• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what to look for when shopping for an m818?

good idea bad idea

• good idea you'll be fine

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • good idea as long as your not in a hurry

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • bad idea you'll be in 1st gear all they way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get something bigger

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

mikes47jeep

Hi guys

What should I be looking for when buying an M-818 tractor?

What are the common problems that I should look for?

Can a civilian trailer (airbrake equipped) be hauled with an M-818?

What kind of gas mileage can I expect to get with a load?

What kind of highway speed can I get with a load?

I'm looking to haul an M8 greyhound and a M3 halftrack total weight 28,000 lbs

Our longest trip would probably be from Philadelphia PA to Pittsburg PA

So is an m818 a good idea?

Mike

fasttruck

1. m 818s are compatable with civilian brakes but lights are another issue. You want to haul 40,000 to pittsburg ? soret the gears out to find the one it will pull allegheny mt in (3rd under i think) and walk it up there. A m 915 would be more suited to highway work; goes faster especially up hill and has a jake to slow you going down. m 818 will run 52w mph on flat ground somewhat less up hill.

Scrounger

The 818 has a few things going for it and a few things against.
The NHC-250 is a very reliable but underpowered engine. Besides the obvious things like oil pressure, leaks and what not is to check the oil for milkyness. The 250 uses O rings to seal the liners in the block. If they are leaking, water gets in the oil and it turns milky, it’s not common but on an older truck it is something lookout for.
The only other thing is that the six rubber fuel lines will have to be replaced that go to the fuel selector valve, ask me how I know.
Most civilian trailers can be pulled with an 818, the exception are 13’6” trailers. One can pull them; however you will be 14’4” high. Commercial fifth wheels are 47” high whereas the 818 is 57” high. The trailer that would work “best” would probably be a low equipment type trailer. There are a couple of options on the lights. The easiest would be to have LED lights on the trailer that are 12/24 volt compatible and just use an adapter for the light plug. The second option would be to install dual lights, keep the 12 volt and install 24 volt lights.
One can expect about 6.5 miles to the gallon grossing at 60,000 lbs. Figure a top speed of 52 MPH, and a lot slower on the hills.
The one thing going for the 818 that no commercial tractor has going for it is six wheel drive. That means one can go places that road tractors couldn’t even think of being driven. That comes in handy for parking and turning around in questionable areas. If one isn’t making a bunch of trips and doesn’t mind the longer drive an 818 would work fine for what you plan on using it for.

mikes47jeep

well we only go to about 9-10 events a year

the longest trip is about 250 miles 1 way about

99% highway travel

so for our needs would you guys say its a good rig?

ncduece

i used mine to tow this 500 miles its slow to get up to speed even on flat ground. if you get to any hills it will be down in 3rd gear in the mountains 2nd gear but i don't mind going slow. i agree that its a big plus being able to turn in questionable areas. look for leaks around the front wheel boots. check to make sure the engine will start easily start cold. when you throttle the engine up it should drop rpms quickly when you lift off the throttle if not its pulling air into the fuel. the one in the picture is for sale in Wilmington nc

jimmcld

" when you throttle the engine up it should drop rpms quickly when you lift off the throttle if not its pulling air into the fuel. "

That's exactly what my M816 has been doing. What causes it?

Jim

jimmcld

I just fixed a leak where the fuel line goes into the tank and it did seem to do a lot better, now that I think about it. I just never put the two together. Thanks. Made my whole day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks