• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to expect-buying a deuce-moving cross country

KaiserM109

Cross Country in a Deuce

SQUIRL,
We've been having a very, very similar discussion on this forum and I've gotten a lot of good advice and info:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....opic&t=13597&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I found this posting by looking up guys in Colorado. I'm in the Denver area, where are you moving to and when?
I'm probably going to drive a deuce (M109 shop van in my avatar) from Ft. Riley to Denver. What will your route be? As they say, misery loves company, maybe we can do part of it together.

JRBAMATEX

Ummm... Man I love my deuce and I have great confidence in it. However, I don't know about putting all my worldly possessions in the back of a canvas covered unsecured truck that I know little about and hauling it across the country for a week. If there is a problem your stuff might all be on the side of the road by itself and unlocked for a while. Also if you stay at a hotel at night along the way the stuff will be out there kind of in the open. I’d say rent the Ryder make the trip in an air conditioned comfortable truck that will fly compared to the deuce and have a safe and comfortable move. Then start shopping for your new deuce when you get there. You might be able to save a few bucks by taking your time and watching the auctions and then when you recover your truck it will just be the truck and not all your stuff stuck out there on I70 in nowhere Kansas.

Good luck and welcome.

madsam

Is a deuce the best way to move?

Is a deuce the best way to move? You could get a duce out in Colorado. I know there are some running ones coming up at Fort Carson on govliquidation. This might be cheaper than a dealer.

I do like the idea of buying rather than renting. When I moved back to Colorado from Michigan, I found a beat up old rusty GMC 16ft cargo van for $400. Had to fix the radiator, and put on 2 tie rods before the trip, but I had all of 450 in it. (I figured even if it broke down half way, I still saved money because the rental was 2200 and half the distance would be 1100. ) I would have Just rented a rider where ever it broke down and sent it to the junk yard. Sort of look at it as a disposable truck. Its average speed was about 65 full. It goes ok empty. Gas millage was crappy tough. about 11 most of the way.

Well, it made it just fine. It had a GVRW of 12000lbs and I had it up to 11800. I did take a trip to New Mexico to get some junk at my moms .. Right now it is a storage device in the back.

Years ago, I got an old school bus. That worked for 3 moves, and 10 years of storage. I just gave that away last year. (Although it would not have beat the speed of a duce. 55 tops)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks