• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for when CUCv shopping?

cscmc1

I am hoping to look at a couple of CUCV's soon, and besides the obvious (for me, RUST and blowby, neither of which I want to deal with!), what are some good things to check on a CUCV? I am a diesel guy, to a degree, but have owned primarily VW and Mercedes oil burners. We do the "teapot" test with those: loosen the oil filler cap, set it on the filler hole, and see if it "dances" (to get an idea of blowby condition). I'll also look around for rust, of course, but wondered whether the usual spots might be.

Anything else in particular to look for? Easy ways to check operation of 4wd, and so on? I have done a brief search (and read the answers to FAQ thread), and hope I'm not missing the obvious here... apologies in advance if this topic's already been discussed.

Thanks, all!

Cucvnut

What are your major concerns? they all should have the GP relay changed,Dog head Relay and fuel block changed to spin on style. What model Cucv are you looking toget ?

cscmc1

Thanks, Cucvnut. I am looking at two, both '86 models. I just want a kickaround diesel Blazer, and have always like the military variant. I'm aware of their limitations on the highway, and am content to stick to 60mph or less when I do need to travel. My primary concerns are avoiding bodywork and major mechanical repairs. I have done engine swaps, head gasket replacements, etc... in the past, and I simply DO NOT have time for them now (with two very young kids). I don't mind routine maintenance one bit, and am somewhat handy with a wrench. GP relay sounds like it ought to be a breeze, and the doghead relay mod is the starter relay fix, correct? I can handle this sort of thing.

Thanks again!

Cucvnut

yes they both are easy. if your looking at a M1009 you will have no issue's on the freeway. But if your looking at a M1008 variant then yes freeways suck.

jaymcb

rust on the floorboards, rust around the wheel wells, cracks on the frame near the steering box, oil leaks at the pan, oil leaks at the rear main, bad harmonic balancers, oil leaks at the tailshaft on the THM400, wiring/ground issues, starter issues, generator issues, glow plug issues, GP issues, injector issues, bent wheels, worn hubs, bad u-joints, bad or bent driveshafts, oil cooler line leaks, wheel cylinder leaks.

I could go on, but I still like my 1009. I can't help but smile every time I drive it.

rbeasley66

rust on the floorboards, rust around the wheel wells, cracks on the frame near the steering box, oil leaks at the pan, oil leaks at the rear main, bad harmonic balancers, oil leaks at the tailshaft on the THM400, wiring/ground issues, starter issues, generator issues, glow plug issues, GP issues, injector issues, bent wheels, worn hubs, bad u-joints, bad or bent driveshafts, oil cooler line leaks, wheel cylinder leaks.
Sounds like a typical 1009 :whistle:

txmytx_catahoula

Not to scare you away from a CUCV (I really like my M1009), but you are looking at a vehicle that is at least 26 years old. Look at all the places the vehicle can leak fluids, if it isn't leaking, it might be empty. I've replace just about all the big seals with the PITA ones being around the rotating assemblies ( front & rear trans, front & rear engine).

The saying for CUCV's is "if it's rubber replace it, if it's electric, clean it!!"

Have fun and Good luck!

Atwater

i would add run away from any that look like they have had a lot of electrical modsaua

any indication of a often wet interior might indicate hidden corrosion in the wiring up under the dash. ie one of my coworkers used a pressure washer on the interior of one our trucks:cookoo:, it still runs but has a number of issues now .

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
MY usual advice to want-to-be cucv owners, check the condition of the teather, signs of dragging

Last edited:

cscmc1

Thanks, folks. I'll report back after I can have a look at these trucks. The first has just over 40K miles, but as a Guard member myself, I understand that hours vs. miles are two very different things! He have bread trucks in my Air Guard unit that can sit and idle for a full 8-hour shift during alert ops.

Anyway, I appreciate all the advice, and look forward to applying your collective wisdom as I shop. Hope these trucks I am looking at are as nice as the pics indicate, but I'll be checking them closely!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
for me, RUST and blowby, neither of which I want to deal with!
Just worry about rust, a CUCV won't "blowby" anything(well maybe an electric scooter...)rofl

cscmc1

Just worry about rust, a CUCV won't "blowby" anything(well maybe an electric scooter...)rofl
Nice one. Can't be TOO much slower than an automatic Mercedes 240D... can it? :wink:

So, in all sincerity, are these engines pretty solid? Is blowby much of an issue? Thanks again...

jaymcb

They can be slower than a 240D.

The engines are what they are. 140HP, 26+ years old, unknown maintenance, and you know they had the living crap beat out of them, because whoever drove it was not responsible for paying for/fixing it. Glow plugs go, injectors go, injector pumps go, harmonic balancers go, and every conceivable seal leaks. Oh, and they don't like being over-revved.

All that said, I still like my 1009. I drove my son to a birthday party in the 109 to give her a run and let the CTIS pump my tires up.

Then I ran to the parts store with the 1009...air filter, headlight, then back again because the headlight bucket screws would NOT come out. The chrome headlight retainer is due for it's second coat of flat black, and then I am just 1 passenger side mirror short of a sticker to have her all legal like.

OL AG '89

As a former mechanic, plt leader and finally Company Commander, I can tell you the guys who drove the truck DID NOT have to pay to fix or repair them, but they defintely "paid" for it when the vehicle was NMC. (Non-Mission Capable) A GOOD driver never abused their vehicle because it's what got him there and it's what would get him HOME.
I own 2 1009's and I do regular PMCS on both of them on a revolving status. These are not vehicles that have "mysterious" maintenance record as someone posted. The U.S. Military has VERY specific mintenance requirements that are followed to maintain the vehicle in a Mission Capable Status.
The CUCV is a civillian vehicle modified for the military, not to make it tougher, but to make it easier to maintain in mass. So if you have a mechanical aptitude and you enjoy tinkering, then get one and soon you will want another.
Download the TM's and go to town!!

cscmc1

UPDATE: I went against every "car shopping" instinct I have and bought the first CUCV I looked at. It was quite the adventure. We have 3 kids (2 months and 20 months old, so a real handful) and the truck was in Chicago, over 3 hours drive from here. I talked my wife into letting me take a night train up so as not to abandon her with both kids on a weekend for TOO long.

Anyway, the train was running late, and sat idle for 40 minutes at one point to make way for a freight train, but i finally got to Chicago at 10:30pm. The seller met me at the train station, and I gave the truck a once-over and drove it. Bought it on the spot, and proceeded to drive it home, through torrential rain and Chicago traffic.

I babied it at 55-60mph the whole way, just to be safe and get a feel for things, but it ran like a top with plenty of power. NO issues on the 4-hour trip. Got in at 3:30am and sacked out for bit before church and Father's Day activities.

I'm lovin' it so far! She's starting easily and there are few things to tend to early-on. No rust that I can see (Nevada truck), but the desert paint has been poorly touched-up with a rattle can here and there, and they don't match all that well. We'll get that sorted out in time. I want to change the fluids first, then add water temp and oil pressure gauges. Never have been a fan of idiot lights. Need to check the starter relay to see whether it's ever been updated, too.

Thanks for all the advice!

I'll start a new thread and add pics as time allows. Meantime, here's a quickie:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks