• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for?

JamesCameron1

Hey all... My name is James and I am thinking about getting my first deuce. I have found a unknown year (possible 1985) M35A2C. I have never purchase anything like this nor do I know much about them. I used to be a truck driver and love the outdoors so I figured this would be a logical direction to go for a hobby. The listing for this deuce claims it ran when parked but it doesn't crank when they tried to start it recently. To me this sounds like a simple battery issue but I could be wrong. Anyways... long story short, I would like some tips on what to look for when purchasing a deuce. Thanks in advance!:grin:

goodguyzy

I know which ones you are looking at, they look like good clean trucks. More than likely just need batts charged. As with any auction its always a crap shoot.

wsucougarx

LOL, I think everyone is watching those trucks. Considering the last M35A2C sold for $10,500. I can tell you this, those particular trucks are all late model trucks with the dual circuit brakes. There are a bunch of tall tale signs indicating they are manuf between 1987-1989. Being USAF, you can bet they have been taken care of. Those trucks have been out of the system for sometime so naturally the batteries are dead. That's typically why they don't crank over. Still, it's a crap shoot. Best to try and look over anything you plan on buying.

steelandcanvas

Yikes! $10,500? I bought mine 2 years ago, and by the looks of things, just in time. Just curious though Cougar, how do we assume because they were AF, they were well taken care of? I haven't seen any maitenance differences between AF or any of the other Branches. Do you have a secret? :grin:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yikes! $10,500? I bought mine 2 years ago, and by the looks of things, just in time. Just curious though Cougar, how do we assume because they were AF, they were well taken care of? I haven't seen any maintenance differences between AF or any of the other Branches. Do you have a secret? :grin:

AF drives theirs across the air field, other branches drive theirs across the country side. :)

JamesCameron1

Yea I've given up... Its probably the owner of the Idaho Motor Pool. I guess I will start looking in other states. Quick question... can these trucks be registered as a recreational vehicle?

peashooter

Yea I've given up... Its probably the owner of the Idaho Motor Pool. I guess I will start looking in other states. Quick question... can these trucks be registered as a recreational vehicle?

Not sure on the RV registration, but you can register them as Historic / collector etc. Im sure its different in every state, but here in minnesota they can be registered as a collector if its over 20 years old. The tabs/plates are nice because we only pay $40 right away and then never have to register/pay yearly dues again.... the bad side is that we are only supposed to use these vehicles for going to parades, collector type events, etc (not sure how/if they actually enforce it though).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks