• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for when buying a M35A2?

simaviator13

Hi everyone,

I am a new forum member, and first let me say what a great wealth of knowledge this site and this community brings to the hobby, I firmly believe its this community that keeps this hobby alive!

Anyway, why am I posting (and I apologize if this is the wrong category for this), I recently started shopping around on various gov auction sites looking for a 6x6. I found some great stuff out there at reasonable prices, during this is I came across the multifuel engine which I think is fantastic! And was a bit surprised to see that all the newer military trucks use cat or cummings diesel engines instead of the multifuel. At this point I know I want a multifuel engine which means I need a M35A2C/D (would prefer the C turbo but would be fine with a D model). I have downloaded and read thru the various TM's on the M35 here and done a lot of web research, I feel confident enough at this point to go look at a few M35's, there are a few in my area locally (I reside in connecticut).

Other than the common leaks (axel seals, wheel cylinders) what other issues should I be looking for during a pre-purchase inspection? What issues would you consider a do not buy issue? What issues did you uncover after you got your Deuce home that you wish you knew about up front?

I have never owned a vehicle as large as duece but I do all my own work on my personal cars and trucks (full size pickup) and it seems that everything on duece can be done with very basic hand tools and elbow grease. I would be confident wrenching on a duece due to the simplicity of them.

I also noticed in going thru past auction sales on M35A2's, it seems they have been climbing in price over the last few years. In my market I can get one for between 3000 and 5000 condition depending. I have seen some fully restored over 10K and some almost perfect for around 7K. What would you consider "a good price" for a running and driving duece, with minor issues and rust (im in the NE so everything including newer trucks have rust).

I look forward to any and all replys!! Thanks in advance!

daytonatrbo

As a new owner myself, I can't give you the most exhaustive response.

However, I would recommend as part of the PPI that you take the truck for a test drive. Get it up to speed and listen to it. These are big trucks, so the bad noises are big and loud.

I just picked up a pair and one of them runs smooth and sweet, but has a very audible drivetrain whine above 40 mph. The other runs a little lumpy, but is smooth and quiet at speed. I'm hoping some minor maintenance will have them both sounding and running better.

I got a package deal on mine and paid $5k for the pair. The other asking prices I have seen in my area are consistent with what you seem to find.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome to the site, if you look below you will see "Similar Threads" pretty much any question you may have has been answered before in one of these. Also try and find a member in your area that can let you drive one or if lucky enough go with you to check out your future purchase.

simaviator13

Thanks Warthog, I swore I read/heard somewhere that the C's were the whistler turbo and the D's were the quieter turbos. I also read/heard that the early non turbo variants smoked like a train, and the turbo was added to cut down on the smoke. And later due to the whistler turbo being loud it was swapped out for the quieter turbo. My understanding is the M35 is non turbo, M35A2 is the later turbo variant. Can you confirm/deny, also other than the sound of the turbo how can one tell which turbo is installed?

Ive bene doing alot of research, and am really itching to make a purchase, but I dont want to go in uneducated and want to learn as much as possible.

Thanks again!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a good primer for all the Deuce models.

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_www_deuce_m35.php

The actual Family number for the Deuce is the M44 series of trucks (early 5-tons are M809 and the later 5-tons the M939)

Only way to tell which turbo is one the truck (if there is one) is by the sound or the shape of the turbo (C skinny whistler - D - fat quiet)

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself I would drive it and see how the trans. shifts. Using high range apply throttle and then let off and see if the transfer case lever drops out of high. As said above give it a good look over.

fasttruck

Thye best advise I ever got about military vehicles is "Read the reading."Don't make a move without a -10, -20 manual(s) and the applicable
LO for the vehicle you have. If you do not know what those are you need to find out. The best kept secret in the United States military is its'
publication system. And now you have your choice between digital and paper mediums !

SteveKuhn

After watching most of the auctions recently, I'd want to buy from an individual. I've seen several in recent years from auction need far more in fixup $ than it would have cost for a running one from a private owner.

A friend just bought one a couple weeks ago from Jatonka. We met up with John around Albany where he had already done a 90 mile test drive from his place, and drove it the rest of the way down the Thruway to NJ for about a 190 mile run. It was very thoroughly prepped, had some of John's aftermarket parts on it, and ran like a top. It wasn't a cheapie deal but had it been my money, I would have considered the deal extremely fair. I know John has a few more in various states so he's worth a call.

There are a couple other guys on here in NJ and PA who might have a truck for you, so if they pop up with a response it's worth some investigation.

After watching a friend by a GL Air Force Deuce and need to replace the engine and redo most of the brake and axle parts, I'd think long and hard about buying an auction truck unless it was a steal. And I almost did that with a 5 ton in NH a few weeks back.

What's the 1st thing to consider? In my mind, it's who's selling it. Then you'll positively love it.

Steve

simaviator13

Warthog, Pokry I have gone thru the posted links and related threads, still have alot to digest, but I now know the turbo model (C or D) is listed on the engine plate and that a M35A2C or D can have either turbo. Thanks for the info, seems this is a common confusion among new users, and I'm sure I wont be the last guy bring this up.

Floridanson, great tip, thanks!

Fast truck, I am learning alot but still have alot to read it seems, thanks.

SteveKuhn, Thanks for the advice. It seems private party sale is the only option for me here in the NE, I have not located any GL's in my area. And when looking across the country the only M35A2's I find at GL are in horrid condition. Not to mention as you said alot less risk in purchasing private, and I hope to get lucky and find one already titled :)

Thanks again everyone for the replies so far!

066logger

So I think I’m in the market for a deuce as well. I seem to be in pretty much the same place as this guy, pretty mechanicaly inclined and needing a reasonably priced truck to use around the farm. I have a 5,000’ driveway that’s all creek gravel now and I have a creek full of gravel but no way to haul it.

So here is where I think the m35a2 would be a good fit, if I convert it to dump and get a trailer to haul my tractor locally, less than 30 mile trips. Approx 7,500lb load at most.

I want absolute simplicity, I’m all about having minimal electronics and complexity. I bought my tractor specifically as a manual for this reason. The deuce seems to be even better. What do you all think? Is there something for the money civilian or otherwise that would do the same job? I have thought a lot about this and for the money the deuce seems to win every time.

I took a look at one today, honestly I was impressed with how simple it was. the size seemed to be about perfect as well. Ill be looking to purchase one in the next year or so. Anyone know of a truck that could be bought worth the money in central Missouri? Can I post a WTB add in the classifieds? Also, thanks for this site. The amount of information here is awesome!!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you can post a wtb ad in the classifieds.

CMPPhil

So I think I’m in the market for a deuce as well......

So here is where I think the m35a2 would be a good fit, if I convert it to dump and get a trailer to haul my tractor locally, less than 30 mile trips. Approx 7,500lb load at most.
........Anyone know of a truck that could be bought worth the money in central Missouri? Can I post a WTB add in the classifieds? Also, thanks for this site. The amount of information here is awesome!!
Hi

Suggestion on finding any military vehicle reach out to the military vehicle clubs in your region, you may be pleasantly surprised what vehicles may turn up. From vehicles that ran when parked four or five years ago, to vehicles that are in good condition that people just don't have the time or ability to drive anymore.

It is not always a matter of price but people looking for a good home for their prized truck that has given them years of fun.

Cheers Phil

Last edited:

2deuce

I would say the main thing to avoid is rust. Once it starts it is hard to stop. Then how it runs and drives. Next up are options or add ons, like hard top, drop side bed, air assist, winch, pyro, etc. Auctions seem to get bid higher than they should, they are a roll of the dice. I just bought a M49a2c at auction. Sometimes there is little choice, there is always some risk. Just expect to pay for the nicest examples. Good Luck