• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to expect to pay for "super single" tires

sp00n

Hello, I'm about to purchase my very first M35A2 as soon as I find one in the shape I want not on the other side of the country. After getting any basic maintenance necessary completed I really want to single it out (note; not bob, retaining all 3 axles). I have gathered that for a factory troop config A2 46" (395?) tires are the max. I have heard a lot about Goodyear XML tires being good in mud (what I need) and being easily available, but have yet to see anyone post any form of a ballpark price, or where they are available from. I have no intention of lifting or bobbing my deuce and have read that factory rims are usable, so unless the tires I end up with come with rims would probably use the factory setup with flipped hubs.

Being more or less totally ignorant to any milsurp items outside of the firearms community I don't want to get shanghai'd. I understand its not polite to ask "HEY WHAT'D YOU GIVE FOR THEM THERE TIRES" but if someone could maybe give me an acceptable price so I could at least have something to go on, I'd appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows of an outlet in the southern US (north Alabama) that would be great. I have seen some mention of these being tubed tires instead of standard radials, what size tube do they need and where do you even source one?

I would like to point out I am brand new to these and am still learning, so I may have many things incorrect, so I apologize in advance.

thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gensco has your tires in Anniston. Noflats.com. Super prices on the 395's, like $150 for a 80%.

sp00n

gimpy- your pm box is apparently full and I can't respond to you. you mentioned something about mpt and a3 rims not being sufficient? you have lost me with the mpt talk. Are you saying the factory A2 wheel is too narrow for 395s? or the A3 is narrow? I am lost, don't know what mpt means :lol:

By the time.you buy a decent deuce, tires and wheels.to single.it.out, and a few other things, you are better off in the long run just to buy an A3 and be done.with it. Decent Cat engine, Allison auto trans, air.assist.steering, and dual.circuit breaks. That is why I got an A3, rather than an A2. More.$ up front, less.later.

sp00n

By the time.you buy a decent deuce, tires and wheels.to single.it.out, and a few other things, you are better off in the long run just to buy an A3 and be done.with it. Decent Cat engine, Allison auto trans, air.assist.steering, and dual.circuit breaks. That is why I got an A3, rather than an A2. More.$ up front, less.later.

Cost is not the reasoning of an A2, the noisy turd of an LDT engine and the manual transmission are my calling. A3s seem to have many advantages but I do not own a forklift or a crew of men to help me swap drivetrain parts on one of these machines, so an A2 it will be.

Oh, my A3 is.my daily driver. Sold the.F-150 and the deuce is my pickup truck. The Mich 14.5r20 XLs have done great in both mud and snow. Out in 12" snow I never needed to lock in the front axle..Went bogging on Post in a. Couple feet of mud. Same thing, rear axles.only. Powered right thru it no problem. Have been very pleased.with the performance. Have only added a fiberglass hard top from White Owl and a Warn 18K winch.on the.front. Soon there will be another on the back. Great truck--no regrets with passing on the A2 for.the.A3. The deuce A2 fanatics really.like to.bash the A3 for.no logical reason. Perhaps envy for.it.being a much.better.truck? Perhaps they could tone it.down a little. There is.plenty of.room.for.us.all of us in this hobby. No need to.bash those with a different MV.

Oh, lesson learned.the.hard.way: turn off.the lights.when bogging. I blew.both headlights.low.beams. Had a.spare set.of.new ones. However.that should.never happen to me again. Just got full set of.LED headlamps, front turn signals, and rear tail lights.

oldMan99

Cost is not the reasoning of an A2, the noisy turd of an LDT engine and the manual transmission are my calling. A3s seem to have many advantages but I do not own a forklift or a crew of men to help me swap drivetrain parts on one of these machines, so an A2 it will be.
OK, I have been around a few months, done a lot of reading but I have mostly focused on 5 ton and up trucks. However, the relative low cost of a 2.5 tons has me interested in something to play with and to keep on stand by.

So I have a couple questions this OP may also benefit from.

1: If you wanted to keep duals on the Deuce, what is the largest (tallest) tire you can go with? (What size come stock?)

2: It is my understanding (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong) that the "Classic Deuce" 2.5 ton truck is a multi fuel, standard trans, open differential truck supplied with dual tandem NDT type tires.

The M35A2 is the same basic truck that has been overhauled/rebuilt (Depot job?) and in so doing they installed a rebuilt/overhauled motor (Same type/size???) automatic trans, super singles (Size?) and CTIS (That may or may not actually work worth a cr@p depending on the luck of the purchaser.)
2A: Did they also put lockers in at the same time?
2C: Is any of the "understanding" in question #2 even sort of close to correct?

3: Apparently something has given him (The OP) the idea that an A2 (I assume we are talking about a M35A2?) would require extensive "Swapping of drivetrain parts" I was/am not aware of this. Did I miss something?

4: Does the M35A2 have the mulit-fuel engine? (This engine is one reason I think it would be a good idea to have one of these trucks... Just in case... (Loaded with tin foil and hat shaped molds of course)

5: On a multi fuel engine, what do you have to do to change fuels? - Is there anything you need to do to the engine when changing from one to the other?
5A: Can you mix the fuels in the tank however you want or are there restrictions/procedures?
5B: What size/hp rating is the multifuel?

I hope this is useful to the OP and does not hijack his thread to far away from his original question.

As always, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ODdave

Oh, my A3 is.my daily driver. Sold the.F-150 and the deuce is my pickup truck. The Mich 14.5r20 XLs have done great in both mud and snow. Out in 12" snow I never needed to lock in the front axle..Went bogging on Post in a. Couple feet of mud. Same thing, rear axles.only. Powered right thru it no problem. Have been very pleased.with the performance. Have only added a fiberglass hard top from White Owl and a Warn 18K winch.on the.front. Soon there will be another on the back. Great truck--no regrets with passing on the A2 for.the.A3. The deuce A2 fanatics really.like to.bash the A3 for.no logical reason. Perhaps envy for.it.being a much.better.truck? Perhaps they could tone it.down a little. There is.plenty of.room.for.us.all of us in this hobby. No need to.bash those with a different MV.
A lil off subject but do you have any pics or vid of the truck in the mud or snow? do you have lockers in the rear? was there weight in the rear?

ODdave

[thumbzup] NOT bashing a3's or any of there owners but my a2 will run circles around any a3 ive been in. There not turds if there tuned a lil. I definatly like the hydro winch on the a3 better and the fact they have nicer tires.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

I agree, plenty of room for both, but, what you call better, I call lacking. Yes there is more power with the Cat motor, but you get a slower truck with an expensive auto trans. We should just agree to disagree on certain things. At least both trucks brought us together.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Oh I forgot, the A3 rim has a bead lip designed for MPT tires. That means the rim lip, where the tire seats against the rim, is smaller than a regular rim, like the hemtt rims. As I said, there are people running 395s on the A3 rims, it just isn't for me. A quick search of MPT rim in the deuce or hod rod deuce forum will bring up reading material.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks