• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for in a deuce?

duecedodger

Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a M35A2 from a local surplus dealer here in PA. I have a few questions before I go to buy it my first question is, what are some common things I should look for when I inspect the truck leaks, rust, worn tires etc... Second is this really the right MV for me? The truck will be my ONLY vehicle so with that said how good are these trucks for daily drivers? I'm only going 24 miles round trip a day to and from work so it wont be too bad with fuel. Third How long do the 9x20 NDTs last, 10,000 miles 100,000 miles? and MPGs are right around 10-13? Thanks Frank

The deuce is a fine vehicle... But it is a much better second vehicle, some people use them as daily drivers, I'd recommend against it. See the video series on youtube "So you want to by a deuce". Download the technical manuals (TMs) from this website and read them to see what you are getting into. Everything is bigger even the tools. Go to a local swap meet or rally to talk with and maybe even drive a deuce.

duecedodger

Now that is a series I am very familiar with and have seen all 6 parts so far! Also got the TMs saved to my laptop and have read a lot of them. I will most likely do that when I get the time.

jsthnt@gmail.com

General Granite is my primary vehicle, and I love to drive it every day. That being said, it is a 40 year old military vehicle. Your car might break down at some point, but a deuce will have issues. These issues might be easy enough to fix, but it might take a week to get a part. But as I said, I love to drive mine. It is 100 degrees here today and I am going to take it for a ride just because I can.

Flyingvan911

A deuce is a pain as a daily driver if you do much driving in town. Most parking areas/lots are not set up for such big vehicles and their huge turning radius.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dueces are one of the worlds best SECOND VEHICLES a person can buy, but could certainly have its challenges as a primary mode of transportation! They are great trucks BUT remember its 40 plus years old, would you buy a 40 year old car as your primary mode of transportation, probably not! As far as what to look for Rust is a big one, how does the engine start and run? Leaks as in main seals on the engine and axle seals, it it a hard top or not (depending on your climate) does it have a heater in it? how does it drive AND STOP!, how does the radiator look, any signs of coolant leakage or seeping? tires, belts etc. are incidentals they can all be had fairly cheap. Like I said they are a GREAT second vehicle!
KK

duecedodger

So the deuce could be used as a DD just not in town a lot? This might be a problem considering I will be parking it in my ally next to my house... the neighbors like the idea of me getting one so that's a good thing I guess. How bad is the turning radius of the deuce?

Diecorpse

I use to drive mine every day to work, the store, the smoke shop(cigarettes), and wherever I felt like going. I usually didn't have any issues. The best way to describe it, it's like driving around a box truck (uhaul,Ryder,Budget,etc) and imagine driving that everywhere. If you know how to drive a truck or did in the past, then go for it. When you ask a question like that, you will get all different opinions. The Deuce is a very dependable truck when it's taken care of, just like anything else. The age isn't a huge factor, other than the fact it has lots of old parts and gaskets. When you look over a Deuce, you have to check everything like you would on a car, except we all know there's a little more to it. Best question to ask yourself would be, "Do I want a Deuce because it will meet my needs and wants, and be within my budget?" If you truly feel thats what you want, then by all means, go for it, if not, then get one as your secondary vehicle. I'm sure, just like most of us, after you get one, you'll have all kinds of plans for it. Another vehicle will be a great idea, even a beater would be good. Like others said, at some point of time you will be doing something to your truck, and it's not fun if you stay up all night, at least another vehicle will let you take your time and not rush things, or will aid you while you wait for parts to be shipped. My Deuce is my favorite truck that I have ever had, but my clunker has saved my rear a couple times. Just be sure it's what you want ànd your happy about your decision. Try to find someone near you that has one and see if you can ride or drive it through town if your worried about it, that would give you an idea of what to expect. Best of luck to you!!

Diecorpse

I did forget to mention a few things. You want to check the batteries, alternator, air compressor, the air tanks, fuel tank and pump, any leakage from gaskets through out the motor and fuel filter gaskets, check for bad axle seals and leakage, check brake and parking brake, test all the lights, overlook radiator for seepage, check all belts and hoses. That should cover the basics, especially while the truck is not running, then you obviously check for noises that aren't correct in motor and tranny, and the brakes while in motion. The Ndt tires, couldn't tell ya how many miles, but the front ones do wear quickly if you drive paved roads a lot. They are ok tires but they suck in the winter. Not the going part, the stopping part, you slide all over in any direction, the definition of non directional, lol. Don't get me wrong, they are great vehicles, but unless everything has been replaced with newer gaskets, fresh lubricants, and recently rebuilt motor, tranny, and axles, you will have some work cut out for you. Biggest reasons why are the age of the gaskets, how much the truck sat and how hard it was abused in service. Most of the time you will never truly know. I love to drive my truck, the more, the better. Hope my rambling on was helpful, if not no biggie, lol.

hunderliggur

I have a M1009 as my daily driver, and the Deuce as "the truck". I could picture driving the deuce daily in my situation, but I have easy parking on both ends and 47 miles of DC freeways in between. I source some low cost "dirty" fuel at a great price that with a little filtering will run fine. When they are down for repairs it can take time for the right parts.

59apache

Chipmaker
i would recommend as the only vehicle. DD or not, a small vehicle that needs close to no gas and space is an advantage. no matter if its your own, wife spouse parents what ever.
for xtra storage you can bulid a simple box like this:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?63469-box-for
it's not funny to see your purchases fly away on the highway....:mrgreen:

my personal preference was airshift front axle, dropside. the truck was running good, brakes good, not to much rust. No major leaks. So i bought it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the deuce could be used as a DD just not in town a lot? This might be a problem considering I will be parking it in my ally next to my house... the neighbors like the idea of me getting one so that's a good thing I guess. How bad is the turning radius of the deuce?
This suggests that you live within an incorporated municipality and do not have sufficient space to park the vehicle on property that you own. Before taking the plunge, I suggest that you consult with your municipality to see what the restrictions are for parking a tandem axle truck in an alley. Many places have, sometimes severe, restrictions on anything resembling a commercial vehicle or vehicle above a certain weight or size in residential areas. You want to know exactly where you stand. Pun intended.
While cool that your neighbours cheer you on, people do move, new residents may not be as supportive and sometimes neighbours report you to the authorities, because they can. You want to be on solid ground when it comes to that.
Alley parking also means additional cost, from insurance to having to make the truck - which does not come with any useful locks or anti-theft or anti-tamper protection, whatsoever - tamper-, theft- and vandalproof.

sparragh

I too am new to the Deuce. I recently purchased a 1974 and drove it home 800 miles. I am having some minor issues with it, mainly the FDC. It seems to be bypassing fuel into the crankcase and in turn, out the tube on the right side of the engine causing a "self undercoating" issue. I am not a very good mechanic, and can't really afford $130.00 hr for a shop to look at it. I looked up the post on how to bypass the FDC, but it is blurry, and I'm having a hard time to read it. Also, the local MV enthusiasts that I spoke with for some help and advice to fix this issue told me that they don't have time to help me. Maybe, I should have got myself into stamp collecting instead.

Actually my local suburban headache is road weight restrictions that seem to pop up everywhere. Some of the bridge ones make sense... I suspect the weight restrictions on Canal Rd. are to keep the canal from slipping into the canal but some others are just crazy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks