gotta hit up the weight scale. Its hooked to the frame in the back of the duece with chains and 2in bolts :/ This "thing" pulled the duece in first gear at idle. I need it gone out of my truck, its taking up space that I need to haul things with. Would anyone be interested in this thing?? Or should I let it sit on the ground? Gimme some ideas!

MODEL # 5MBLHSTD
SERIAL# A344068

1948 Gm motor
FEA180097

Attachments

Last edited:

bugwugger

(nk14zp) i did research on the info plate, came up with flathead straight 6 210 hp.
I have not paid my dues to SS so I cant post right now. Didnt know if it would be a waist of time or not. I remember talking to a fella at Haspin 2011 about some tanks, cant remember his name. Figured someone with some serious machinery or (Tanks) could use this thing. I personally thought it would be a great idea for pulling cut trees out of the woods. Currently I only own 1 MV and it has this in the back so I cant haul much. Now if I had a nice 24ft trailor I could hoist full trees onto trailer via winch and cut them back at base camp :/ hmm

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recognize the fella near the pickup truck!

Looks like a Chevy engine and SM420 trans.

bugwugger

Update: Sorry this is a 45,000 lbs. Acording to model #. I would be willing to post this for you guys on classified. Im located in Cincinnati and this runs great. Wish I could track down the year this was built . Seems to be very unique, has snatch blocks attached to the front of the i beam area. Guessing this was used at a sled too.

Look at the bottom under the drum

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM = General Motors

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
That isn't a sm465 trans. I would say its an earlier model of the 465, because the trans is to small and the top is to short, possibly a 420more then likely judging by the age of the engine.

bugwugger

it reminds me of the flathead 6 or a inline 6 toyota motor. But the numbers checkout to be a 216ci gm. but its a 1948 motor with single carb. I cant believe for its age how well it runs. I had to fill up the gas tank which is located directly under the seat. Blew out the fuel lines and she started right up. This motor would be a great replacement for older cars that came factory with this motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks